Author Topic: Removal / Repair of Dials and Heat tracker?  (Read 4561 times)

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
  • "ZEUS - Premier Lyran Recon since 2787."
Removal / Repair of Dials and Heat tracker?
« on: 16 October 2022, 13:53:34 »
Are there any tips out there for the repair of bases? For example; I have several that have exceedingly tight dials, and at least one where the heat sticker has slipped free of the drum, if that makes sense. Basically, when you turn the heat tracker, the drum turns but because the sticker isn’t attached anymore, it stays in the same position.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Removal / Repair of Dials and Heat tracker?
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2022, 19:48:06 »
The top (mech) base is just friction fit to the bottom (dial) base; you can just pop it off with a screwdriver, and shave/sand down some of the plastic until it moves smoother.

For the heat dial, the little box it sits in is superglued to the base. You can usually pop it off by wedging a small screwdriver into the seam where it meets the base. If you throw it in the freezer overnight to weaken the glue it might be easier, but you should be able to pop the box off without breaking any of the posts. Once the box is off, the heat dial comes right out and you can re-glue the sticker down.

Hammerhead

• Master Sergeant
  • "ZEUS - Premier Lyran Recon since 2787."
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2022, 05:26:28 »
The top (mech) base is just friction fit to the bottom (dial) base; you can just pop it off with a screwdriver, and shave/sand down some of the plastic until it moves smoother.

For the heat dial, the little box it sits in is superglued to the base. You can usually pop it off by wedging a small screwdriver into the seam where it meets the base. If you throw it in the freezer overnight to weaken the glue it might be easier, but you should be able to pop the box off without breaking any of the posts. Once the box is off, the heat dial comes right out and you can re-glue the sticker down.

Perfect. Thanks!

Capt4in

• Corporal
  • Clix Veteran, CBT Newbie
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2022, 09:33:39 »
Jumping on this thread, I have a few dials that seem to have been really worn down/discoloured due to age, dust, glue issues, etc. Anyone have tips on where/how to print replacement dial stickers? I especially want to replace the dial stickers on my Aurora dropship, as they are so bad the numbers are illegible on some of them.
Kisho lives

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2022, 13:22:28 »

deogg

• Recruit
  • #TheTapperOfTomorrow
    • My YouTube channel: Tapper Dan
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2023, 20:39:08 »

As far as the bottom dial, exactly what you said. I've had to do that with a lot of mechs lately, and it works like a charm. It might take some trial and error, but with enough work, you should be off to the races.

Now, with the heat dial, there is a small tab that you can see when you pop off the bottom dial. If you take a small screwdriver and work that to where it breaks off, that usually (not always, but I'd say 90% of the time) gets the heat dial moving nice and smooth.
"You ain't seen the best of me yet. Give me time, I'll make you forget the rest."

deogg

• Recruit
  • #TheTapperOfTomorrow
    • My YouTube channel: Tapper Dan
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2023, 20:42:55 »
Jumping on this thread, I have a few dials that seem to have been really worn down/discoloured due to age, dust, glue issues, etc. Anyone have tips on where/how to print replacement dial stickers? I especially want to replace the dial stickers on my Aurora dropship, as they are so bad the numbers are illegible on some of them.

I JUST got a brand spanking new Dropship, still sealed, a couple of weeks ago. My dials were AWFUL to read straight out of the box! I have to use a flashlight to even read them!

I should count my blessings, though........the only broken parts of the dropship where the fins on the back (which I just super glued back on). The bay doors were PERFECT!
"You ain't seen the best of me yet. Give me time, I'll make you forget the rest."