Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition  (Read 203161 times)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition
« Reply #180 on: 22 July 2018, 01:17:12 »
Well then, here's a stupid thought: how about IWM gets into the plastic business? No, I'm not expecting them to invest in million-dollar injection machines. But they could have them manufactured in China and brand them as IWM, or come up with another brand name. Then the customers get the pieces they want and nobody has to go rejiggering contracts.

I think that might be a bridge to far for IWM, dealing with manufacturers in China takes a specific skill set to make sure that you get exactly what you want at the price you want. I love dealing with Melissa and Mike but I do not believe they have the skill set to try to organise plastic miniature manufacturing in China. My uncle owns a plastic toy manufacturing business in Hong Kong with a factory in southern China, and I do not feel confident that I have the contact and the skills to be able to successfully negotiate a deal like that.

The issues that CGL ran into with Leviathans is just the tip of the iceberg when you deal with manufacturing in China unless you have the capital to build and co-own (you would need to have a local partner to help you navigate the formal and "informal" regulatory regime) the factory there yourself. Plus current Rule 4 issues would probably see the process of setting up manufacturing in China to import product into the US as being a significant risk to your business model.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2018, 01:19:21 by Feenix74 »
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #181 on: 22 July 2018, 09:05:01 »
I agree, and I'm the one who suggested it. There are intermediary companies whose entire job is to take the specifications of non-Chinese companies and finding a factory to handle their needs. But, as has been mentioned, distribution is another matter, and something IWM and CGL have both had issues with.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #182 on: 22 July 2018, 10:13:30 »
I agree, and I'm the one who suggested it. There are intermediary companies whose entire job is to take the specifications of non-Chinese companies and finding a factory to handle their needs. But, as has been mentioned, distribution is another matter, and something IWM and CGL have both had issues with.

Then there's the whole, "copyright doesn't mean the same thing in China", issue.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #183 on: 22 July 2018, 11:06:36 »
Then there's the whole, "copyright doesn't mean the same thing in China", issue.

It's a Case of:

"Copy, right?"
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #184 on: 22 July 2018, 11:25:57 »
Spoilsport here. I think it best to leave that line of inquiry at risks Catalyst faces in product speculation. Anything further toward trade disputes is political.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #185 on: 22 July 2018, 12:31:28 »
I really hope that the publication of Shattered Sphere there will be a rising number of new publications released.

So far the meagre output does not help the Battletech trademark.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #186 on: 22 July 2018, 15:27:13 »
I really hope that the publication of Shattered Sphere there will be a rising number of new publications released.
So far the meagre output does not help the Battletech trademark.
Well it did decades ago. 😉 Shattered Fortress will be fun if books get out in time before problems happens.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #187 on: 22 July 2018, 20:30:49 »
Re: More products.

While I am among the batch of people looking forward to the timeline moving, well, forward, I do think some kind of summary of what the new 'forward' will be for new players is a must.  If the new boxed set(s) with Intro tech turn into the 3250 retro tech, I'm not sure how the new players will like that.  "Hey, you enjoyed those mechs and rules?  Well,  now you can see that in the game world, they're like kid bikes of Mechs, here, try our new ER Ultra Rotary Streak Gauss Rifle!"

The faction specific cards I think will help people get into the game world without the biases of the 80's looming over us (Davions good, Kurita bad, Marik incompetent, etc.)  Maybe a 'guide to factions' for each era would help?

Re: Art.  Yeah it's in the eye of the beholder.  The 3050 art is where I fell in love with the Firefly, still take it against the bot in MegaMek, even with the quirks making it a death trap.  Someone mentioned Pathfinder elsewhere.  MAybe take their approach with the iconics?  Have one artist draw the 'iconic' mech, and then in other products the artists have a basis to *ahem* draw from?  So when Plog, or someone else, has to fill the art order of "Shadowhawk kicking Valkyrie and Valk firing Med Laser in the cockpit" He has the same line models to use as another artist does.  So it's still one where you go "Yeah that's a Plog piece." but it has a Shimmering Sword basis.

I mentioned the Firefly above.  I loved the Wolverine II in Operation Klondike, but was 'meh' about the firefly there.  To each their own.

Re miniatures.  Again, like the majority of the posters it seems, I can't wait for the Wasp, Valk, Wolverine, etc etc from IWM.  I'm patient.  I mean I turn 47 this year, I should see them by the time I can join AARP. :-)  I do agree with scale issues, but sculpt happens.  My sinister Wolverine looks bigger and bulkier next to the lance pack Zeus, but looks just in scale with the Wolverine II.

