Author Topic: New Tech: From Alternate Timeline with Thanks  (Read 20375 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: New Tech: From Alternate Timeline with Thanks
« Reply #30 on: 31 December 2015, 14:20:14 »
New tech for the New Year

LAM Engine
Techbase: Inner Sphere
Introduced: 3101

The combined resources of LexaTech Industries of Irece in the Draconis Combine and Gilmour MilTech of Talitha took the first steps forward in LAM technology since the fall of the original Star League.  Following the success of their LAM Gyro the two began work on an XL Engine for LAMs.

Unfortunately they found it impossible to split the engine like they had the gyro due to the additional complexity of the fusion engine.  Instead they were forced to look at extending the fusion engine within the centre torso.  Using the Yurei LAM design the engineers built a fusion engine that took up the Mech's entire torso section and found they could make significant amount of weight saving.  Due to the increase weight along the unit’s centre line the landing gear has doubled in size in the side torsos.

Rules
   The Engine weighs as much as a standard Mech's Light Engine
   The Engine takes up 12 critical slots in the centre torso
   A unit using this engine must use the LAM Gyro alongside the engine.
   Landing Gear takes up 2 slots in each side torso
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 23 March 2017, 21:05:13 »
Rayfin Capital Missile
Introduced:   3108
Deployed:   Yet to be deployed
Designer:    Elysium Technologies
Restriction:   Barracuda and AR-10 Multi Purpose Capital Launchers
Damage:      1 – C
Heat:       10
Tonnage:    90 (per missile)
Additional:   Can be combined with a Naval C3 system

Description
The Rayfin Capital Missile is a modified Barracuda Capital Missile.  If used offensively the missile with act exactly like a standard Barracuda Missile but only do a single point of capital damage.  The reason for this reduced damage is that the Rayfin is full of additional electronics which have been packed into this missile.

When the missile is fired from a ship which is part of a Naval C3 system the Rayfin can target any capital missile targeted on any ship which is part of the C3 network.  This allows ships to extend their defences around each other allowing naval flotillas to get further into a battle when working together as part of a Naval C3 system.

Rules:
The Rayfin can be fired from any Barracuda or AR-10 launcher mounted on a WarShip, DropShip or Space Station.

When fired as a normal missile or in defence of a ship, which is not part of a C3 network, the missile acts like any Barracuda missile.

When ships are operating in a C3 Network the Rayfin can be used to target any capital missile targeted on ANY ship that is within range of the C3 Network.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 25 March 2017, 17:23:06 »
I wonder if you could use a modified Rayfin to serve as a guidance system for ship-mounted weaponry?  I.e. fire a single Rayfin missile at a target, and if the firing unit chooses it can use double the Rayfin's range to target as the effective range for to-hit modifier.  (So if the ship is 30 hexes away and the Rayfin is 20 hexes away, don't use it.  But when the Rayfin is 14 hexes or less away you might want to start taking advantage of it.)

Prototype versions would only provide the bonus to the firing vessel, next version would only provide it for a single link (so if a slaved unit fires, only it and the master would benefit, but if the master fires all units benefit), the version after that can make 2 leaps, aso.  for C3i, I'd argue that the prototype only affects the firing unit, the next version only adds the next 2 closest units in the C3i group, and the next version affects all 6 units (since the 2 closest are transmitting to them).

Higher computing requirements mean Killer Whale missile body, but still only 1 pt capital damage.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 25 March 2017, 17:45:03 »
Maybe a teleoperated cap missile it's not like they get much use

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 26 March 2017, 06:42:08 »
I wonder if you could use a modified Rayfin to serve as a guidance system for ship-mounted weaponry?  I.e. fire a single Rayfin missile at a target, and if the firing unit chooses it can use double the Rayfin's range to target as the effective range for to-hit modifier.  (So if the ship is 30 hexes away and the Rayfin is 20 hexes away, don't use it.  But when the Rayfin is 14 hexes or less away you might want to start taking advantage of it.)

Prototype versions would only provide the bonus to the firing vessel, next version would only provide it for a single link (so if a slaved unit fires, only it and the master would benefit, but if the master fires all units benefit), the version after that can make 2 leaps, aso.  for C3i, I'd argue that the prototype only affects the firing unit, the next version only adds the next 2 closest units in the C3i group, and the next version affects all 6 units (since the 2 closest are transmitting to them).

Higher computing requirements mean Killer Whale missile body, but still only 1 pt capital damage.
Problem with this is you need ship with enough launchers to take advantage of this type of missile. On average, most (Non AT&T Timeline) WarShips don't have that many launchers except for the Quixote and the Athena Classes that i'm aware of.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 26 March 2017, 23:46:12 »
Problem with this is you need ship with enough launchers to take advantage of this type of missile. On average, most (Non AT&T Timeline) WarShips don't have that many launchers except for the Quixote and the Athena Classes that i'm aware of.

