Author Topic: Can a Mobile Structure be used as a Hull Defense weapon?  (Read 834 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Can a Mobile Structure be used as a Hull Defense weapon?
« on: 02 November 2023, 10:10:12 »
Just as it stayed, can't remember if there are restrictions.

Can anyone answer this?

A MS as a WS support weapon.

Thanks,
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Can a Mobile Structure be used as a Hull Defense weapon?
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2023, 12:30:41 »
I don't think it can because I don't think there is a way to deploy it. A Rattler is not something you are going to be fitting in a standard bay door. A Superheavy could conceivable be however.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2023, 13:06:17 »
Really there's no good way to keep a unit attached to the hull of a ship if the ship uses thrust.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2023, 18:14:43 »
Not saying use thrust...

Ideally, as a stationary station...

If a DropShuttle can enter...

Why not a Rattler or similar MS?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2023, 18:35:15 »
But...why not just mount weapons on the space station? You can get a lot more guns built into the station than can be carried on the mobile structure.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2023, 22:40:52 »
But...why not just mount weapons on the space station? You can get a lot more guns built into the station than can be carried on the mobile structure.

Mobile Structures as giant Omni-pods?  If expecting Dropships, you can rapid-transfer a Rattler & friends to the combat space station.  If expecting a swarm of ASF and you don't have an ASF swarm of your own, another Mobile Structure designed for shooting down ASF.  If the opponent likes to use missiles, you tag out for a MS designed for anti-missile setup.

You would also be able to bypass Fire Control limits this way as the Mobile Structure's weapons would not be part of the Space Station's weapons array.

Of course, you'd need a nearby completely innocent cargo space station to store the various Mobile Structures, which means you need to get the relative tonnages of a Mobile Structure to determine how many can fit into the cargo space station's bays.

This also runs into fun numbers of how many tons of weapons you get per 1000 tons of Mobile Structure, vs tons of weapons per 1000 tons of Space Station.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2023, 07:34:09 »
I think this falls into the "whatever works at your table" category.  I'd allow it for cleverness! 
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2023, 08:31:46 »
Mobile Structures as giant Omni-pods?  If expecting Dropships, you can rapid-transfer a Rattler & friends to the combat space station.  If expecting a swarm of ASF and you don't have an ASF swarm of your own, another Mobile Structure designed for shooting down ASF.  If the opponent likes to use missiles, you tag out for a MS designed for anti-missile setup.

You would also be able to bypass Fire Control limits this way as the Mobile Structure's weapons would not be part of the Space Station's weapons array.

Of course, you'd need a nearby completely innocent cargo space station to store the various Mobile Structures, which means you need to get the relative tonnages of a Mobile Structure to determine how many can fit into the cargo space station's bays.

This also runs into fun numbers of how many tons of weapons you get per 1000 tons of Mobile Structure, vs tons of weapons per 1000 tons of Space Station.

That would be a good reason to think about this. You won't expect those to kill a giant warship, but it would be the detachable anti-air turret.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2023, 18:24:49 »
Exactly...

A Mobile turret built for space or underwater.

As it is, would you look at it if it was built longways or wideways? Or both?

After all it can go from 2 x 1 either way, and upwards of several hex wide/deep.

Not to mention the Levels, 2 for the tracks and 1+ for the body...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2023, 18:43:32 »

The fire control requirements for just installing all required weapons at once would be lighter than the mobile structures' dead weight.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2023, 20:28:35 »
Also correct, but the idea of building extra defenses to help out is what's the question.

The rear answer is, could this be useable?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 03 November 2023, 20:31:44 »
Also correct, but the idea of building extra defenses to help out is what's the question.

The rear answer is, could this be useable?

TT

One key issue would be dealing with impact damage from ballistic weapons.  A high-energy laser or PPC will try to melt through, but a shot from a Gauss weapon is pure momentum.  You will need to make sure that the Mobile structure is properly attached to the Space Station's structure so an impact on the Mobile Structure doesn't crack through weak points, which means the Space Station's structure would still be needed to resist the damage.

But this is starting to get into fan rules

Register