Author Topic: Green Ghosts  (Read 23668 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Re: Green Ghosts
« Reply #30 on: 22 November 2012, 13:55:51 »
I don't think so.  The first mention of the Green Ghosts was in the FedCom Civil War Sourcebook, which was a time when the developers were cuing things up for the Jihad. 

What I find most curious about them is not who they are comprised of (Blakists, Clanners etc), but WHY they are going after religious excavations sites.  That is curious to me.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 22 November 2012, 18:11:17 »
because they are pursuing a radical agenda where all religion is made up to cover for the fact that Aliens are responsible for everything, and they just have to expose the truth (which considering the current 'green Ghosts can be anything/nothing whatever you want way of things makes as much sense as anything)
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #32 on: 24 November 2012, 11:07:35 »
Any takers for the idea that the Green Ghosts are in some way foreshadowing a new uber faction that will be Herb's mysterious winners come 3250 and the rest of us will be split between throwing off the overlords shackles or gouging a high price for our help in propping them up.

Nightsky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 24 November 2012, 19:53:32 »

Regarding their reference in Blood Avatar and the blood-disk symbol, I could see Blood Spirit remnants being a plausible factor. A scouting party sent out after the Viper Annihilation to locate a viable star system for a second secret colony could have encountered the Ghosts in the deep coreward periphery.

Generally though I don't think there's enough evidence for any real conclusions about the Ghosts.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #34 on: 26 November 2012, 09:20:08 »
ISP3 has the information you are looking for.

While ISP3 leaves much of the story of the Green Ghosts a mystery, their are strong hints that they are controlled by the WoB and comprised of at least some ex-Clanners.  And they are found along the anti-spinward, coreward periphery (former RWR territory).
I think those are captured Goliath Scorpion Seekers who were brainwashed. Just my theory.

And wasn't there a Lyran RCT that lost several of its support regiments on the Periphery? Just never arrived? I can't remember the unit now and my quick search of FM:LA isn't turning up anything. Anyway, some of those troops could've been captured by the Green Ghosts and their equipment used by the forces. This could explain why Lyran battle armor appears in their ranks.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2012, 09:25:41 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #35 on: 26 November 2012, 10:17:19 »
It was the 7th Crucis Lancers that lost its support units
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #36 on: 26 November 2012, 15:52:58 »
It was the 7th Crucis Lancers that lost its support units
Ah. Thanks!
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #37 on: 28 November 2012, 19:54:26 »
Savarin 223-74 was where they disappeared.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

sherlox

• Sergeant
  • "You rebel scum...wait, wrong universe"
« Reply #38 on: 29 November 2012, 23:47:59 »
Any takers for the idea that the Green Ghosts are in some way foreshadowing a new uber faction that will be Herb's mysterious winners come 3250 and the rest of us will be split between throwing off the overlords shackles or gouging a high price for our help in propping them up.

We can but hope so

mattruh

• Private
« Reply #39 on: 28 January 2013, 11:38:10 »
Didn't a Com Guard Division also lose one or more level IIIs in the Periphery mysteriously as well?

Vanadius

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 28 January 2013, 12:17:29 »
Is the Manei Domini implantation tech sufficiently advanced to selectively wipe and/or alter a person's personality and memories?

MD catches clanners and repurposes them.

Catches Lyrans and repurposes them.

Everybody becomes fanatics under their hands.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #41 on: 28 January 2013, 12:26:56 »
Stepford Battletech?   [AAAH]

Wellard2006

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 16 June 2013, 09:16:38 »
I'm pretty certain the Ghosts are not Clan Wolverine..and that most of the information people have gleaned about the Minnesota Tribe is erroneous.However I am fairly certain that Devlin Stone was a Tribesman even though it's only a gut feeling
"These are your prices? Who do you think you are, Wolf's Dragoons?"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #43 on: 16 June 2013, 11:12:11 »
I think those are captured Goliath Scorpion Seekers who were brainwashed. Just my theory.

And wasn't there a Lyran RCT that lost several of its support regiments on the Periphery? Just never arrived? I can't remember the unit now and my quick search of FM:LA isn't turning up anything. Anyway, some of those troops could've been captured by the Green Ghosts and their equipment used by the forces. This could explain why Lyran battle armor appears in their ranks.

Scorpions or Hellions wouldn't need to be brainwashed - defeated in Battle taken as bondsmen then made warriors again

Seen it a few times with IS factions Scorpions and Hellion warriors wouldn't have that much contact with IS so maybe there warriors would still accept the Bond oath even one with the Green Ghosts
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #44 on: 16 June 2013, 11:22:08 »
Wow, talk about thread necro. It is possible that captured Clan Warriors would become bondman to other Clan members even if the rest of the clans consider the original Clan destroyed. But to someone from the Inner Sphere or even a Periphery power or a pirate? That's pushing it.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 16 June 2013, 12:01:19 »
Wow, talk about thread necro. It is possible that captured Clan Warriors would become bondman to other Clan members even if the rest of the clans consider the original Clan destroyed. But to someone from the Inner Sphere or even a Periphery power or a pirate? That's pushing it.

Maybe not given the scorpion dent for collections things from the past maybe they could see the Green Ghost quest of religious sites similar
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 16 June 2013, 13:46:51 »
Sure but working for Inner Sphere Surats?

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #47 on: 16 June 2013, 15:44:10 »
If your opponent beats you honorably, Clan warriors seem to have no problem becoming Bondsman to non-Clan entities. Most Clans (with the exception of the Spirits and Mandrills) have/had no problem switching allegiance to whomever was able to down them. Early Invasion info paints a similar picture of Clansmen taken captive in battle against the Inner Sphere.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 16 June 2013, 15:45:03 »
Sure but working for Inner Sphere Surats?

Happened to plenty Clanners before

say a Trinary of Scorps dropped off in there Union C by JumpShip get jumped by Green Ghosts the Scorpions fight well but are defeated

Goliath Scorpions were always described as opportunists the ghosts say we collect stuff too if we find any Star League stuff you can have a share.  Now there unit is toast and they have no way home.  I think a Scorpion would go for it. 

A Jade Falcon or Star Adder maybe no but an isolated scorpion I think they would

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #49 on: 16 June 2013, 16:02:36 »
IIRC wasn't there a couple clusters of Adder's running around in that part of space when the WoR kicked off?
yeah, here we go.. Upsilon Provisional Galaxy. sent to recon the IS in 3066.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 16 June 2013, 16:14:39 »
Clan Snord on the loose then?  :D
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 16 June 2013, 17:07:14 »
All very true examples but you are missing one point. That's all early Invasion/3050's mindsets. The Truce and years of Rules Lawyering Inner Sphere leaders, much less the Great Refusal has put paid to the Homeworld Clans according any honor to Inner Sphere or Periphery powers. By the 3070's I think they mostly believe any Inner Sphere Unit or Periphery unit would rank about the same as a Bandit Caste unit in there eyes.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 16 June 2013, 18:19:09 »
All very true examples but you are missing one point. That's all early Invasion/3050's mindsets. The Truce and years of Rules Lawyering Inner Sphere leaders, much less the Great Refusal has put paid to the Homeworld Clans according any honor to Inner Sphere or Periphery powers. By the 3070's I think they mostly believe any Inner Sphere Unit or Periphery unit would rank about the same as a Bandit Caste unit in there eyes.

Wolf, Jade Falcon, Star Adder, Steel Vipers maybe but Goliath Scorpions?

IIRC wasn't there a couple clusters of Adder's running around in that part of space when the WoR kicked off?

Didn't they end up going rogue or something?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #53 on: 16 June 2013, 18:22:31 »

They're dead and accounted for.  They became the reborn Burrocks and subsequently were killed by the Adders.

To the patient go the spoils

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #54 on: 16 June 2013, 20:57:03 »
The Thera sighting the comms officer makes sort of sinks that theory. Combine that with the Spectral attack and that was almost certainly the hitherto missing Corinth. Also, the location is wrong. The world is cited in the Rimward Periphery, out past Canopian/Taurian space, while the Ghosts have stuck almost exclusively to the Lyran Periphery. The opening story clearly is intended to depict the missing Manei Domini as opposed to the Green Ghosts. They're two very different things (as far as we know).

Now, the first instance I ever read about the Green Ghosts was in the FCCWSB, where they appeared sometime between February and August of 3066. They were specifically stated to be seen using classic Star League designs, modern AFFC designs, and even some Clan OmniMechs. They were painted olive green and were raiding archeological sites on the periphery of the Lyran Melissia Theater, so I think we all know who these unnamed bandits were. They actually repulsed an attack from the Qanatir MTM using three BattleMech companies vs. two mixed battalions of MTM tanks and 'Mechs. The Ghosts salvaged a dozen 'Mechs and captured about two dozen militiamen (contrary to the IE report of rarely if ever taking prisoners).

Personally, I believe the case the book puts forth about a WoB-ROM operation, at least in the beginning. The C3i, the Purifiers, the sporadic use of Level II formations, there is definitely a ComGuard/WoBM influence going on there. The "angelmen in their white robes and pale skin," while taking the veracity of the source into account, also reinforces this in my mind. I'll echo the earlier sentiment that when I first read of "Mikal and his glowing yellow eyes," my first thought was of a Manei Domini. To say WoB didn't have the forces is unfounded, as we've never been given more than a glimpse of what strength WoB-ROM and the Light of Mankind had at their disposal.

