Author Topic: Oddly rated engines?  (Read 13360 times)

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
Re: Oddly rated engines?
« Reply #30 on: 04 March 2011, 12:04:12 »
Hm... already started something like this on my own some months ago using OpenCalc...
Thanks for mentioning the round-up rule, btw, might make things easier.
Also included in said ods file are speeds in km/h, engine weight (various engine types) and gyro weight (standard only).

My method of finding out the run MPs is different, though.
Find out walk speed (in km/h), find the increase in km/h per 5 engine ratings for the weight class, multiple result for run speed in km/h, if divisible by 10.8, speed goes up by 1. No rounding up/down in my calculations.

Mostly started it to find out if putting a more common-rated engine into a different 'Mech would make much of a difference (engine/gyro weight, followed by speed). The former is mostly useful for light 'mechs. And, to be honest, I never thought of iJJs before. o.0

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Rhyshaelkan

• Corporal
Re: Oddly rated engines?
« Reply #31 on: 18 April 2011, 03:00:12 »
Personally I like the idea. However the whole thread falls apart if your opponent does not allow for custom 'mechs.

Also, I like the rounding rules as they stand :P That way I get that rounding up factor from odd walking speed.

My favorite chassis is a 60 tonner with 5/8 movement. At (8 / 1.5) * 60 that would leave me with a 320 engine instead of 300. For this 'mech with 5/8/7(as previously stated the holy grail of 7J is what we seem to be after) we have 9.5(assuming XL) + 14 = 23.5 for motive functions.

Now by your calculations trying to achieve 7J we have.
7 / 1.5 = 280.  That is 8 +14 = 22 for a 4/7/7 60 tonner.

Now, before you all go crazy. I know a 55 tonner 4/7/7 would be light-years better for podspace. However my original desire for my 5/8 60 tonner is to have a basic all duty chassis. After trying to squeeze this way and that. I could never quite get two Arrow IV systems onto a 55 ton 5/8 machine. Without sacrificing other things like armor. So I have a stock 60 ton 5/8 omni-chassis with 201 armor and no built in heat sinks. Giving me 31 tons and 29 crits. I like the versatility there.

The economist in me likes commonality in parts. One chassis one engine one armor one inner structure. So that I can keep my men on the line.

I like the rules option, truly. However I can see where it would be abused. Not that I am an angel when it comes to munchy min/maxing.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2011, 03:05:13 by Rhyshaelkan »