Author Topic: Interstellar Ops: AE: Land-Air-Mechs in AirMech Mode with changing Terrain.  (Read 445 times)

Charistoph

• Major
In an exchange regarding LAMs in AirMech Mode a question came up in regards to MP cost and how AirMechs would handle changing terrain below them.

The pertinent rules in question is on the old Interstellar Operations, page 108, and I think pg 102 or 103 of Interstellar Operations: Alternate Eras (going by the errata of the same).

"AirMech Cruise/Flank: The AirMech Cruise and AirMech Flank movement modes are considered a modified form of WiGE-style movement....
The following modifications also apply to the LAM AirMech's normal WiGE Movement.
* Gaining Elevation: Whereas a WiGE vehicle may only gain elevation by "climbing" terrain, a LAM using AirMech movement may increase its elevation by spending 1 additional MP per elevation change as a VTOL, and may continue to do so up to a maximum elevation of 25 above the underlying terrain.  As with nomral WiGE movement, any AirMech moving at more than 1 elevation above its underlying terrain must spend 2 AirMech MPs per hex of movement to do so..."

As a side note from Total Warfare, pg 55, regarding WiGEs and Elvation changes:

"WiGE vehicle entering a hex whose level is one higher than its current hex automatically maintains its one elevation of clearance above the terrain, and expends no additional MP to do so. A WiGE vehicle cannot enter a hex whose level is two or more higher than its current hex."

The question is in regards to if the LAM in AirMech mode raises its elevation by +1 to fly over Woods and not crash, but as it continues over the Woods the LAM is flying over increases its Level by 1, so the LAM must also increase its elevation to avoid crashing (or landing). 

Using the attached image, the LAM is progressing at Elevation 2 (+1 above Level 0 terrain).  As it proceeds to Point A, it would need to pay +1 to go above the Level 0 Woods, then 2MP to not crash, for a total of 3 MP.  All well and good.

The issue comes in to play when proceeding to Point B and Point C.

As the LAM moves to a higher elevation with the rising Levels of Woods, is it:

A) Required to pay an additional MP to maintain its +2 Elevation over the land its flying, i.e. another 3 MP to move to Point B, and another 3 MP to move to Point C.

OR

B) Only required to pay the 2MP to move in to a Point B and Point C so long as it maintains its +2 Elevation above the terrain level below it (so Elevation 3 at Point A, Elevation 4 at Point B, and Elevation 5 and Point C), and not seek to move any higher above the Woods than it was at Point A.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2024, 19:49:52 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Land-Air-Mechs in AirMech Mode with changing Terrain.
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2024, 21:32:37 »
The Level of the month has come, and so this LAM question gets bumped up a level.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Land-Air-Mechs in AirMech Mode with changing Terrain.
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2024, 00:34:00 »
New Level has come, Bumping to keep with the Level.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2024, 14:42:25 by Charistoph »

Charistoph

• Major
New month, new level.  Bumping to keep up with the new level.

Register