Author Topic: HBS Special mechs to table top  (Read 1748 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
HBS Special mechs to table top
« on: 07 April 2019, 01:19:47 »
I wondered if anyone had converted the HBS specials like the Highlander and Atlas you get from the SL cache to table top?  I am having problems with Steam that I just need to bite the bullet and contact them to rectify.

For example, HBS does not use Artemis at this point so I planned on the Highlander being a one-off for table top where that system is stripped from the launchers- or the launchers are just replaced with standard launchers.  The regular 732b also uses FF armor and CASE on each torso, not sure if that would be included taking it to table top.

The Atlas has more problems since its not a canon Atlas II.  It might (should?) have FF and CASE as well . . . maybe some electronics.

. . . then again, we might get RS for these on the 27th.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Jayof9s

• Captain
Re: HBS Special mechs to table top
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2019, 10:28:52 »
It depends how literally you want to take them. The Highlander is probably the easiest - it's already pretty much the standard royal. If you want you can replace the Artemis with two more DHS which just require moving a single FF crit.

The Atlas is a bit trickier - the standard Atlas II has 1 free critical and there's a 3 ton & 4 crit difference between an LB10X and an AC/20 - you can overcome the weight issue by dropping the FF for ES but then you also need to drop a double heat sink for it all to fit, so you're left with 1 ton unused and 0 crit space (.5 tons if you max the armor). One solution would be to drop the remaining external heat sink for two singles but mixing and matching double and singles is a no-no.

You could instead try with an XL but you run out of crit space nearly as fast when you try to fill the available space with double heat sinks, especially since you need to start sticking ammo in weird places to accommodate the XL taking up prime torso space. I suppose you could make the design with an XL engine and all single heat sinks - it would certainly be accurate to how overheated the design gets in the HBS game, since it would only have 18 SHS.

Edit: Actually, I overlooked the obvious - drop 3 DHS and swap the LBX for the AC/20 and re-arrange as necessary.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2019, 10:33:00 by Jayof9s »

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Re: HBS Special mechs to table top
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2019, 13:10:54 »
That Atlas is closer to the Atlas AS7-K than the Atlas AS7-D-H. There's a reason why I've been headcanoning it as "Kamea has no idea what an Atlas II is and she just found an old General's Ace Custom".

It also doesn't follow standard construction rules at all. It mixes DHS and SHS, and IIRC overflows on crits on tabletop due to FF and ES and XL not actually costing anything crit-wise in HBS battletech.

EDIT; I would suggest starting with the base of an AS7-D, add Endo Steel and DHS, replace the CT Lasers with frontal MPLs and Arm Lasers with ERLLs. 13 DHS, 19 tons standard armor, and Guardian ECM or BAP to fill out the last ton and a half. It's the closest you can get. Attached file is my rendition in SSW.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2019, 13:21:03 by Caedis Animus »