Author Topic: Battletech Solo Rules  (Read 1541 times)

AlexMurdosck

• Recruit
  • Alea iacta est, and it was an AC20 to the Head!!!
Battletech Solo Rules
« on: 09 March 2018, 16:21:36 »
Hi I've been working on a Battletech Solo rule set, here's a link to a shared Excel file in Google where you can take a look at them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12qttmn6oAWE-LjQ1-Cazx7PBdTWOA2oKZw3Zo9wtduM/edit?usp=sharing

please check them out and send me your comments, ideas or suggestions

I came up with these rules combining the bits and pieces that I found all over the internet
Alea iacta est, and the result was an AC20 to the Head!!!!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Battletech Solo Rules
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2018, 16:22:24 »
Out of curiosity, have you ever read those BattleTech "Choose your own Adventure" books?

AlexMurdosck

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2018, 16:29:21 »
Hi,

No I have not read those books, why ? There's something like this already?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2018, 16:37:47 »
Yeah, waay back in the day and they're very out of print now.  It's a narrative that flows according to choices presented to the reader at finite points.  Things like a description of a shootout with a mech which then turns and tries to escape.  You're asked "Do you chase the Locust as it flees?  Go to page XX if yes.  Go to page YY if no."  And the process repeats until you reach one of the multiple pre-programmed endings.  Much more finite than what you're doing, but yeah the same kind of idea.

AlexMurdosck

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2018, 16:44:17 »
I'll try to find them online,

What i'm trying to do is to give a very simple AI to the enemy Mechs on the battlefield (and maybe ally NPC Mechs too) but "Choose your own Adventure" sounds good to mix it with I'm doing to give it some king of an RPG feeling

thanks for the tip

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2018, 16:49:46 »
I'll try to find them online,

What i'm trying to do is to give a very simple AI to the enemy Mechs on the battlefield (and maybe ally NPC Mechs too) but "Choose your own Adventure" sounds good to mix it with I'm doing to give it some king of an RPG feeling

thanks for the tip

I wish I could remember what the series was called... I don't think they were actual FASA books but put out by a licensee instead.  There were 4-6 books in the series and each one was titled after one of the mechs from the old 2nd ed box set.  I don't think they ever got around to doing one for each...  I want to say I had the Shadow Hawk and Stinger volumes once upon a time.  About the only incident I can remember from either book was chasing that damn Locust turned out to be a feint and if you chased it you failed the mission as someone else came and blew up whatever you were guarding while you were away :D

If I can find an image or a title I'll share.

EDIT:  EUREKA!  They're called NOVA Gamebooks.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 16:57:57 by Tai Dai Cultist »

AlexMurdosck

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2018, 17:06:59 »
I'll use al my google-fu to find those books, thanks!

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2018, 17:16:23 »
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2018, 17:20:29 »
I'll use al my google-fu to find those books, thanks!

I put a link to it in my response :)  (click on "eureka")

And as Hythos posted, you can click on the BattleTech wiki writeup of the same books too.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2018, 18:17:22 »
You could use the Nova series but you would be limited not only by the mechs available but the fact that you know the action and reaction, so it's not the same as playing solo.  Look up Necromo Nightmare and look at the rules for The Broken.  There are rules for the AI you could use I believe.

AlexMurdosck

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2018, 18:29:34 »
You could use the Nova series but you would be limited not only by the mechs available but the fact that you know the action and reaction, so it's not the same as playing solo.  Look up Necromo Nightmare and look at the rules for The Broken.  There are rules for the AI you could use I believe.

Thanks I've found it at DriveThruRPG.com I'll read it tonight and see what I can adapt from there