Author Topic: 'Dam and Lake' map (now (1 Sept) with 'Dam Valley' map downstream as well)  (Read 5465 times)

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Re: 'Dam and Lake' map
« Reply #30 on: 26 February 2020, 23:57:21 »
I think we all want to play on a blow up the damn dam map. 

I would be fine with a quick and dirty hack that trusted the chosen maps to work with each other. 

Do you want me to open an enhancement request on git?

Windchild

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 27 February 2020, 21:06:03 »
Please do @Iceweb
MegaMek Developer - MekHQ, Personnel, and Internal Focus
MegaMek Discord
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #32 on: 01 March 2020, 13:27:08 »
Beautiful, thanks for sharing!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #33 on: 02 March 2020, 08:00:39 »
Downriver map of before and after will would be good since nice way to "Surprise" people when dam goes.   "Oops!  Sorry the map has changed!"
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Re: 'Dam and Lake' map (now with 'Dam Valley' map downstream as well)
« Reply #34 on: 31 August 2020, 20:33:12 »
You asked (or at least Wrangler did), and I heard. And I have (finally, sorry for the delay) responded ...

And thus I present ... a valley downriver from the dam. Again, this is now available in both 'original' and 'the dam is out' flavours. A quiet(ish) river valley, with orchards to the west, and planted fields (I like to think of these as vineyards) to the east. There is a settlement in the middle of the valley, at the confluence of the main river with a smaller tributary, which is followed by a major road. There is also some newer housing, built (foolishly, as it turns out) on the floodplain of the river. The valley sides are, in the main, lightly wooded (more lightly, in fact, than the lake sides).

(I'm afraid I was slightly lax, and didn't check that enough water had been lost from the dam to guarantee raising the height of the river by 1 level. Please assume that this is fine, and that there is possibly an accidental dam just off the map to the south-east, probably made of fallen trees and destroyed building components, causing the river to have backed up. There has been enough flow of water to take out one of the smaller bridges, as well as the buildings and many of the woods on the flood plain.)

64x68 Dam Valley
(click to enlarge)

64x68 Dam Valley - Breached
(click to enlarge)

And, to give an idea of what these look like combined with the matched dam maps, to make a 64x136 board ... it's like this:

(click to enlarge)

« Last Edit: 31 August 2020, 20:36:01 by Simon Landmine »
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 01 September 2020, 06:06:56 »
Omg!!!  That is so cool! I've never seen such urban map made with such care!
Thank you! :thumbsup:
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #36 on: 01 September 2020, 18:51:31 »
Those look amazing
Are there underwater woods hexes?  Or is megamek unable to do that yet?

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #37 on: 01 September 2020, 19:15:02 »
Omg!!!  That is so cool! I've never seen such urban map made with such care!
Thank you! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Those look amazing
Are there underwater woods hexes?  Or is megamek unable to do that yet?

Thanks.
The water level only went up by about 6m, so there aren't any completely drowned woods. Most of the woods hexes in the flooded area were turned to rough, but there were a couple that should be semi-submerged (if MM handles that). From some playing with the map editor, it looks as if MM will fully submerge a wood if you plant it in depth 2 water, though, so hopefully partially-submerged will be handled. Buildings don't seem to submerge, though (must contain a lot of bouyant foam insulation), so I rubbled all of the buildings in the path of the flood. (This also means that you won't see an underwater city map until that's resolved.)

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Semi-submerged (and, indeed, fully submerged) woods hexes still stick up 12m above the water's surface for LOS purposes. The renderer and the LOS are apparently handled differently. Github issue has been logged, but suspect it won't be priority. I'll leave the semi-submerged hexes in for now - maybe the trees had a growth spurt because of the water, and if the LOS issue ever gets resolved, then they'll be ready and waiting.
« Last Edit: 01 September 2020, 20:01:12 by Simon Landmine »

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
I never knew how much I needed an undersea city/lab to have mechs fight in till now

Urban + Water that is a damn killing ground

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
I never knew how much I needed an undersea city/lab to have mechs fight in till now

Urban + Water that is a damn killing ground

Have to admit that I have no idea how the rules would interact for an undersea city, but it would definitely be interesting! (For certain, specific, values of 'interesting'.) There have been a number of requests for a 'flooded city', though, so when that's possible ...

Register