Author Topic: Misadventure with prototanks.  (Read 3945 times)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Misadventure with prototanks.
« on: 01 April 2012, 12:37:16 »
So we decided to test out some new units for a game. I went with a unit I had already. And then hit prototypes for selection.
We removed a lance of the tanks to get over a small BV Snaffu.
The Scenario was for elements of House Liao to rain cause damage to the Marik Regulan facility. But when this was done I was under the impression that the thumper cannon is a proper artillery piece. So we game the Liao forces one target to be taken out.

Attackers Liao test forces

All G3/P5
Shrekk   II-X   2
Rommel Howitzer   X2

Galleon Light tank   Maxwell   X2
Striker      Ammo        X2

Demolisher   Gauss      X2
Vedettes     Rac     X2

DefendersRegulan Hussars
Patriot  PKH-2
Trebuchet TBT-8B
Sarissa MN-2A X2
Tufana X2
Mwekav Mk IX X2
Regulator RAC X2
Demolisher X2
Longinus Magnetic X2
Phalanx X2

Turn 1

The Regulans are set up to repel all invaders.  The Liao forces make a Bee line for the facility.  Some Long range fire scores hits against armor on both sides slows down some of the big tanks. And some of the lighter Buildings are reduced to rubble as Liao forces miss their targets.
With the Striker acting as a Flanking force only to be countered by the Tufanas. A Striker in immobilised while a Tufana is slowed to half movement. They also drop two Thunder Minefields down on front of the Merkava In case they considered advancing.

Turn 2

The Regulans forward line fall back while the rear units move forward. The Tufana go Demolisher hunting. While the Demolishers . The slower Tufana eats two slugs ending its danger. The Mechs focus on the Striker which advanced. After a smattering of Missles the Wheels blow leaving it stranded out in the open.
The Liao forces advance to the cover of the forest ahead of them. Taking down the slower Merkava. While the Vedettes start unloading and miss with the Rac Volleys. Then because the mechs continued using the buildings for cover. Several more collapse under Liao firepower.

Turn 3

The Mechs attempt to fall back for cover in the city. While the right tank flank move forward to support them.
A Galleon tries for disabling shots on the remaining Merkava The Regulators attempt to show it the errors of its way. The other Liao tanks are happy with their locations or just do not have the ability to move.
The Cannons drop a more buildings and take out 2 squads of Battle armor. The Galleon gets slapped badly but is still functional. The Striker and the Demolisher exchange fire leaving the Striker a smoking hulk and the demolishers crew stunned and Immobile. The Vedettes both Jam their Racs.

Turn 4

The Mechs attempt to fall back for cover in the city. While the right tank flank move forward to support them.
A Galleon tries for disabling shots on the remaining Merkava The Regulators attempt to show it the errors of its way. The other Liao tanks are happy with their locations or just do not have the ability to move.
The Cannons drop a more buildings and take out 2 squads of Battle armor. The Galleon gets slapped badly but is still functional. The Striker and the Demolisher exchange fire leaving the Striker a smoking hulk and the demolishers crew stunned and Immobile.

Turn 5

The Vedettes fall back to the from direct fire and unjam their Main guns.
A single Demolisher advances and become the Tufanas target of choice. The missiles tear off threads leaving the tank a pillbox.
 Its lance mate fails to take the Tufanaout of the fight when it skids just avoiding the incoming Gauss slug.
Happy with its location the Trebuchet continues to rain down harassing fire. While the other Regulan mechs regroup and set up for a rush. One Regulator fails back for setting up a better attack run. While the other goes for side shots on those important side systems as the Demolisher trundles forward and uses its precision ammo to tear through the Galleon.
The Rommels target the Sarissa in an effort to take out the remaining Infantry to great success taking a unit. And the armor on the stationary Shrekkfails to hold up under enemy fire.

Turn 6

The Regulans begin their rush unaware of just how bad its going to go. All units bar the Trebuchet push again the Invaders position.  Fire can and went in every direction as a Vedette takes down a Regulator while the other one Jammed. The mechs take a pasting as the Thumper Cannon lands between them. All three are knocked down with only one Sarissa surviving the fall.  The assaulting tanks armor weathers most of return fire. But as of this moment the only Mobile tanks on Liao's side are the Vedttes and a Rommel.

