Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48882 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #90 on: 01 October 2019, 23:03:35 »
I found the replay on sportsnet.  It certainly isn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but he's lucky he didn't get 10 games.  He was aiming for a Knight's player, but ended up hitting the ref.  Had this event played out, say, 15 or 20 years ago he might not have gotten a suspension.  Kane's contention that the ref did anything but his job, when he took '5 strides' toward him after the play was dead is more or less accurate.  15 or 20 years ago the ref doesn't get between the players and a fight happens.  In the more civilized era of the NHL though the ref does his job and people don't fight.  The later is what transpired.

At the end the day, Kane goes 'half Wilson' (you never go half Wilson!) and earns a few days off.  Just as the powers that be intended it; my boys the Chelyabinsk Kartel's Kane vs. Ben Rome's Error 404 Kuznetsov sitting for 3 games to start the season. 

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: 01 October 2019, 23:43:19 »
Other reason swinging sticks at people is done, Kane is suspended for 3 games against divisional opponents.  This includes 2 games against Vegas that actually count for something in the standings.

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: 02 October 2019, 00:38:28 »
The replays I saw lacked both sound & context, but it looked to me like the linesman made some mistakes that Kane then compounded.

The TSN guys seemed to agree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNl9p7y3GE

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #93 on: 02 October 2019, 00:58:20 »
I've read a few takes on it, and most agree the refs should not jump in so quickly and let scuffles play out before intervention.  A lot of fans still don't mind fighting.  I happen to agree.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 01:01:15 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #94 on: 03 October 2019, 20:53:27 »
Blackhawks sign Alex DeBrinncat to a three year contract extension, taking care of business one full year before his current deal expires.  He'll be getting $6.4 million per year starting next season, and forgoing the waiting games we watched play out this summer.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 04 October 2019, 07:06:01 »
Avs win and Mikko gets 2 goals to celebrate his new contract. Donskoi gets 2 as well.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #96 on: 04 October 2019, 18:36:04 »
Brayden Schenn wont be becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season anymore.  The Blues signed him today to an eight year extension worth $6.5 million per season.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #97 on: 05 October 2019, 23:48:54 »
Wings win in Nashville 5 to 3.  Tyler Bertuzzi with two goals.  Big night for the underdogs.

Elsewhere...  Zibanejad with the hat trick for NYR.  Panerin had a goal and an assist, too.  Rangers are rollin. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #98 on: 06 October 2019, 21:36:30 »
Mantha scored four goals for the Wings in their 4 to 3 win over the stars.   I was at my watering hole in my Konstantinov jersey when it happened.  I will have to keep doing that...

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #99 on: 06 October 2019, 21:57:18 »
The Habs won a wild one over the Leafs in T.O. Saturday night.  Down 4-1 in the third, they looked out of it and set to lose, when they scored two quick goals to get within 1, and then Leafs winger Kasperi Kapanen did THIS (see video):

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-lack-composure-proves-costly-collapse-canadiens/

After some deliberation to determine who was able (by the rulebook) to take the penalty shot, it was decided that Jeff Petry had to do it...and he made it count.

Habs end up winning 6-5 in the shootout.  It was the second straight game where they went to SO (the season opener being a loss to the newly-archrival 'Canes); while it was nice to see them battle back from deficits both times, I wouldn't call this a recipe for long-term success.  They had better figure out how to build a lead and hold it during regulation.

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: 08 October 2019, 12:53:51 »
@rebs, now the Red Wings just need 3 other lines

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #101 on: 08 October 2019, 13:50:42 »
Thats what we brought in Yzerman to do.   It may be a while for three more lines.........

Edit.  And yeah, the D scores once tonight, so it's not just a one line effort.  Maybe next game.......   And I wore my Konstantinov jersey at the same watering hole and everything............
« Last Edit: 09 October 2019, 00:33:56 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #102 on: 08 October 2019, 21:34:13 »
And after all the nothing, Patrick Marleau signs with the Sharks.   Must have been that bum start.  They need leadership.   
« Last Edit: 08 October 2019, 22:25:37 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #103 on: 09 October 2019, 00:23:18 »
I get the plague and everything in San Jose goes to hell.  By the end of the week they will have signed Evgeni Nabokov to play in goal  ;D

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #104 on: 09 October 2019, 00:36:33 »
Get over the plague soon, Firesprocket!  The league of uncouth hockey fanatics needs your hockey brain intact.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #105 on: 10 October 2019, 22:23:00 »
I get the plague and everything in San Jose goes to hell.  By the end of the week they will have signed Evgeni Nabokov to play in goal  ;D

He must have heard you.  Marleau got 2 goals and helped the Sharks win their first of the season.

Hope you feel better soon.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: 16 October 2019, 00:52:19 »
As do I.  I'm going to Hawaii next week with my parents.  Last thing I need is to kick this crud and then contract something else on the way to or on the way back.  I may have to call the doctors office and make another appointment if it doesn't clear up by the end of the week.  I was able to overlook the Caps thrashing yesterday due to the fact I was at work and the Nats' thrashing of the Cardinals.    While it's well to early to etch it into stone, my gut tells me that Samsonov will be the starter by the end of the season.

