Author Topic: Vehicles and Double Heat Sinks  (Read 14175 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Re: Vehicles and Double Heat Sinks
« Reply #60 on: 18 January 2012, 15:43:54 »
I firmly feel that vehicles should always play second fiddle to 'Mechs.  Yes, I'm the guy that plays MM with Vee Effectiveness optional rule off and direct blow rules on.

In reality, there is absolutely no reason that tanks wouldn't be exponentially more powerful and sensible than 'Mechs.  But I didn't get drawn into BattleTech for the reality of it, I came for the stompy 'Mechs.  Tanks being almost as effective as 'Mechs just kills it for me.  I mean, if they're THAT good, and THAT much cheaper, why not just use them exclusively?  The terrain thing sort of makes sense, but I prefer 'Mechs to be far more survivable as well.  This solidifies their place at the top of the food chain, and makes playing with them fun.  Likewise, it makes campaigns dealing with combat vees as secondary units or opfor militia interesting.
I have a different thought that leads to the same conclusion. The ballistic weapon advantage vehicles have gives them a beautiful character, why make them more like mechs? In double blind games they can be quite frightfully efficient. Besides those of us who have dealt with SRM carriers do not want to see Ontos superupgrades.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2012, 15:46:46 by Minemech »

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 18 January 2012, 19:26:36 »
Kanga
Technically that was a hovercraft.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 19 January 2012, 04:51:02 »
A hover tank. Still jumped.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #63 on: 19 January 2012, 05:19:00 »
So did the Hephaestus and Leaping Lizzie (IIRC). None of the jumping tanks were fluffed as major successes.

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 19 January 2012, 05:43:35 »
Maybe not, but it can still jump chasms.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #65 on: 19 January 2012, 08:50:04 »
So did the Hephaestus and Leaping Lizzie (IIRC). None of the jumping tanks were fluffed as major successes.

But fluff and actual use rarely ever line up.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #66 on: 19 January 2012, 13:02:34 »
In actual use, I'd prefer something that isn't going to stop after three one point hits. YMMV.

Regardless, all the examples are historical and thus irrelevant in the currant time period.

Register