That's why I said ship-mounted weaponry.   >:D

So you fire a few Rayfins at a target vessel (to allow for losses due to defending fighters shooting them down), then when the Rayfin missiles are close enough you open up with your HNPPCs using the short range to-hit modifier.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 18 August 2017, 01:32:18 »
Another new piece of tech from this AU - this one in particular developed by Vition2 and based on the Barracuda MCMLS

Advanced Barracuda MCMLS (Frenzy MCMLS)

The Advanced Barracuda MCMLS or "Frenzy" MCMLS is a weapon developed by Clans Coyote and Sea Fox based off of the off the original Barracuda MCMLS developed by the SLDF.  It was developed as a way of countering some of the issues originally encountered with the Barracuda MCMLS.  The Frenzy MCMLS is designed to overwhelm a target's Anti-Missile Defence System or obliterate an aerospace fighter squadron.

Since it's original develpment both Clans Coyote and Sea Fox have deployed the weapons system while the Inner Sphere powers have also gained access to it.  Both the Clans and Inner Sphere weapons are almost completely identical to each other.

Advanced Barracuda MCMLS (“Frenzy” MCMLS)

Step 1: Firing Weapon - Roll 2d6
  - On a result of 2 the system fires in random directions and jams, requiring 3 successful attempts to unjam.  Roll a 2d6 each round each round the system is jammed, a result of 2 indicates a minor explosion doing no damage but rendering the weapon inoperable, a result of 3 results in no progress towards unjamming, while results of 4 or more makes progress towards unjamming.
  - On a result of 3 the system fires properly and jams, requiring 1 successful attempt to unjam.  Roll a 2d6 each round the system is jammed, a result of 2 indicates a minor explosion doing no damage but rendering the weapon inoperable, a result of 3 indicates no progress towards unjamming, while results of 4 or greater unjams the weapon.

Step 2: Firing the Weapon
  Roll 2d6 as if you were rolling for a standard sized missile weapon of the appropriate size (a small version rolls as if it were an LRM-5, a large as if it were an LRM-10) adding +2 to the check.  This is the number of missiles which accurately pursue their target.

Step 3: Damage
  The missile system automatically targets the facing a direct fire weapon would strike, but for each missile roll 1d6, on a 1 the damage is done to the armor facing immediately clockwise on the attack diagram, on a 6 the damage is done to the armor facing immediately counter-clockwise on the attack diagram.  Results of 2-5 strike the normal facing.

Point defense and AMS
  Target the incoming missiles as if they were a single entity but their potency is increased by 1.5x.  Excess damage over destroying one missile but not another results in a decrease in the potential for the missile to score a critical by 1.

Construction Rules
Frenzy MCMLS
  Damage                   2 per missile, with 10 missiles used per attack
  Range                    Extreme
  Heat                     250
  Weapon Slots             6
  Tonnage                  1200 tons
  Missile Tonnage          33
  Minimum Magazine Size    100
  Additional Costs         requires 2 gunners and 10 additional crewmen
                           only 1 may be mounted per firing arc
« Last Edit: 18 August 2017, 01:34:48 by Dragon Cat »

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #37 on: 17 September 2017, 21:45:09 »
I'm curious, reading your idea on the LAM engine, if they couldn't do something to coordinate twin engines in the side torsos. I've looked, and you can get a nice weight savings running two engines in tandem instead of An XL.  It would be more risky, because you'd have a higher risk of outright losing a single engine on a side. However, you'd be losing the wing, too, so, it might not matter. Then, you could run at half-power with the other engine.

That's how a lot of standard aircraft work now. Then, if you still want some balance, through in a crit or two in the CT for control links that coordinate the engine, and would count as an engine crit against both if ever hit.  Or something to that effect.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

BlackLiger

• Recruit
« Reply #38 on: 18 September 2017, 03:56:34 »
I'm curious, reading your idea on the LAM engine, if they couldn't do something to coordinate twin engines in the side torsos. I've looked, and you can get a nice weight savings running two engines in tandem instead of An XL.  It would be more risky, because you'd have a higher risk of outright losing a single engine on a side. However, you'd be losing the wing, too, so, it might not matter. Then, you could run at half-power with the other engine.

That's how a lot of standard aircraft work now. Then, if you still want some balance, through in a crit or two in the CT for control links that coordinate the engine, and would count as an engine crit against both if ever hit.  Or something to that effect.

