Author Topic: C&J Collectibles Pick-Up 9500 BV Engagement 7/20/12  (Read 2576 times)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
C&J Collectibles Pick-Up 9500 BV Engagement 7/20/12
« on: 23 July 2012, 13:07:20 »
My forces:

Instead of the usual Capellan units, I fielded a Kurita c3 lance with a detached Panther "headhunter"

Avatar C Variant (with c3 Master) 3/4
Warhammer 8D (c3) 3/5
2x Jenner JR7-C (c3) 3/5 and 3/4
Panther 12A (not in the network) 2/3

My opponent was a "FWL" lance consisting of:

Flashman
Hunchback (variant with LBX-10, but not the Shakir variant)
Scorpion (I think the SCP-10M)
Awesome (AWS-9Q? - it had 4 PPCs!)

Terrain:

The terrain was mainly flat interspersed with a few hills, forests, a road and a lake area. (It was a customized hex mat with removable terrain)

My opponent began his lance on the end of the map with a few hils adjacent to the lake. I began on the opposite end on which there were a few hills and forest.

In Kurita fashion, I moved my quick C3 carrying Jenners up to meet the enemy first while my Avatar took a position on a forested hill and the Warhammer advanced slowly in the flatland.

The enemy Scorpion creeped up on my right flank and was softened a bit. The enemy hunchback moved up as well toward the middle to provide an ECM bubble to interfere with my C3 units. The Flashman creeped up behind hills as well, but my C3 enhanced Avater softened it up a bid using telemetry from one of the Jenners not inside the Hunchback's ECM bubble.

The enemy Awesome took a sniping position on a forested hill behind the lake sending out PPC blasts from its elevated vantage point.

It was not long before one of my Jenner's took a fatal PPC blast to the face (I had no idea, but the JR7-C does not maximize armor to the head, so 10 points will is enough to headcap it!)

THRUST AND PARRY:

With the Scorpion looking to wreak havoc on my right flank attempting to get to my unit's rear, the Panther and surviving (but now one armed) Jenner went chasing it.

My enemy thrusted with the Flashman, but combined Warhammer and Avatar fire cored it. The Flashman was followed by the Hunchback who engaged my Warhammer in a brief slugfest. Turning its attention away from the Scorpion, the Panther added it's fire to the Avatar's and an Alpha Strike from the Warhammer to core the Hunchback. The Alpha Strike came at a high price as the Warhammer went up to 32 heat and had to shutdown!

The following turn, the Awesome and Scorpion tore up my Warhammer's previously weakened right leg, shattering it and forcing the Warhammer to the ground.

Cooled off, the crippled Warhammer came back to life as a prone PPC sniper berift of most of it's tactical capability.

The Scorpion by now had managed to infiltrate my rear lines and had been tearing at the back of the Avatar. But the Scorpion started repeating the Warhammer's mistake and soon overheated. Before shutting down, it took severe damage to one of its legs shattering the hip and one of the leg actuators. The vulnerable, shutdown Scorpion became the prey and was soon dispatched.

COUNTER-THRUST:

Losing a Jenner, and working with a crippled Warhammer, one armered Panther and Jenner and a damaged Avatar, all that was left of the enemy was an Awesome with scraped paint. I commited everything.

The lone Awesome decided to stand its ground and everything moved up with the Jenner coming in close first. Before its demise, the Jenner contributed some C3 telemetry. The ensuing barage peeled more armor but did no serious damage. The still-prone Warhammer got in a PPC blast each turn, but few made contact.

Underestimating the amount of damage the Avatar had taken, I committed it too close and the lone Awesome cored the left torso section containing an XL engine. But destroying the Avatar distracted the enemy from the approaching Panther. By now however, the Awesome was missing an arm and corresponding torso section!

The 35 ton little panther that could, missing the right arm and its main weapon jumped right up to the Awesome armed only with a Medium Pulse Laser and Streak SRM-4. Well inside the Awesome's minimum PPC range, it was too difficult to hit after jumping. Piloted by a sharp shooter with a gunnery of 2, aided by a targeting computer, the Jenner easily hit with the Medium Pulse Laser. Even without the advantages of Pulse of the Targeting Computer, the Streak missiles hit as well. The ensuing barrage cored the heavily damaged Awesome.

VICTORY:

A one-armed Panther, one-legged Warhammer and two ejected pilots managed to tell the tale of victory!
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: C&J Collectibles Pick-Up 9500 BV Engagement 7/20/12
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2012, 19:56:56 »
Sounds like an epic battle!

Did you allow for the value of C3 when balancing the sides? I'd have guessed that the Kuritans had a significant edge on the League forces, between the numbers & the C3, so it was good (given I'm a Leaguer ;) ) to see then handle themselves so well.

Either way, I bet you both had a lot of fun!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
Re: C&J Collectibles Pick-Up 9500 BV Engagement 7/20/12
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2012, 22:46:35 »
 I certainly did account for BV increase - 5% of the total networked force added to each unit O:-)

I should've taken pictures. Speaking of which, I better get my Iron Painter entries in!  :-\
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC