Author Topic: Brimstone LRMs  (Read 215 times)

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
Brimstone LRMs
« on: 22 March 2024, 07:27:12 »
Draft for a new munition in my AU.

Fluff:

Brimstone LRMs feature a thick cake of solid propellant instead of liquid fuel. This makes them substantially heavier for their size meaning only half as many salvos per ton. In addition, they are also quite dirty, emitting thick clouds of smoke which is also considered a passive defense. They occasionally sludge up missile tubes and the extractors have to be used to clear them. The arming system is also completely different, making the Brimstone more lethal at closer ranges and purely a direct fire munition.

Affiliation:
Taurian Concordat
Cost Multipler: x3
Ammo Multiplier: x0.5
Used By: LRM Launchers

Game Rules:

Direct fire may only be used.

Jams on a 2. Unjamming is declared during the End Phase of a turn. On the next turn, the unit unjamming may only use Cruise/Walking MP, and cannot make weapon attacks, including spotting. At the end of the Weapon Attack Phase, the controller makes a Gunnery Skill Roll.

Minimum Range becomes 3.

The hex of the firing unit is filled with light smoke if at least 20 LRM tubes are used. This becomes heavy smoke if at least 40 LRM tubes are used. This smoke fills 2 elevations until the End Phase of the turn.
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: Brimstone LRMs
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2024, 13:01:37 »
Why the 3x cost multiplier? This seems to be balanced enough to warrant 1x and it feels like a stop-gap measure due to technological decline.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2024, 13:22:33 »
Why the 3x cost multiplier? This seems to be balanced enough to warrant 1x and it feels like a stop-gap measure due to technological decline.

Ony because they are just being introduced in our campaign. So it reflects demand.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2024, 13:44:56 »
Ony because they are just being introduced in our campaign. So it reflects demand.

Gotcha.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2024, 13:59:02 »
With a name like Brimstone, i was thinking these would be incendiary munitions for LRMs..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2024, 23:43:33 »
I like the missiles and love the avatar pic.  :smiley:

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2024, 09:25:31 »
I like the missiles and love the avatar pic.  :smiley:

Thanks!

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2024, 21:18:02 »
Thanks!

:)
Did you make the pic or find it?

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2024, 23:53:44 »
Its a really powerful effect.  The reduced minimum range roughly corresponds to hot loading, but without any accuracy or cluster size reduction.  Heavy smoke on an Archer is likewise really strong.  The reduced ammo effect is a nod towards balance, but if you allow the players to customize their mechs the ammo reduction isnt really gonna help--they will always include this ammo as a no-brainer for when the enemy gets close, so 1-2 tons for a +3 to hit bonus thanks to minimum reduction.

From a player POV, they provide too much action economy.  To get heavy smoke, which I would want for sure cause smoke is super over powered, I would normally need to devote 6 shots (1 full ton) and a firing action from the LRM20, AND I would need a friendly unit to handshake smoke with me so we both benefit.  This ammo lets the firing unit not rely on team work, and not have to move to get the smoke benefit.  Granted, the normal smoke only needs to be refreshed once in 3 turns, while this one needs to be refreshed every turn, but that means 1 extra LRM20 shot into the enemy, and I dont have to move to benefit from my own smoke.

Unless the smoke is intended to only exist for the physical phase?  It says the smoke dissipates in the end phase...  That would be less OP... you would get a little defense against melee after the weapon attack phase, but after physicals in the end phase it goes away and wont make the heavy woods LRM sniper a +4 terrain mod next turn from woods and smoke.  If that was the intention, I think thats cool--it wont save you versus death from aboves but you may dodge a kick in the thick exhaust of the LRMs.

The lack of LRM indirect fire isnt a drawback, because as an alternate ammo type you can still make indirect attacks with normal ammo, and presumably if you are making LRM attacks you wouldnt need the smoke defense or min range reduction.  Id add a cluster penalty to offset the +3 accuracy bonus from minimum range... +3 accuracy at short range is when this alt ammo would be used, so thats where I would seek to balance it.