Author Topic: Help with crackle paste  (Read 1368 times)

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
Help with crackle paste
« on: 18 March 2022, 08:59:39 »
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with using crackle paint for basing. I'm trying to go for a dried river bed effect, but the cracks I keep getting are huge, rather than a uniform many cracks.

The technique I have been doing is: prime, paint the base with a single coat of brown, apply a layer of PVA glue (white Elmer's glue), dry overnight, apply a medium layer (1.5mm - 2mm) of Golden Crackle Paste which has been mixed with brown and black GW paint, dry overnight.

You can see the results in the images I've attached. I'd love any tips or tricks on how to get smaller, denser, more uniform cracks.

Thanks!

"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Help with crackle paste
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2022, 12:17:02 »
The putty shrinks as it dries, creating the cracks. The thicker the layer, the bigger the cracks, so try thinner layers.

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2022, 16:47:42 »
The putty shrinks as it dries, creating the cracks. The thicker the layer, the bigger the cracks, so try thinner layers.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Any recommendations for thickness? The paste itself is pretty fluffy.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2022, 16:49:35 »
It's also dependant on the brand. I've used AK dark dry mud paste, and the small crackles I get aren't particularly satisfying.

Edit: the AK stuff is wet and gloopy, like pourable custard. Not fluffy at all!

I haven't tried the Citadel "technical" stuff yet. The problem, I think, is that most of these are designed for use with 1:100 or 1:72 scale WW2/3 minis; this allows a thicker paste, and gives results that look not right with 1:200/1:285 stuff.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2022, 16:52:01 »
It's also dependant on the brand. I've used AK dark dry mud paste, and the small crackles I get aren't particularly satisfying.

Edit: the AK stuff is wet and gloopy, like pourable custard. Not fluffy at all!

I haven't tried the Citadel "technical" stuff yet. The problem, I think, is that most of these are designed for use with 1:100 or 1:72 scale WW2/3 minis; this allows a thicker paste, and gives results that look not right with 1:200/1:285 stuff.

I've tried the Citadel Martian Red (or whatever its called) and its great, just pricey. The Golden Crackle is really fluffy though. Much cheaper, but doesn't have the same microcrack effect. I'll try thinning it out.

Register