Turn 7

The Patriot manages to stand on its second attempt. This give him all his guns but makes it a tempting target for the enemy.  The tanks happily take this oppertunity. Sending it crashing back into the churned dirt.
The Tufana zooms behind the enemy formation looking for more tanks to annoy.
The Merkava pulls back into the city it and the Trebuchet begin making plans to withdraw from the combat arena.
The Galleon takes enough fire to tear away the front of the little guy. But not before its return fire rattles the crew of the Demolisher enough to stun them. The hover skirt on the Regulator is blown out and it embeds itself in the dirt below. Its gun jamming as it skids to a halt.

And remember that Vedette that Jammed again last turn. The commander becoming a tad pissed off with his machine decides on a desperate measure. And Spins his tank.

Then putting the pedal to the metal it speed towards the incoming Tufana.

And tanks to some engine troubles proves unable to turn quick enough to avoid its faith as the Veddette connects with its side

Sending it bouncing into the nearby woods.
I for one was happy with this result.

The two remaining Regulan units withdrew to await reinforcements. While the Lioa force summoned their support elements in order to attempt to get Mobile again as they finished off the damaged units around them.

A very fun game. It's always interesting to play with new toys.
 The Tufana is a beast of a tank hunter. It excelled in its roll and gave a great account of itself this game. I expect to see this one opposite me more often once Lorcan gets the mini.
The Rommels preformed brilliantly at taking out Infantry. Even with a near miss they wiped out squads. And they dropped buildings with little effort on their part. And it gave us great debate on the rule for the Cannons themselves.
The new Shrekk looks nice. But Pete didn't use the Capacitators after that first turn of fire. Maybe more useful if it was in a sniper position but in the center of a fire fight the 3 extra guns a turn where worth more than. Even if these ones did have a hard time hitting with a few of them.

The Sarissa walks softly and carries a bloody big stick. I'm starting to dislike this little primitive mech

« Last Edit: 01 April 2012, 12:42:11 by markhall »

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
  • Rightly good batchall my good sport. Rightly good.
Re: Misadventure with prototanks.
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2012, 10:02:15 »
Eegads.  Never seen the Tufana before.  Nice vehicle. 

And yah, you can never expect much from a tank in my experience.  Drive it at the enemy and hope it gets immobilized in a spot that leaves plenty of targets of oppurtunity.  Otherwise, it just gets smoked.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2012, 20:02:37 »
 O0

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2012, 02:47:57 »
Eegads.  Never seen the Tufana before.  Nice vehicle. 

And yah, you can never expect much from a tank in my experience.  Drive it at the enemy and hope it gets immobilized in a spot that leaves plenty of targets of oppurtunity.  Otherwise, it just gets smoked.

It's a beaut of a Tank. I'd recommend it to an fans of the Pegasus or Harasser units.
It definitely punched above its pay grade this game.

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
  • Rightly good batchall my good sport. Rightly good.
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2012, 07:39:29 »
As someone with 2 lances of Harrassers.  You bet your biscuits I'm going to drop them in the moment I see more tanks in my opponents inventory.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2012, 05:35:44 »
Man, this game.  This game!

I decided to test out a whole mess of stuff.  The only unit in there I'd used before were the Trebuchet variant and the Demolisher.  And with the exception of the BattleArmour which did sod all, I was impressed with everything.

The Patriot is a really solid command vehicle.  It's got good firepower and protection for the tonnage, a little vulnerable because of all the ammo and the XL engine, but them's the breaks.  It performed really well.

The Sarissas were a pleasant surprise, their armour is light, but they can take a couple of big hits before going down, and the binary laser's an impressive main gun.

The Merkavas are a really solid MBT, and an exemplary use of th elight gauss rifle.  It adds a little bit of bite at long range to supplement the LRMs - especially with the big medium range bracket, but can be used well with the close range guns as wll.

And the Tufanas - they were amazing, the unit of the match for me.  Really fast with a nice main weapon.  I was boned a few times by the MML missing, so I'm going to give the iNarc variant a spin soon.

As for the game overall, it was a lot of fun.  Fighting an all-vehicle force is challenging, especially when half of it is heavy tanks because immobilising or even slowing them down is not a big help when they still have all those guns closing on you.  Spamming them with missiles is useful for crits , but it doesn't gurantee kills on larger units like it does on lights and hovertanks.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Register