Author Topic: Recreating the Partha BattleTech Paint Sets  (Read 816 times)

abou

• Captain
Recreating the Partha BattleTech Paint Sets
« on: 22 July 2022, 22:47:38 »
Look to the PDF attached to this post for the list.

A fun, but perhaps frustrating project I am working on. I have taken scans of old Ral Partha catalogs and done my best to match colors to existing lines. It is certainly incomplete, but I am more than willing to receive help.

Methodology:
I have taken scans found online or scans from catalogs I own to best match colors using Reaper's Power Palette tool to paints in their line. From there I use conversion charts to find analogs from other ranges.

Limitations:
Scans are not perfect. Many times it seems as though the colors confuse the Power Palette. Sometimes there are artifacts from the printing methods used in the 90s, which the eye may not notice but your computer does. It has taken multiple attempts to find sufficiently close analogs. Furthermore, different companies will rarely have specifically matching shades. That is the nature of mixed-pigments paints. Once you factor in user error, this will not be perfect.

Why:
Nostalgia mostly, but also trying to fill a gap in the BattleTech history with what have now been forgotten and underrated paints. These colors informed the player base how the game looked. Many players used the Summer and Autumn color packs for a long time to paint their miniatures. They are oddly unique colors, but I do think very cool. Adding white, black, and a yellow can allow you to shade or highlight the colors quite effectively.

Hopefully many find this useful; hopefully some can provide corrections or help fill in the gaps.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2022, 08:44:33 by abou »

Register