Author Topic: Testors Dullcote Question  (Read 1750 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Testors Dullcote Question
« on: 01 May 2022, 10:42:44 »
Ok community—

Used some dullcote under ideal spraying conditions:  70 degrees, 34% humidity.  Did a couple sprays over four minis that are stubbornly glossy.  Finish is now matte, which is good.  However, there are little white chunks on the minis in random places.  It appears to be accumulated varnish.

Is this normal?  Did I spray too much or too long?

I heated can in warm water for five minutes, and shook the bejesus out of it for two full minutes.  Anyone know what went wrong here?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Testors Dullcote Question
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2022, 11:22:06 »
Each layer needs to dry before adding another.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2022, 16:18:37 »
Dullcoat needs to be shaken for 5 minutes before using, to get a matte finish. Sounds like too many coats.

Try and find Humbrol acrylic matt. 30 to 60 seconds shaking for reliable matt finish from a light coat. I use it over a gloss coat for durability.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2022, 12:19:45 »
Couldn't find humbrol on Amazon or at my local hardware store.  5 minutes of shaking is just crazy, feels like my arm would fall off. 

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2022, 16:23:08 »
Couldn't find humbrol on Amazon or at my local hardware store.  5 minutes of shaking is just crazy, feels like my arm would fall off.

You just need to watch motivational videos of the appropriate kind for that type of shaking motion, train you arms a bit.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2022, 06:19:43 »
Shake this can for 5 minutes each day and YOU TOO can look like Geralt from The Witcher! (Results not guaranteed, not intended as a weaight loss supplement. For best results eat a healthy diet and excersise daily.)

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2022, 21:36:27 »
And when you can't find Dullcote in stock, Vallejo Matt Acrylic Varnish! Downsides are that it's a brush-on, which will take more time and may need a second coat if you miss spots. Upsides include no noxious fumes, no waiting for good weather, and so far a good matte finish.

iDreamofMinis

• Recruit
    • I Dream of Minis
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2022, 08:00:13 »
And when you can't find Dullcote in stock, Vallejo Matt Acrylic Varnish! Downsides are that it's a brush-on, which will take more time and may need a second coat if you miss spots. Upsides include no noxious fumes, no waiting for good weather, and so far a good matte finish.

Late to the party, but I totally agree with this.  I have used spray can varnish, sometimes to success, most times to the "white-speckled" failure.  The stuff seems to be so finicky and after spending so much time painting the minis, it's worth is to paint them with one more thing - a brush on matt varnish.  So much better than rolling the dice with that spray can.

Register