Author Topic: Mechs or Tanks with Drone Weapons  (Read 6050 times)

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
Mechs or Tanks with Drone Weapons
« on: 12 March 2011, 03:20:42 »
Could this work?

Think the dragoon system from GUNDAM where weapon pods detatch and move semi-autonomously thus greatly increasing range/angle of attack.

Imagine a heavy mech with some integral weapons and some drone (say 3xMed Pulse laser drones). Yes their is a weight penalty and it might not be as effective as a standard mech, but think of the advantages. Thos M-pulse drones could harrass as you approach or even attack from the rear while you launch a frontal assault...

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Mechs or Tanks with Drone Weapons
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2011, 03:37:08 »
I feel I need to bust this baby out:

Killwasp:

VTOL (small)
Tech Level: E
Mass: 100 kg

Base Chassis: 0.2
Chassis Mods: Ultralight (0.5)
Tech Modifier: 0.85
Chassis Mass: 9 kg

Base Engine: 0.002
Movement: 6/9
Movement factor: 40
Plant Type: Fuel Cell (0.9)
Engine Mass: 8 kg
Fuel: 2 kg (1667 km range)

Armor: None

Gear:
Smart Robotic System
Avanced Fire Control 6 kg
Semi-portable machinegun 20 kg
Semi-portable MG ammo (240) 12 kg
Semi-portable support laser 40 kg
Semi-portable laser power (21) 3 kg

Any hit will kill it and it will only do a couple points of damage at best, but it weighs only about as much as an infantryman, is a vtol, and is fully autonomous.

Something like that?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2011, 14:23:21 »
I feel I need to bust this baby out:

Killwasp:

VTOL (small)
Tech Level: E
Mass: 100 kg

Any hit will kill it and it will only do a couple points of damage at best, but it weighs only about as much as an infantryman, is a vtol, and is fully autonomous.

Something like that?

Nice. And if you can pack them as ammo, that gets you 10 for 1 ton.  Everyone of these you "fire" could mean potentially fewer guns shooting at YOU and even targeting penalties from the other guy as he tries to split fire to kill these things. :D

Hmm... how much damage can these inflict, and how long can they inflict them for?

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2011, 15:45:10 »
I was thinking Micro Lasers or something, but yeah, this is a pretty good idea...

wartang

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2011, 08:13:00 »
Equiping them with a anti missile system would be anoying

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2011, 10:00:36 »
Don't Drones need 0.5 tons of sensor equipment? There's 10% for the system itself, but 500 kg for the necessary sensor/comm gear. (p306, TO)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2011, 14:36:28 »
The killwasp uses the smart robotic control system in ISP 2 (and Jihad: Terra) rather than the standard drone rules. Smart robotic drones don't need any extra equipment. For units under 10 tons, they don't require any extra mass at all.

Of course this also makes them extreme lostech that would only be available to the Blakists (perhaps Comstar as well) or Star League.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2011, 04:20:40 »
Ahh, that explains that then, thanks. I suppose it not susceptible to ECM?

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2011, 01:15:44 »
The killwasp uses the smart robotic control system in ISP 2 (and Jihad: Terra) rather than the standard drone rules. Smart robotic drones don't need any extra equipment. For units under 10 tons, they don't require any extra mass at all.

Of course this also makes them extreme lostech that would only be available to the Blakists (perhaps Comstar as well) or Star League.

That's what I thought they should be...the most cutting edge mech weapon to date!

Well, maybe not the most...but still highly experimental.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2011, 01:42:12 »

It would depend on the specific variant I suppose. The version of the smart robotic system in ISP2 is very susceptible to ECM (some will shut down, some will just keep moving in the same direction, some will go nuts and shoot at anything that moves. The fluff mentions an improved version developed by the League, but doesn't give any details). The variant in Jihad:Terra handles ECM better, but it's geared specifically to aerospace assets. The Word of Blake is supposed to have complete knowledge of the League smart robotic system, but I don't know for certain if they would have an improved system available for ground units in a "canon heavy" setting.

Though it's certainly a possibility.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2011, 18:04:19 »
Liam? Have you made any more variants besides the VTOL Killwasp? I'd love to know if there is more to these...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2011, 11:15:55 »
Well the Hi-Scout drone carrier from TRO: 3026 obviously had drones, but they were scout units, and built with fractional accounting. As well as the drones being unarmed, but hey, remote controlled bombs! :D
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2011, 11:29:35 »
Suicide sleds more like it.

PathTrack carring .5 tons of MG ammo instead of sensors going 8/12...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2011, 21:38:13 »
Liam? Have you made any more variants besides the VTOL Killwasp? I'd love to know if there is more to these...

TT

Not at the moment.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2011, 22:15:51 »
It should be noted that unless a unit has the Smart Cotnrol system, a drone in BT is actually an RPV requiring an operator at a control station rather than autonmous unit.

-Jackmc

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2011, 14:59:05 »

That's the annoying part.  Too bad we can't include a control line that tells the drone to exit the range of an ECM bubble.  Unless the ECM is actually causing feedback errors in the hardware (like a magnet next to a CRT), which seems a more likely explanation.

Register