Author Topic: If Not For BattleTech, I'd Play.... (Voting closes Sunday, 30 June 2013)  (Read 36444 times)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Leviathans, and read some more.

Molossian Dog IIC

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the sword ... die by dysentery.
Everything Battletech gone? Well I guess then I would really have to start to pay that therapist guy.

No. Wait a minute...

Continuing to play in our Pen&Paper RPG group. (Fantasy) It is going on since 14 years or so.

Hearts of Iron III and Europa Universalis III are good ways to battle boredom and steal my spare time too.

Elaborate Board Games like Civilization (not the newer Risk-Clone, the old one with trading cards and stuff!) Macchiavelli (you want 8 hours packed with adrenaline and backstabbing? That fun to you? Hell yes!) or tackling with non-euclidic geometry in Arkham Horror. (Fthagn!)

Maybe I´d finish my WH40K army. (And curse the company for their outrageuous prices and "balancing efforts")

Dwarf Fortress. Downloading the latest Skyrim add-on.

Waiting even more impatiently for Star Citizen.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2013, 06:20:25 by Molossian Dog IIC »

General308

• Captain
Paintball
CAV
WWII Micro Armor

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
Dystopian Wars by Spartan Games in the UK.

mostly Naval games but some land games as well.

It's what we are playing at present as a break from BT
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
No idea. BT was what got me into P&P gaming to begin with

Otherwise? Probably the HERO system
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Dropkick

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
WWII Micro Armor (Mien Panzer)
Federation Commander.  With a quick glance at the Starmada version.
Board Games.

I've been suckered by other SciFi universes in the past with game companies going bankrupt or "updating" their rules in under a year of me purchasing it.  I still have several armies for Warzone and Chronopia.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Assuming I could find a group I would go back to playing L5R in either an rrap or CCG setting.  I enjoyed both, but travel time to play either is what killed it for me.  I could potentially give 40k another go around since I only sold off 3 of my 5 armies.  That experience probably would not last long when people started complaining about how old my minis are. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
DnD/Pathfinder

Beyond the Supernatural

SimCity (or Civ, or some other epic strategy game, like I already kind of do)
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
well....if you could find expansions, I might be playing X-Wing.

Wrayth

• Warrant Officer
To be honest, I'm not much of a wargamer.  If not for Battletech (love the setting, the story, and giant robots that aren't totally ridiculous like most anime mecha are), I probably wouldn't be playing any wargames, just tabletop and video.  I tried real life once, but it sucked so I put it back on the shelf.

For tabletop games, I'd have to say, in no particular order:

Pathfinder (classic fantasy roleplay; used to be D&D, 2nd Ed through 3.5)
Shadowrun (awesome setting, awesome rules)
Rifts (awesome concept and setting, execution is sometimes flawed)

Video games would be hard to classify, mostly because new games keep coming out and some of them even dethrone previous favorites (though that keeps getting less frequent as time progresses).  I think the only game I keep coming back to time and again is EVE Online (9 years).
"If brute force isn't working, you obviously aren't using enough of it."

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
Tabletop games?  Nothing.  Battletech is the only game that I've tried thusfar that is interesting enough to make it okay to put up with those certain individuals on the fringes of the tabletop gaming world.

Any type of game goes?  I'd probably be playing whatever half-baked attempt at re-creating the magic that Jagged Alliance 2 was.  Technically, that's what I'm doing right now, but whatever.  I'm assuming Mechwarrior went to dust too, but that's okay.  I can't get invested in MWO - just not my cup of tea.  WoT is fun.

Frankly, without BT, I'd have to try some other hobby.  Maybe learn to tinker with cars.  Who knows.

[edit]  So I read this earlier in the thread:
-Determine possible cross-licensing deals. If people are into the BT universe in particular, then they're likely to watch a BT movie, buy BT comic books, drink BT-branded scotch, etc.

YES
« Last Edit: 15 May 2013, 03:55:23 by HMS_Swiftsure »

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
Well, to me there is really two issues:

- What do I replace BT the game with?
and
- What do I replace BT the universe with?

The first question is easy to answer: World of Tanks, since that game has already edged out BT in competition for my time. Other games also, of course, but they are more for when I want something different. WoT does compete in the big metal warmachines with a lot of crunchy numbers category.

Now, the second question, regarding the fluff of the universe is harder. I think I would study the Eclipse Phase setting and see if I like it, maybe get into nWoD or Eberron (in case they haven't ruined it in 4th ed). Really, it depends on what really would catch my attention and pull me in.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
GW's Lord of the Rings/Hobbit (already do play it)
Fishing - not a game, but it’s what else I'd be doing

wellspring

• Lieutenant

I think much of it is finding the right group. I've got a very good circle of friends I game with. It took years to accumulate just the right set of people. Even a great tabletop game will suck when it's played with bad or even just mediocre players.