But it also seems like there was some kind of merger, or absorption of a Clan element, given the Peregrine, the Clan equipment and sporadic force structure, the scorpion "gang picture," and the hostility towards the hypothetical Rim Worlds and WoB elements. The fact that the number of attacks has dropped off while simultaneously becoming more violent, all at the same time a new element using different emblems and tactics has appeared, leads me to believe they may be under new management (possibly violently), or they've at least obtained fresh meat from somewhere. The penchant to try and flank and get into rear areas doesn't ring a bell with any Clan I can think of, but they evidently aren't very good at it, judging by ISP3's wording.

As a last bit of food for thought, the Wars of Reaving, on top of giving us the first glimpse at the Ghosts Peregrine, also tells the peculiar tale of some Ice Hellion remnants. A Hellion JumpShip carrying a Binary of troops sent a mayday indicating they were about to be overtaken by a Ghosts marine action in the Dark Nebula in 3071, as that Clan was getting demolished by the Falcons and Horses. Five years later, a number of 'Mechs and Elementals with the markings of the Hellion Binary was observed as part of a much larger Green Ghosts force that hit a number of Horses and Bear worlds. In 3079, they hit Nyserta to destroy a new Diamond Shark facility located on "an old colony site" but were rebuffed by an unexpected Diamond Shark Cluster. They destroyed the Ghosts company and DropShip, but took one prisoner alive. His genetic code matched the Ice Hellion Star Colonel in charge of the Binary lost eight years earlier, but his facial features had been altered. Some of the salvage was of Clan origin, including at least two machines with markings from Ice Hellion factories.

I have no idea what this all adds up to, but something seriously strange is going on with this force. Obviously.

Excellent compilation of the facts.  Covers pretty much all we know about them at present. 

I wonder how much we'll learn in the upcoming ilClan sourcebook.  Maybe more of their hand will be revealed.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 16 June 2013, 23:00:06 »
I think like has been stated it started out as a WoB operation but was soon taken over by a Clan force. What if this is a bunch of Clanners who's Clans have been destroyed that have banded together to form a sort of Mini-Clan? Call it Clan Green Ghost with individual units retaining the original Clan formations. Say a Blood Spirit Cluster, a Mandrill Cluster, or a Ice Hellion Cluster. That and there using prisoners as bondsman and raising them as replacements for their losses. Probably using a lost Amaris or more likely a old Star League depot as a base of operation. One known to the Clans through records kept from the Exodus. A possibility is this unit is known to the Goliath Scorpions who use them to look for supplies or Star League artifacts and are rewarded with supplies and possibility captured Clan warriors from the Homeworlds.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #56 on: 16 June 2013, 23:39:14 »
The GG's origins are crazy to think about, possibility wise. But they seemed to have sucked up Scorpions for certain, Ice Hellions for certain, and who knows about other Clans, but yeah, I think GG's are a viable place for Clanners to go when they die.   ;D  But that's not something I would think the WoB would do.  They have WoB equipment, they may have gotten to rob the WoB cache at Waystation 531, I think.  But it could be a WoB enterprise, it probably has as good a chance of that being likely as anything else in the end.  If it's not something new, which I hope it to be. 

Maybe they have some Society in their ranks too. 
« Last Edit: 16 June 2013, 23:41:05 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #57 on: 16 June 2013, 23:40:31 »
I think like has been stated it started out as a WoB operation but was soon taken over by a Clan force. What if this is a bunch of Clanners who's Clans have been destroyed that have banded together to form a sort of Mini-Clan? Call it Clan Green Ghost with individual units retaining the original Clan formations. Say a Blood Spirit Cluster, a Mandrill Cluster, or a Ice Hellion Cluster. That and there using prisoners as bondsman and raising them as replacements for their losses. Probably using a lost Amaris or more likely a old Star League depot as a base of operation. One known to the Clans through records kept from the Exodus. A possibility is this unit is known to the Goliath Scorpions who use them to look for supplies or Star League artifacts and are rewarded with supplies and possibility captured Clan warriors from the Homeworlds.

I like this theory. A part of me would love it if the reveal was a group of Mandrills & Spirits working in conjunction with Scorpion Seekers, and using salvaged Blakist equipment from abandoned stockpiles. It gives a very angry, revenge-y vibe to the Ghosts as a whole.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #58 on: 17 June 2013, 00:13:31 »
i could see it go the other way too.. a group of 'bandit caste' clanners with a bunch of wars of reaving survivors who stumbled over some WoB refugee forces and ended up captured, brainwashed, and used as auxiliaries.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #59 on: 21 July 2018, 02:21:36 »
Waives hands,  whispers mumbo jumbo under breath.......   Arise my thread & be born again anew !!!

Ok, yeah, all jokes aside, I was looking up info given the new world event & found this.

Has anything new come to light about the Green Ghosts in the last 5 years now, especially with the new event going on this summer?

Who are they, where did they come from, why do they do what they do??
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register