Just my two D-bills
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #188 on: 22 July 2018, 21:51:05 »
Are there going to be any more Inner Sphere at War maps?
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #189 on: 23 July 2018, 13:23:15 »
I generally enjoy Plog's art, and look for the little sayings he likes to throw in. "Left turn Clyde" on the Simian battle armor suit made me, quite literally, laugh out loud. I don't love everything he has done, but he is a solid artist and I think his aesthetic ususally produces recognizable mechs that aren't too terrible to turn into miniatures...but his Warships: Somebody fetch me a fan, 'cause I think I'm going to faint! The new art he did for that fan-made TRO made me weak in the knees. I still start to drool when I look at his Cameron re-design. Those warships were in desperate need of an update and oh lordy did Plog deliver.

Anyway, I'm firmly in the 'new art for old mechs, and I'll take plastic if you can make it work' camp. Don't get me wrong, I love IWM, and their process is the only viable way to keep as many units as we have available, and with good quality. However, I much prefer working with Plastic minis. Thus, I'm quite looking forward to the new boxed sets at GenCon.

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #190 on: 23 July 2018, 13:46:47 »

Anyway, I'm firmly in the 'new art for old mechs, and I'll take plastic if you can make it work' camp.

Same here. Now, whither the discussion of upcoming products? I'm all for another preview...  ::)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #191 on: 26 July 2018, 08:03:27 »
Just in time for Gen Con! Two all-new BattleTech novellas are now available for pre-order in e-book format: "The Anvil" by Blaine Lee Pardoe and "A Splinter of Hope" by Philip A. Lee.

These two novellas are the first BattleTech fiction in more than a decade to push beyond the Dark Age era, and tie into the upcoming sourcebook Shattered Fortress. They will be released in e-publication formats on Wednesday, Aug. 1.

An omnibus print edition of the two novellas will be available at Gen Con 2018, with a print-on-demand edition on sale to the public on or around Monday, Oct. 1.

Click here to pre-order "A Splinter of Hope" by Philip A. Lee, and click here to pre-order "The Anvil" by Blaine Lee Pardoe!

Here are descriptions of each novella and the collected edition:

A Splinter of Hope by Philip A. Lee

The Federated Suns stand at the edge of a precipice...

Violent expansion of the Capellan Confederation and the Draconis Combine has cost recently crowned First Prince Julian Davion more than just countless strategic worlds. The war’s toll claimed a mentor and close friend, and righteous vengeance burns bright.

To rally his people and preserve the future of the Federated Suns, Julian funnels the fires of justice into an ambitious yet risky campaign to retake a vital system: New Syrtis, the lost capital of the Capellan March. Success would dislodge an ancient enemy from their strategic foothold in Suns space, but failure may cost Julian the nation he inherited.

However, the Capellan people have fought dearly for their prize and will do anything in their power to hold onto it. Will Julian’s gamble save the very soul of the Federated Suns, or is the invasion of New Syrtis doomed before it even begins?

The Anvil by Blaine Lee Pardoe

I am a true Jade Falcon...

The leader of Clan Jade Falcon, Khan Malvina Hazen, is known throughout human-occupied space as a merciless tyrant hell bent on shattering and reforging the entire Inner Sphere in her own bloodthirsty image. The next target for her scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners Mongol Doctrine is the Lyran Commonwealth world of Coventry: a persistent stain on the Jade Falcons’ history, and a system defended by legendary Lyran heroes.

But not all Falcons subscribe to Malvina’s twisted cult of personality. Ordered to take Coventry at any cost, Galaxy Commander Stephanie Chistu has no choice but to follow her orders and conquer the planet in Malvina’s name. Stephanie wishes to see her Clan victorious, but no victory is worth the Jade Falcons losing their very soul. To stand up to Malvina’s tyranny and find an honorable path for her Clan’s future, Stephanie must balance the razor’s edge between duty and honor—or she will die trying.

Omnibus Print Edition

VICTORY AT ANY COST...

Jump into your BattleMech cockpit, fire up your fusion engine, and charge into the fray with two all-new BattleTech novellas from Philip A. Lee and BattleTech veteran Blaine Lee Pardoe.

A Splinter of Hope: Violent expansion of the Capellan Confederation and the Draconis Combine has cost recently crowned First Prince Julian Davion both his mentor and countless Federated Suns worlds. To rally his people, he funnels the fires of justice into an ambitious yet risky campaign to retake a vital system: New Syrtis, the occupied capital of the Capellan March. However, the Capellan people have fought dearly for their prize and will do anything in their power to hold onto it. Will Julian’s gamble preserve the future of the Federated Suns, or is the invasion doomed before it even begins?