More or less how I did twin engine superheavies. 10% of the sum total engine weight +2 ct crit slots. If the link is damaged or one engine dies, recalculate down to single engine speeds. If this results in a 0 or less, minimum movement, in the case of your LAMs I'd expect stall and crash TBH.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 18 September 2017, 13:02:19 »

I considered a twin engine idea before I did the XL Gyro dual set up

Essentially the LAM engine I thought was better with a single complete section taking up all of the centre torso while gyros balanced each other out to maintain stability

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #40 on: 18 September 2017, 13:22:37 »
I considered a twin engine idea before I did the XL Gyro dual set up

Essentially the LAM engine I thought was better with a single complete section taking up all of the centre torso while gyros balanced each other out to maintain stability
Too bad it's not possible to have attachable engine to handle the flight side of things, while you got a normal fusion engine for mech itself.  Aka like Fastpack on a Phoenix Hawk.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #41 on: 31 January 2018, 22:13:08 »
I really like what you've got here. Especially the LAM stuff. You put a lot of thought into giving a nod to them, without overpowering them.

Love the LAM Gyro especially! The engine is a good idea, but I feel like it could use some work.

What about doing something like a LAM booster? (Doesn't have to be called that, it's just off the top of my head) but instead of making huge engines that are essentially reworked XL's, going the route of VTOLs or Aerospace Fighters. Therefore giving LAMs a special movement advantage. But only in Aerospace fighter mode or something?

Example: You design your LAM but act like it has a slightly higher engine rating? Or slightly higher movement profile (however you wish to word it). So say you want to give a 25 ton LAM a 125 engine. It would walk 5 run 6 jump 5 (using standard Jump Jets). But you calculate the Fighter movement as if it were maybe 2 ranks higher? Maybe only one? I don't know. Anyway, you then get two different movement profiles. Mech 5/8/5 Fighter 7/11 or something like that. THEN go with your previous thing with requiring it to use the LAM gyro and finish using up the CT slots with engine.

Something like that even sound reasonable?

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 01 February 2018, 13:42:49 »
Sounds pretty good something I may introduce but with the XL already in play there needs to be a reason for it

How about the engine remains the standard size thus increasing survivability (harder to hit) since smaller.  As you suggested it has to use the LAM Gyro because the Supercharger/boost thing takes up 3 Crits which still leaves a couple of CT slots available for tech.

Because the engine is harder to hit I'd probably limit it to a max two tier higher maybe just one I'll have to have a think

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 11 July 2022, 19:50:39 »
Not at all inspired by the hero in a film grabbing the mini-gun and dropping some lead... Arnie eat your heart out with this one (Yes, I want to feature someone with a RAC or HAG) version at some point

Advanced Gun System
   First built in the Twin Sons system of the Free Worlds League the advanced gun system was a high-tech variant of the Hand-Held Gun already employed by many of their Ultra-Light Mechs.  Designed for larger BattleMechs to allow them to bring an extra weapon to a fight.  These weapons were not designed to be long live affairs but instead an entry level piece of firepower which could be discarded and recovered once the battle was done.

Any weapon mounted on the AGS weighs half as much as a standard weapon system but any AGS can only carry a single weapon, with ammunition, heat sinks or armour.  The AGS is harder to use than standard weapons, so they require additional fire control to help guide the munitions to their target even paying this Fire Control tonnage the weapon has a +1 modifier to hit.  Without the fire control the weapons have a +3 to hit modifier.

Rules
Single Weapon system may be mounted at any time
Ammunition, Heat Sinks and Armour added as standard
Weight then halved once all have been added
For every ten tons of weapon 1 ton of fire control must be paid any weapon built without fire control will gain +3 to hit

Example
Autocannon/10 Advanced Gun System
Autocannon/10          + 12 tons
Ammo AC/10 (10 Rounds)   + 1 ton
Fire Control         + 1.5 tons
Armour (8 Points)      + 0.5 tons
Total AGS Weight/2       = 7.5 tons

Advanced Rules
Only one weapon (1 item, not type) may be included in any AGS
+1 Penalty to hit when using the weapon
BattleMech must have two functioning hand actuators to use the weapon otherwise it cannot be used.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2022, 20:00:49 by Dragon Cat »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #44 on: 11 July 2022, 20:41:02 »
New tech for the New Year

LAM Engine
Techbase: Inner Sphere
Introduced: 3101

The combined resources of LexaTech Industries of Irece in the Draconis Combine and Gilmour MilTech of Talitha took the first steps forward in LAM technology since the fall of the original Star League.  Following the success of their LAM Gyro the two began work on an XL Engine for LAMs.

Unfortunately they found it impossible to split the engine like they had the gyro due to the additional complexity of the fusion engine.  Instead they were forced to look at extending the fusion engine within the centre torso.  Using the Yurei LAM design the engineers built a fusion engine that took up the Mech's entire torso section and found they could make significant amount of weight saving.  Due to the increase weight along the unit’s centre line the landing gear has doubled in size in the side torsos.

Rules
   The Engine weighs as much as a standard Mech's Light Engine
   The Engine takes up 12 critical slots in the centre torso
   A unit using this engine must use the LAM Gyro alongside the engine.
   Landing Gear takes up 2 slots in each side torso

Like that LAM engine, makes them a little better.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Register