Author Topic: Coreward Confederacy and the Provisional Virginian Union Conscripted Militia  (Read 2149 times)

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
So being born in Virginia, I did a bit of digging on Sarna to see what wonderful stories the creators of Battletech came up with on the name of Virginia, and I came across the Coreward Confederacy.  Turns out it was originally an Autocratic nation named the Autocracy of New Virginia which was overthrown to create the Virginian Union, followed by a civil war leading to the Coreward Confederacy.  Then ComStar decided to show up, and the Confederacy told them to get off their lawn.  It seems like it has quite a bit of potential, with a couple scuttled shipyards and resource-rich worlds.  Unfortunately most of their planetary military assets are composed of ground vehicles and some aerospace assets.  In the end, this seems like the perfect system that describes the Deep Periphery, and will provide a good background for my 'mercenary' force.

With that long description over, I present to you the first couple assets of the Provisional Virginian Union Conscripted Militia. 

With only two mechs, this merc "force" is composed of ragtag revolutionaries and deposed government leaders who want to revitalize the Virginian Union constitutional federal republic to encourage personal freedom, constitutionalism, and creating a military power strong enough to defend their holdings, as well as to hopefully find ways to get the shipyards and industries fully operational again. 

The pilot of the Awesome AWS-8Q, and leader of the PVUCM, George Washington, was able to purchase it after piloting and winning a good number of fights in the Solaris Arena after leaving the Coreward Confederacy with his companions on one of the few yearly jumpship visits.  With a few of his buddies from New Virginia, they have started selling their services as a 'merc' unit in order to salvage more mechs and recruit more pilots and soldiers to their cause.  After a few months of renting his assault mech out to house and mercenary forces that didn't want to risk their own, he finally landed a contract that would grant him salvage of a light mech if the opportunity was presented.  Fighting the Lyrans for control of an airfield, he was able to cripple a Commando for salvage.  The PVUCM now has two mechs and is one step closer to liberating their beloved home-system.  His second-in-command, John Adams, has taken control of the Commando after being a Patton pilot during the Virginian Union Civil War.

My goal with this unit is to give them a uniform appearance, but to make the units appear rusty and not visually maintained.  Obviously there is a bit of a theme going on with the names, the 'location' and it's history, and the 'mercs' purpose.  I imagine if George Washington was in the Battletech universe he would have piloted an Awesome.  Adams will upgrade as soon as he gets a chance, but for now this is all he has.

I wasn't sure if I should put this in Fan Fiction or in the Miniatures section, so here it is since there is a bit of backstory and I plan on building on it.  But if a mod feels it should be in the Miniatures section, then please feel free to move it.

Dave Talley

• Major
looks good,
also search out messages from Sigil, he had a Virginia named group also,
great stuff not much actual union/confed in the fiction, just unit name,
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sharpnel

• Colonel
A poster known as Trace Coburn has an AU as well. Just search for the 'Virginia War' and it should pop up.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
looks good,
also search out messages from Sigil, he had a Virginia named group also,
great stuff not much actual union/confed in the fiction, just unit name,
Iirc, the 69th Virginia Expoditionary Force, mostly of a Lyran Guard heredity.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
didn't the 69th later on morph into the regulators ?

Sigil

• Lieutenant
It warms my heart to hear that the 69th Virginia Expeditionary Force lives on in the memory of a few BattleTech fans.  There is link to the .zip file with all of the novellas off my Sarna.net page.  I pitched it a couple time to John Helfers who declined it.  You might also find it interesting that Robert Charrette, the author of Heir to the Dragon and Wolves on the Border, read both the first and last novella in the series.  To be perfectly, the best he said was that I showed a lot of improvement in my writing.  Still, I love it and read a few passages.  They get my blood pumping every time!

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Michael_Todd

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
sigil , i'm generally a lurker here , but have always really enjoyed the 69th stories and how over time they morphed into the regulators mercenary group . you wouldn't by chance have any more of their adventures laying around somewhere ?
crossed fingers

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Afraid not.  After writing that series, I went on to make TRO: 3028, TRO: 3049 and currently I am curating the Charrette Collection.  I have been considering returning to writing, however, now that the Collection is winding down but I expect it will actually be a non-fiction piece...

gladius

• Master Sergeant
So being born in Virginia, I did a bit of digging on Sarna to see what wonderful stories the creators of Battletech came up with on the name of Virginia, and I came across the Coreward Confederacy.  Turns out it was originally an Autocratic nation named the Autocracy of New Virginia which was overthrown to create the Virginian Union, followed by a civil war leading to the Coreward Confederacy.  Then ComStar decided to show up, and the Confederacy told them to get off their lawn.  It seems like it has quite a bit of potential, with a couple scuttled shipyards and resource-rich worlds.  Unfortunately most of their planetary military assets are composed of ground vehicles and some aerospace assets.  In the end, this seems like the perfect system that describes the Deep Periphery, and will provide a good background for my 'mercenary' force.

With that long description over, I present to you the first couple assets of the Provisional Virginian Union Conscripted Militia. 

With only two mechs, this merc "force" is composed of ragtag revolutionaries and deposed government leaders who want to revitalize the Virginian Union constitutional federal republic to encourage personal freedom, constitutionalism, and creating a military power strong enough to defend their holdings, as well as to hopefully find ways to get the shipyards and industries fully operational again. 

The pilot of the Awesome AWS-8Q, and leader of the PVUCM, George Washington, was able to purchase it after piloting and winning a good number of fights in the Solaris Arena after leaving the Coreward Confederacy with his companions on one of the few yearly jumpship visits.  With a few of his buddies from New Virginia, they have started selling their services as a 'merc' unit in order to salvage more mechs and recruit more pilots and soldiers to their cause.  After a few months of renting his assault mech out to house and mercenary forces that didn't want to risk their own, he finally landed a contract that would grant him salvage of a light mech if the opportunity was presented.  Fighting the Lyrans for control of an airfield, he was able to cripple a Commando for salvage.  The PVUCM now has two mechs and is one step closer to liberating their beloved home-system.  His second-in-command, John Adams, has taken control of the Commando after being a Patton pilot during the Virginian Union Civil War.

My goal with this unit is to give them a uniform appearance, but to make the units appear rusty and not visually maintained.  Obviously there is a bit of a theme going on with the names, the 'location' and it's history, and the 'mercs' purpose.  I imagine if George Washington was in the Battletech universe he would have piloted an Awesome.  Adams will upgrade as soon as he gets a chance, but for now this is all he has.

I wasn't sure if I should put this in Fan Fiction or in the Miniatures section, so here it is since there is a bit of backstory and I plan on building on it.  But if a mod feels it should be in the Miniatures section, then please feel free to move it.
Actually I’m pretty sure it should go into the Non-Canon Units section.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?board=53.0

DOC_Agren

• Major
Afraid not.  After writing that series, I went on to make TRO: 3028, TRO: 3049 and currently I am curating the Charrette Collection.  I have been considering returning to writing, however, now that the Collection is winding down but I expect it will actually be a non-fiction piece...

I miss your stories Sigil
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"