Author Topic: Split topics  (Read 1541 times)

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
Split topics
« on: 22 September 2013, 00:15:41 »
Could the notifications that "A topic you are watching has been split into two or more topics by XY" also have links to the new topics?
I get a  message for the original watched topic but what was split off and where that landed is unknown to me.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Split topics
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2013, 11:29:01 »
We actually don't split topics simply to move discussions around all that often, so I doubt you'd get much use out of that feature even if we were inclined to do that.  (I can't speak as to whether we are or aren't - that's a question for someone like Paul.)  Here's why:

1. I can't be sure without spending a few hours combing through the logs but I think a significant majority of uses of that feature are the moderators removing material from public view.  Getting a pointer to that material wouldn't help you at all since your account permissions wouldn't let you view it anyway.
2. If the mods merge the new thread into another thread (including the original), the new thread ID would return an error when you tried to access it.
3. Sometimes, when the mods split posts out, we turn around and dissect the new thread, so the individual posts can wind up in several different ultimate destinations.  Getting a pointer to the new thread might not help much and could actually just throw an error because it wound up falling into one of the two cases I described above.

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2013, 12:25:26 »
Well could the mods them self link to the new thread, if that really doesn't happen often it should do much extra workload.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2013, 13:24:48 »
Well could the mods them self link to the new thread, if that really doesn't happen often it should do much extra workload.

It's always easy to be generous with other people's time. ;)

We'll put it in front of the admins, see if they want to add it. There certainly isn't a way to automate it within the base SMF mod we use.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2013, 13:36:21 »
OK, thanks.