The Anvil: Khan Malvina Hazen of Clan Jade Falcon is known throughout the Inner Sphere as a merciless, bloodthirsty tyrant. The next target for her scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners tactics is the Lyran Commonwealth world of Coventry: a persistent stain on the Jade Falcons’ history. But not all Falcons follow Malvina’s lead. Ordered to take Coventry at any cost, Galaxy Commander Stephanie Chistu wishes to see her Clan victorious, but no victory is worth the Jade Falcons losing their very soul. To stand up to tyranny and find an honorable path forward for her Clan, she must balance the razor’s edge between duty and honor—or die trying.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #192 on: 26 July 2018, 08:09:12 »
Excellent  :thumbsup:

I assume these novella will be released on the CGL store on or after 01 Aug as well?
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #193 on: 26 July 2018, 08:09:27 »
Yay!  New fiction!  I'm surprised how much I've been looking forward to this.

Is A Splinter of Hope based on the fiction that was cut from Campaign Operations?

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #194 on: 26 July 2018, 08:13:02 »
Is A Splinter of Hope based on the fiction that was cut from Campaign Operations?

Yes, expanded and revised. Same author.

I assume these novella will be released on the CGL store on or after 01 Aug as well?

Most likely. Bear in mind that that's right in the heart of Gen Con, so there may be a slight delay.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #195 on: 26 July 2018, 08:37:30 »
Do we have a price on the Omnibus for those of us that are unable to attend, but have a friend going?

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #196 on: 26 July 2018, 08:43:03 »
Oops - it's $7.99. Updating now!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #197 on: 26 July 2018, 09:18:59 »
Excellent . . . and I really appreciate it being released in e-pub the same time it becomes (or close enough) available at GenCon.  With PoD in line now does this mean the book from last year will be coming to e-pub soon?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition
« Reply #198 on: 26 July 2018, 11:12:45 »
Where do poor souls who can't attend need to order print on demand releases?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #199 on: 26 July 2018, 11:23:02 »
Might be me being useless with technology... Or is Splinter available on Google Play and the Anvil is not? (already ordered one and can't see the link for the other... And it is damn inconvenient if I am forced to sign upto something new)

EDIT: Sod it, cancelled my pre-order and gotten both on Amazon.

Great news on the new releases CGL but REALLY well done on streamlining the sales process as usual.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2018, 11:30:01 by Dmon »

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #200 on: 26 July 2018, 12:07:15 »
Excellent . . . and I really appreciate it being released in e-pub the same time it becomes (or close enough) available at GenCon.  With PoD in line now does this mean the book from last year will be coming to e-pub soon?

I hope so--I have a story in it!--but I'll need to ask again. I check every so often, but haven't heard anything lately. I know it was on the radar.

Where do poor souls who can't attend need to order print on demand releases?

I'll post a link when it's live, but it's not available yet. Print-on-demand availability is expected on or around Oct. 1.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #201 on: 26 July 2018, 14:38:00 »
YAY! Stuff is happening!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #202 on: 26 July 2018, 15:24:43 »
Its been a year since some new product, and here we go. Exciting times!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #203 on: 26 July 2018, 15:31:37 »
Its been a year since some new product, and here we go. Exciting times!!

Well... novels. But yes. I'm excited.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #204 on: 26 July 2018, 15:33:10 »
Great news on the fiction.  Glad to see movement. 

As an aside, when will the Catalyst store be updated with the new PDFs for Total Warfare and the others?
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #205 on: 26 July 2018, 15:36:42 »
Oh this is cool new fiction loving it haven't read a word but that will soon change
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #206 on: 26 July 2018, 15:47:44 »
Any idea if these will be available through DriveTruRPG? I'll end up getting these books regardless, but I like working with DTRPG if it is an option for BT e-books.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #207 on: 26 July 2018, 15:50:46 »
Not official word here, but I seem to remember they carried the legends titles when they came out.  I am not sure in what formats since I just bought them for my Kindle.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #208 on: 26 July 2018, 16:43:18 »
Great news on the fiction.  Glad to see movement. 

As an aside, when will the Catalyst store be updated with the new PDFs for Total Warfare and the others?

I emailed about getting the updated versions with my order numbers last week but heard no word. Guessing not much of will be moving until after gencon

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #209 on: 26 July 2018, 16:57:47 »
I have no idea how I'll convince CGL that I bought them back in the day. I'm pretty sure I ordered the PDF of Total Warfare while I was in the Army, and I think the order number originally had just two digits. :D Well, no big deal if I have to buy it again. I'll wait and see what happens after GenCon.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Register