Burakovsky also is off to a good start with Avalanche.   I hate to see a guy who was stuck in the mud here go off and do wonderful things elsewhere.  In his case they are ramping up a little more play time for him and I think it's paying off.

Marcus Johansson also is off to a solid start with Buffalo too.  Hopefully he won't have to many injuries and can build up is stock again.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 17 October 2019, 21:40:03 »
It only took him 127 NHL games, but diminutive Habs defenceman Victor Mete finally scored his first NHL goal tonight against the Wild in a 4-0 Habs win.  Rookie Nick Suzuki, acquired in the trade that sent Max Pacioretty to Vegas, also got his first NHL goal...and it took him fewer than 10 games.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #108 on: 17 October 2019, 23:09:39 »
The Red Wings are MIA at this moment. Somewhere in the wild Canadian west.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2019, 01:57:24 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 18 October 2019, 01:47:50 »
It only took him 127 NHL games, but diminutive Habs defenceman Victor Mete finally scored his first NHL goal tonight against the Wild in a 4-0 Habs win.  Rookie Nick Suzuki, acquired in the trade that sent Max Pacioretty to Vegas, also got his first NHL goal...and it took him fewer than 10 games.
A goal is a goal.  You take your first in a professional setting whenever and however long it takes.

I'm curious since we don't get much state side coverage here on Canadian teams, what's your opinion of
Joel Armia start this year?  Simply a hot start or do you think he can hit a 20+ goal clip this year?

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 19 October 2019, 20:44:15 »
A goal is a goal.  You take your first in a professional setting whenever and however long it takes.

Point taken, but he was not so goal-challenged in junior--he had 15 goals his last season in London (Ontario).  The transition to pro has been harder for him than for many others--he didn't rack up many points even in his AHL stints.  The Habs hang on to him primarily because of his skating ability and puck-moving capability, qualities for which he's the polar opposite of his usual partner, Shea Weber.

I'm curious since we don't get much state side coverage here on Canadian teams, what's your opinion of
Joel Armia start this year?  Simply a hot start or do you think he can hit a 20+ goal clip this year?

I will have to reserve judgment on that until I actually see him in a few more games.  The main knock many Habs fans had against him last year was that he was the kind of player on whose stick offense went to die--good at carrying the puck but lacking at translating that into offense (his own or others').  He does indeed seem somewhat more proactive this season, but his last goal against the Wild came on a 5-on-3 where he was left unguarded at the side of the net.  (He was scratched for the Saturday matinee against the Blues--a 5-2 Habs win.)

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 19 October 2019, 23:41:30 »
So we are now 8 games deep inside into the season and the Avs have yet to lose in regulation.  Looking at their schedule for the remainder of October I can see them going 4-1 or 3-0-2 and finish the month with 25 standings points.  Meanwhile  given player comments it looks like the first coach to be fired may be the Wild's Boudreau

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #112 on: 23 October 2019, 01:24:59 »
Wings lost again tonight.  That's five in a row.  We're a young team and it's showing right now.

And....  We just got younger today.  Yzerman put Jonathan Ericsson on waivers.  Many a fan will rejoice in that.  I like the team's commitment to a youth movement.  It will be a long road, but fans have to be patient, just as Yzerman said when he took the GM position.  Its a game of years not periods.  Until then...  Here's to being a die-hard fan who gets to watch it all.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #113 on: 23 October 2019, 03:51:26 »
Great game between Bruins and Leafs last night leafs do not like playing defence especially behind net 4-2 to the B's
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #114 on: 29 October 2019, 21:14:58 »
Hey, let's wait until we're behind by six before we change goaltenders.

That'll work!   :ugly_stupid:
I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #115 on: 30 October 2019, 07:27:55 »
Hey, let's wait until we're behind by six before we change goaltenders.

That'll work!   :ugly_stupid:

I'm glad you weren't talking about the Wings.  When I saw this post I had to go check.  They were winning, but with the way they've been playing, you never know...
« Last Edit: 30 October 2019, 07:30:30 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #116 on: 03 November 2019, 09:47:22 »
I have returned from my Hawaii vacation and I see I get to play the Hellbie Bruin juggernaut next week.   Me thinks for 4 games for the Bruins against mostly bottom feeders this going to be a long week  :'(

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #117 on: 05 November 2019, 04:30:09 »
Well, reassessing my thoughts about the Red Wings, it's going to be a long and brutal season.  Detroit sports are in the doldrums.   Patience, which is key for a rebuilding team, will be sorely tested if it keeps going like this.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #118 on: 05 November 2019, 22:21:48 »
I have returned from my Hawaii vacation and I see I get to play the Hellbie Bruin juggernaut next week.   Me thinks for 4 games for the Bruins against mostly bottom feeders this going to be a long week  :'(

Gee, those bottom feeders can sometimes do the darndest things, eh?

HABS WIN 5-4!!!  :P  ;D

cheers,

Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #119 on: 07 November 2019, 02:13:12 »
We're setting ourselves up for the lottery.  That's my only excuse for Bad Hockey going on in Detroit right now.