Author Topic: If Not For BattleTech, I'd Play.... (Voting closes Sunday, 30 June 2013)  (Read 36264 times)

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
Warhammer 40K
Shadow Run Duels Clicky game (I really wish this one would came back)
Mecha Front
Robotech Miniatures game (either the fan made online rules, or the Palladium game)
Gundam tactics (online rules for a fan made game)
Hordes
Write my own game
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 19:38:02 by megatrons2nd »
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Absolutely nothing. Not that I play much now, but BattleTech is the last game that I still collect and read through the books. I have made exactly two non-BT game purchases in the past three years, and both purely for nostalgia's sake. If BattleTech was gone I'd leave the hobby entirely.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

wellspring

• Lieutenant
  • GURPS (Especially Transhuman Space)
  • Warmaster (The recently-cancelled large scale 10mm fantasy/historical game)
  • Full Metal Anorak (Especially but not exclusively Dirtside)

Honestly, I during the Clix years, there was a BattleTech-shaped hole in the universe, as far as I was concerned. Dirtside was my replacement for BattleTech, and I still love it. The system is brilliantly clean and simple, and you have Stargrunt to "zoom in" for very small scenarios at 15mm. It's good even for playing in the BattleTech universe (its own universe is a little... skeletal, to but it charitably).

For RPG, I'd still pick GURPS over AToW, even for a battletech game. Transhuman Space is a great setting that has a unique feel that I greatly appreciate, and some of the best economics I've seen in an RPG. Eliminate the richness of 25 years of BT world-building, and I'd be playing THS exclusively.

GW cancelled Warmaster last week, but I still have the minis and love them (and there's significant historicals support for them as well from third parties). Haven't played in a long time, but presumably it would fill in some of the void.

The Hawk

• Warrant Officer
  • Have talons, will travel.
If the question is limited just to board games, Levs would probably lead the list, followed by anything from FFG.  Talisman and Descent are probably my favorites, though I enjoy Arkham Horror a great deal as well.

Without a physically-present RPG group, I don't see that being a real possibility, but virtually anything that catches my fancy is a possibility.  Still looking for a good spy RPG.

Video games, well, that's what I do with most of my large blocks of free time as it is.  Too many to name.

The loss of BattleTech would affect me severely in terms of having much less to read, so I would probably plow through some of the other novel series I have floating around here.

MadDogMaddux

• Panther Tamer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • No Mercy.
Interesting.

Battletech is what got me into gaming, and what has connected me to most of my gaming friends.

So if Battletech never existed, I might not be a geek, or at least not much of one.

On the other hand, I did play a bit of Risk with my dad as a kid, and I was introduced to Settlers of Catan in college. So I guess it'd be more in the vein of those sorts of games.

Sheesh. Thank you Battletech from saving me from a very lame geekdom.  :/
Mastergunz: Pryde bloodline, that's where all the winners hang!
MDM: Preferably at the end of 6' of rope!!!

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
I would go back to playing Vampire: The Masquerade & Magein leiu  of AToW.  I would also play naval games 'cos I love black and blue navy stuff. Leviathans is a gimme. The occasional computer game like Masters of Orion. I cant sit still as long as I used to. 

Heck, more time spent riding my motorcycle and hiking were it not for this Mecha hobby.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
In no particular order:
Leviathans,
Warhammer 40K,
Robotech Tactics(when it comes out)

Actually, I would play more of those, since I already play all of those plus BattleTech
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
Chess

Malefiz (-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malefiz)

Modding Rome Total War

Teaching my child good manners (most difficult *game* ever  ;) )
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

amanharan

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Hand of the Dragon
1 D&D
2 M:TG
3 mage wars
AmanHaran
Catalyst Demo Team #423

Try to become a super hero. Barring that, grant someone else the opportunity by becoming a super villain.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
No Battletech and especially no Clan Wolf.......(Gave up on Star Wars figures)....I guess I would be no gamer at all.And be considered "Normal"

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
Absolutely nothing. Not that I play much now, but BattleTech is the last game that I still collect and read through the books. I have made exactly two non-BT game purchases in the past three years, and both purely for nostalgia's sake. If BattleTech was gone I'd leave the hobby entirely.
This, almost verbatim
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Rags

• Recruit
1. Starfleet Battles.
2. One of the editions in Games Workshop's Epic scale games, not sure which.
3. Flames of War.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
Over the years I have tried to start many additional miniature games but none of them every really stuck like battletech did. I figured it was a mixture of the story/universe and the giat robots that keeps me coming back.

If not for battletech (miniature/tabletop game-wise) I would be playing;

CAV
One of the futuristic 15mm massive army games (gruntz, future war, etc...)
Dropzone Commander

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

vidar

• Warrant Officer
1. Star fleet battles mixed with Attack Vector complex 3D and a history to go along with it!
2. Leviathans, well designed historical  >:D or maybe Dust, the others are to simple.
3. What ever the historical group is running this week.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Gamewise? Leviathans, Starfire, maybe Dust. Never really thought about it. Battletech is my game.
lot mor Battlestar Galactica Online.
on the sidewise? Go looking for the next ex-Mrs Stormlion.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Tizona

• Sergeant
  • Caput Castellae
...nothing.

When mood fits, that's once per century, I could read other fiction or play unrelated computer games, but not a lasting thing.

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
Dust, Dust and more Dust.

I've really been getting into that game lately, and building an Allied army

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Legend of the Five Rings (NOT the CCG)
Heavy Gear
Warhammer 40K (RPG mostly)
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
Car Wars, maybe? Home ruled mini game of Twilight 2K? Harpoon...

It's been 20 years since I played something else, for crissake...

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
1. Advanced Civilization (boardgame) by Avalon Hill

2. Flames of War

3. Slaughterloo
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Cerberus

• Master Sergeant
Legend of the Five Rings ... and none other.

BigAl

• Corporal
Command Decision (WWII Minatures Game)

Pike and Shot

Flames of War

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Assuming Battletech went to dust right now, gone before my eyes:
1. Guild Wars 2
2. Firefall
3. Some Indie Game title that catches my eye each month

I don't do many board games, I'd probably just keep trying out everything my group wants.
However my fanaticism would not stick to them. Only these three choices I listed.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
Infinity, board games, and maybe dust

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
What are your first three game choices?

I'm not sure I can answer in just 3 choices, because BT provides for me 4 sources of relaxation.

1.  BT Novels:
2.  BT Board/Miniatures Game:
3.  BT RPG:
4.  BT Video Games:

But I can say what "Games" I have immersed myself in in the past in relation to those 4 catagories

1.  Novels:  Shadow Run +  D&D (Realms/Krynn)
2.  Board/Miniatures Game:  40K
3.  RPG:  Shadow Run +  D&D (Realms/Krynn)
4.  Video Games:  Heroes of Might & Magic & several Blizzard games (Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo).
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hawk

• Retired AF
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire
In a world with no Battletech?

D&D
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Is the height greater than the distance from yourself?
Accidental Falls From Above are merely improvised clubs wielded by gravity.

USAF, Retired

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Hmmm ....

Leviathans, W40K Epic, 1st edition AD&D
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
Heavy Gear
Warmachine
Flames of War

Martius

• Captain
3,5 D&D
Leviathans
Kult

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
There's nothing really around that get's my interest besides Battletech, though I guess if push came to shove I could get back into wargaming - WW2 & Napoleonic Wars tabletop games.

Dave.

Register