Author Topic: Mish-mash Narrow-Profile and Compact  (Read 1708 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Mish-mash Narrow-Profile and Compact
« on: 03 December 2019, 20:13:40 »
I'm looking to shoe-horn in two light tanks (APCs, really) into a single light bay, but the precedents seem to go sideways: Ones' a prerequisite for the other? One or both imply "just bad" for an infantry carrier?
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Mish-mash Narrow-Profile and Compact
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2019, 20:16:07 »
It depends on how many infantry you want to cram in there... more than a squad would be questionable in my mind...

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2019, 20:31:20 »
I keep putting six PA suits into things, and loosing track of what it would mean for PBI; Six tons "worth" of rucksack-carring infatry will fit into a light vehicle bay, with or without a 25-ton hard candy shell?
Goose

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2019, 20:41:18 »
PA(L) suits are 400 kg max, so six of them is about 2.5 tons.  That would be 25 Foot infantry...

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2019, 21:09:31 »
PA(L) suits are 400 kg max, so six of them is about 2.5 tons.  That would be 25 Foot infantry...
PA(L)s only need a quarter-ton of space each, and Light suits need a half-ton of space each, from that optional (Tac Ops?) rule for BA transportation.  1.5 tons would be sufficient for a 6-man PA(L) squad.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2019, 04:34:50 »
That TacOps rule only goes half way.  There's no reason not to use the actual weight of the suits you're carrying.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2019, 13:17:52 »
I am not familiar with Battletech Spaceships, but I imagine you don't need to use expensive dropships to transport combat vehicles and civilian cargo spaceships can do it better. Different from Battlemechs, tanks are very compact (okay the Battletech ones not so much) and can be accommodated in a cargo area with other supplies.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2019, 13:37:21 »
It depends how fast you're going to need your vehicles to be out and fighting - bays are designed for rapid deployment. Cargo stowage ... not so much.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2019, 14:25:34 »
Let's try that again: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Design_Quirks#Compact_.27Mech_.5BBT.2C_AS.2C_SBF.5D is a rather neat set of notes, but is it legit? The cheap Compact quirk requires the expensive Narrow Profile quirk?

… I guess I should ask if ether infantry or power suits would be happier riding around in something that's narrow instead of squat
Goose

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2019, 06:20:57 »
Let's try that again: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Design_Quirks#Compact_.27Mech_.5BBT.2C_AS.2C_SBF.5D is a rather neat set of notes, but is it legit? The cheap Compact quirk requires the expensive Narrow Profile quirk?

… I guess I should ask if ether infantry or power suits would be happier riding around in something that's narrow instead of squat

interesting find, however when talking about vehicles we are already at a pure mass consideration, a 50t vehicle consumes a 50t vehicle bay. A 25t vehicle however consume the same 50t - the remaining 25t are what?
So instead of two different vehicle bays, it might be a better option to consider vehicle bays as huge bulk cargo bays - and calculate that you need 120% of the vehicle weight as cargo.

Also, a BA transport can be a sled long and sleek but quite high, it will have poor handling by default. think of a doppel-decker bus that is cut in half through the length axis, this is an compact BA transport vehicle.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2020, 21:07:35 »
Additional thought: How many spaces should the seven ton Advanced Mobile HQ take up?
Goose