So I read this earlier in the thread:
-Determine possible cross-licensing deals. If people are into the BT universe in particular, then they're likely to watch a BT movie, buy BT comic books, drink BT-branded scotch, etc.
YES

LOL I was wondering when someone would notice that.

You know, some liquor companies do let you buy runs of custom labelled adult beverages. And many retailers sell custom labels you can stick onto an existing bottle.

Considering what I'd imagine is the typical age of a BT player, it's actually not insane if it's done by fans as a one-off and for fun rather than profit.

Konig-Wolf

• Corporal
  • The Lion of Silesia...ready to roar.
Heavy Gear. It's the best science fiction mecha game next to BattleTech.
-Jeff "König-Wolf" James

RGCavScout

• Master Sergeant
  • We are the Brute Squad!
Russian Roulette?  :'(

Firestorm Armada

Panzer Leader/Panzerblitz type games

If Battletech did not exist it would be necessary to invent it - I can't remember who I am stealing this from at this time.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."  Dread Pirate Roberts

SteveRestless

• Major
homebrew some kind of super robot wars game
heavy gear
D&D/Pathfinder
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
B-Tech is my favorite game so I play it so much in different ways. Multiple online games and a our local group so when I think of what I'd replace it with, it's in those fashions.

Vampire the Masquerade - Online Campaigns
Pathfinder - On Line or Local Game
World of Warcraft - Time Waster

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Warhammer 40k

Warmachine/Hordes

Dust off my old Babylon 5 Wars

No other mecha game has ever interested me, and historical based games just seem blah ( I know who wins).
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Lissette Woo

• Private
Family : More time with my daughter

Boardgames :  D&D (Classic and Alternative Space/Future Settings)

PC Games : Civilization (From 2 to 5, plus both Colonizations), Fallout (1,2,Tactics,3 and New Vegas), Defiance or Guild Wars 2 (which goes better over the first year)

A world without BT, that means also a world with a lot more space in our closets (books, minis, paper sheets, inks,...). What the hell to do with that space  ???
Kommandant Lissette "Warhammer" Woo - 180th Attack Wing "Blue Dragons" - LAAF
Captain Vanessa "Ratatöskr" Berg - Creedy Squirrel Salvage Company - Mercenary Command
Star Captain Scarlette - Vehicular Binary Alpha - 13th Wolf Regulars
Sergeant Major Jaqueline "Jacky" Novakowski - Callisto Squad - Blizzard One - Mercenary Command
Sergeant Kelly Bekker - Blackdale Lancers - Mercenary Command
Staff Sergeant Sandrine Harkon - 92nd Arcturan Force Recon Regiment - LAAF

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
My top three would likely be, right now:

Rifts (or other Palladium games)
Deadlands (with a preference for the classic version)
Edit: Spot 3 is likely a tie between Pathfinder, Star Wars, and Shadowrun

Ruger
« Last Edit: 19 May 2013, 17:21:40 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

DarkSpade

• Major

A world without BT, that means also a world with a lot more space in our closets (books, minis, paper sheets, inks,...). What the hell to do with that space  ???

Fill it with other games.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Catan! Can't forget Settlers of Catan. Big in my social circles.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
1) Shadowrun

2) Leviathans

3) ...Er, I don't have a third one, probably be on the streets selling crack.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
I need mechs in my life, but I really can't think of something that has the same crunch I would play.

Probably would run some kind of Homebrew mod on Mekton or Heavy Gear if I could.

Otherwise

1. Star Wars D20 OT+EU
2. D&D (# ED) alternating with Shadowrun for "future" era games
3. Something post-apocalyptic Fallout style (Deadlands maybe?)

AbeSargent

• Recruit
I'd probably just play what I normally play even more - games like Magic,<Heroclix, and Heroscape. 

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Without Battletech, I'd probably be doing a lot more role-playing, but the three games that would try to fill the Battletech void would probably be Heavy Gear, Star Fleet Battles, and some combination of Super Robot Wars or SD Gundam G Generation on whatever console is handy.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
So let's see

1) Dungeons and Dragons, been playing it since '75

2) Dark Heresy and others in that series, just plain cool stuff there

3) All the other games I loved are discontinued, like Aftermath and Twilight 2000

So there ya have it
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Acecrew135

• Sergeant
  • OH MY GOD!!! I've been demoted!
Warhammer 40k

Warmachine

Shadowrun

BTW - Please don't let there be a world without Battletech. PLEASE!!!!!
Well I was thinking of starting over. I didn't mean this.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
Catan! Can't forget Settlers of Catan. Big in my social circles.

In our circles, we replace Catan with Munchkin

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."