Author Topic: The Residences at New Kyoto  (Read 538 times)

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
The Residences at New Kyoto
« on: 05 February 2024, 11:10:54 »
These are the first of some urban templates I'm making. I will be debuting them at our FLGS tonight, and they will also be appearing at ScrumCon coming up in March.

I used chipboard for the bases and walls. Buildings are all 3D printed.

Finalizing the layout

Adding the walls

Finished product

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
Re: The Residences at New Kyoto
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2024, 19:08:31 »
Those look great!   :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2024, 21:10:46 »
Simply GORGEOUS! :)

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2024, 08:21:09 »
That's fantastic! Will you share later a photo with a 'Mech in for scale? :)
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

gunner

• Sergeant
  • Todays a good day to die, YOU FIRST
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2024, 08:46:53 »
I take it, a battle will take place in around those building.  Do you have destroyed building based on them??????
Long life through fire superiority
IN range  and ON target  M 60 MG

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2024, 08:32:41 »
Here's a pic from last week's game to show the scale.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2024, 17:31:56 »
Nice... too bad the roads are just a little too narrow for the hex bases... it looks like the 'mechs would fit just fine.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2024, 05:24:00 »
The houses and building are great, nice models and paint work.

I can't get over the impression that they are tad too small. Especially when looking at the photo with Exterminator next to a couple of houses. Average height of a single story where I live is about 2.5 meters, and I am basing my calculation on that.

So the nearest two-story house should be around 7.5-7.9 meters tall (larger digit include 0.2m for second story floor and ceiling height). And based on that, Exterminator seems to be tall 14m-15m. The impression I get is that the house comes to about a bit taller then half the height of the Exterminator. In my mind the it should be about as tall somewhere between middle of the torso and armpits.

But this is all based on the photo, maybe the scale is more close in real life, due to photo angles and perspective.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2024, 14:19:40 »
I've seen those sets a few times and considered it myself.
I'm only interested in the larger buildings though and most who
sell them don't want to sell the big ones separately.

Once we move I REALLY want a 3D printer.

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2024, 19:51:07 »
The houses and building are great, nice models and paint work.

I can't get over the impression that they are tad too small. Especially when looking at the photo with Exterminator next to a couple of houses. Average height of a single story where I live is about 2.5 meters, and I am basing my calculation on that.

So the nearest two-story house should be around 7.5-7.9 meters tall (larger digit include 0.2m for second story floor and ceiling height). And based on that, Exterminator seems to be tall 14m-15m. The impression I get is that the house comes to about a bit taller then half the height of the Exterminator. In my mind the it should be about as tall somewhere between middle of the torso and armpits.

But this is all based on the photo, maybe the scale is more close in real life, due to photo angles and perspective.

Also keep in mind the Mechs are on hex bases, so they are always going to look slightly elevated. That being said, I think it's okay if the houses are a little small. I don't think I would give a 'Mech partial cover for standing next to one, necessarily, although if you're playing AS strictly WYSIWYG, maybe it would depend on the size of the 'Mech. I find it much more interesting to do LOS that way rather than to worry about what level everything is. For the game in the pics, any unit that was on the actual template with the houses was assumed to be taking advantage of cover.