Author Topic: Is there a point you stop using experimental tech?  (Read 1387 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Is there a point you stop using experimental tech?
« on: 12 March 2021, 02:43:28 »
For me most experimental tech becomes advanced by about 3085 then there is a huge leap of time to 3130s before more tech emerges  .

When did you Stop fielding experimental tech ?

DevianID

• Captain
Re: Is there a point you stop using experimental tech?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2021, 03:53:30 »
For experimental tech, I use it on any 'hero' type unit, and use only standard tech on generic defending forces.  As the timeline advances beyond the Jihad, you are more and more likely to find battles only occurring on Heroic units, until the end of the dark age when armies start going at it again.

Kind of like the Solaris principle.  If it is a unit or pilot that could compete on Solaris due to their skill, they probably have access to experimental tech.  The change from 'experimental' to 'advanced' you mentioned probably has a lot to due with armies not smashing into each other during this time, thus the 'ratio' of experimental tech used in battles is higher--hence it is now advanced tech but I treat it like 'experimental' to distinguish it from something like artillery.

I guess I use experimental tech in place of tech availability A-E levels?

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2021, 04:28:22 »
When CASE II is become Standard level, seriously. I think that I will never understand why a pre-spaceflight era technology is introduced on 2476/3064. Also artillery cannon, an another pre-spaceflight era technology that is introduced on 3012.

And I want to use Partial Wings, Angel ECM, Armored Components, Tandem-Charge missile, Supercharger, and Hardened Armor, but they are tied in Experimental tech. If mixed tech is allowed then also Talons and Nova CEWS.

Extinct equipments such as Centurion Weapon System and Chameleon LPS&NSS are also good to have.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2021, 01:33:12 »
I admit I like to use Extinct Clan lighter  AC 10s. Not a Niche weapon if it is rediscovered in the Republic or Dark age with the Inner Sphere playing with Clan metallurgy.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2021, 22:05:07 »
Never, really. I use all kinds of tech, including items that are no longer legal.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2021, 10:23:15 »
That tendency was early.  But, as I moved to the DA, my games have taken to using it a lot more often than not.

Angel ECM.  Bloodhound Probe.  Streak LRMs.  ER LRMs.  I have a campaign where I took the notion of each world having a hidden depot of collected Mechs from the disarmament program, decided that Clan Tech should be base, and go up from there for the Front Line units in the Republic, and then staged a rebellion after the blackout.

People with the know, brought the advanced stores and started outfitting old Mechs with advanced tech before the operation was discovered. 

Dag nabbit, it's fun seeing this stuff operate.  And, now I'm wanting to take things further with mere extrapolations of existing tech, but trimmed down in size and weight.

As well, I've been thinking about intermediate tech that gives some improvements to old IS weapons for use on vehicles that are still 2nd line.  IS ERPPC with Clan damage output, and one step in between that does head-capping damage (12), for example.  Clan LRMs with no min as expensive ammunition type, versus an intermediate up-scale munitions with a slimmer minimum of 4.  IS ER Large Lasers with clan range.  You get the idea. 

edit:
Oh, and the notion of De-milled BattleMechs being used as industrials.  Imagine Phoenix Hawks running around as Firefighter Mechs, Police Mechs, or even as loaders.  Then, they get  re-armed, as-is, with hand-held weapons in a pinch.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2021, 15:28:56 »
There is a presumption that I've started using Experimental Tech (ExpiTech).  I may have designed some designs with ExpiTech, but I've never actually used anything more advanced than Clan Invasion Tech.  Heck, I've not even made use of C3, Rotary ACs, HAGs, Heavy Lasers, or ATMs.  Once I use them, I'll consider pushing in to the ExpiTech.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Register