Author Topic: Chronological BattleTech Fiction Review - The Succession Wars - Part II  (Read 205640 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: March 30, 3026

Title: Anything for a Buck

Author: Stephan Wieck

Type: Encounter (White Wolf Magazine #8)

Synopsis:  The fallout from the raid on Duetora lasts for weeks.  One of the radar operators in Borlan accused to taking a bribe to let Ryan's ships land undetected, and prosecuted for treason. 

Synguard spokesman Kerrard Leon files a lawsuit against the Duetora city council, citing an ancient ordinance that holds the city liable for property damage inflicted by enemy military action, seeking compensation of 130,000 ryu and any captured bandit equipment, including the DropShips. 

At best, with a successful Diplomacy roll, the PCs may get to keep half the salvage, and the courts force Duetora to pay Synguard.

Notes: Despite Minos IV being a Combine outpost, the culture feels very Lyran, due to the primacy of rule of law, rather than the dictatorial structures that are common on other Combine worlds.  In other Combine-ruled corporate-dominated settlements portrayed in fiction, the local corporate representative is the defacto ruler, with little check on their authority.  (In "Where the Honor Lies," on Kawabe, Kawanashi Enterprises' Lord Prefect has the authority to sentence Combine citizens to slavery in company-owned mines and brothels and to have unlicensed merchants skinned alive.  Simply serving a subpoena to the city council seems...un-Combine.) 

Per the background section in the adventure, Synguard Corporation owns most of the land and industrial assets on the planet, which makes Kerrard Leon's actions quite restrained, by comparison.  It's possible that Synguard's standard operating procedures (those applied company-wide) have to accommodate the fact that it operates in the Lyran Commonwealth as well, and acting like Kawanashi Enterprises would get it accused of crimes against humanity and see its trading license yanked by House Steiner.

The question of competing legal claims arises.  Per the old city law, the council may be obligated to compensate Synguard for losses.  But why would that include the 'Mechs and DropShips?  Also, the PCs' mercenary contract has legal standing, and was (apparently) signed by the Duke of the Rasalhague District.  Given standard practice at the time, it was probably notarized by ComStar.  That contract should have included provisions for salvage rights that would take precedence over the local compensation claim, which almost certainly would just be for cash, rather than military assets.

130,000 ryu works out to about 100,000 C-Bills ($1.17 million in 2018).  Seems like chump change, considering the Combine spent at least three times that just to send a Green lance out to Minos.

The goal, of course, is to instill a grudge against Synguard in the players' minds, which pays off later in the adventure.  Still, if I were the PCs, I'd fire off a quick message to the ComStar HPG station in Borlan asking for a ruling by the ComStar Mercenary Review Board, with the salvage held for safe keeping by either the Duetora city council or ComStar until the legal issues are resolved.

The issue of the radar operator taking a bribe from Redjack Ryan's crew is feasible, especially for an outpost world that only has two settlements.  However, the adventure notes that the PCs get reports from Combine military ships (Draconis Combine Admiralty vessels?) or their own integral assets (if they have their own transports) about the arrival of a Synguard vessel...so why wouldn't any of those have reported the arrival of a Ryan's Rebels' jolly roger at the jump point?  It must have come in unobserved at a pirate point.  (It's not as though the system is bustling with traffic.)  This also raises the question - once the raid was underway, why wouldn't any Combine military vessels present in the system have intercepted the outbound DropShips?  Perhaps the DCA fleet arrived in-system after the raid (in response to it) and before the arrival of the Synguard ship.

The fact of the bribe also suggests that Ryan has active agents in Borlan, and probably in Duetora as well, which has the potential to make things interesting for the players, since they're now on Redjack's radar.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: April 15, 3026

Synopsis: An Invader-class Synguard JumpShip has arrived in the Minos system on its monthly schedule and dispatched three DropShips to the surface to make deliveries and collect shipments of food, water, and ore. 

The PCs see a Synguard Union land at the silo shipping plant north of Duetora.  When the players go to the landing site to collect their monthly pay packet, they find that the DropShip also has a shipment of parts there were part of the remuneration deal with the previous mercenary lance garrisoning Duetora (which rotated to Borlan when the PCs arrived). 

The PCs can acquire the parts if they outsmart the not terribly bright clerk at the depot, but if their Professional Soldiery Liaison Officer, Alaira Christiansen, finds out, she'll dock their pay for far more than the market value of the parts.

Notes: Wieck does a nice job at setting up conflicts for the PCs.  Yes, the parts are a bonus, but then they have to spend a lot of effort evading the scrutiny of their PSL officer.  When the Dragoons violated their contract and withheld salvage from the Combine after a battle, they had to bury it until the end of the contract to avoid ruining their reputation and causing House Kurita to lose face.  (Though that latter consideration was far less of a concern by the time the contract actually ended.)

One extra wrench the GM can throw in is that the mercs in Borlan will be wanting their parts, and won't take kindly to the greenies in Duetora having filched them.  Sure, Borlan's on the other side of the planet, but what else is there to do for fun on Minos IV?  Clever GMs may be able to stir up anything from an escalating rivalry of pranks and snubs, to making this the start of a blood feud.

Given the references to there being a ComStar HPG compound on Minos IV (non-canon, of course), I'm somewhat surprised the mercs are being paid in sacks of cash, rather than just having money transferred electronically to their accounts by ComStar.  Minos IV must not have a planetary computer network or the infrastructure for electronic funds transfer, making it a cash-based frontier economy.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: April 20, 3026

Synopsis: News comes to the players that the Synguard JumpShip has left the system, but that one of its three DropShips has gone missing - never having made its scheduled pick-up of ore at Borlan nor food/water at Duetora.

Players who question Kerrard about its status are told that it is still at Borlan.  If they check with Borlan and disprove that assertion, he will claim it is undergoing maintenance in space.

Conducting an investigation in the vicinity of Duetora will bring players into contact with a farmer, who recalls seeing a DropShip with a Synguard emblem passing over his fields, but does not know where it landed.

If asked about landing sites in the vicinity, Colonel Mariam refers the players to Sgt. Joeseph Mannerick, who once ran a now-abandoned military communications station in the desert west of the mountain ridge that demarcates the edge of the Duetoran Valley.  He can mark its exact location on the map, but cautions the players not to trespass there without proof that the DropShip is there.

If the players investigate the site, they will find it protected by a vibrabomb minefield around the exterior fenceline, along with a Synguard lance (freshly painted in Redjack Ryan's livery) consisting of a Warhammer, two Wasps, and whatever bandit 'Mechs Synguard obtained during the lawsuit, along with three squads of security infantry (Kerrard's bodyguards).

If the players are forced to retreat, the fake "Ryan's Rebels" 'Mechs will destroy the grain silos at the shipping yard and file a claim against Duetora for restitution of damages (despite having removed the grain for safekeeping).

If the players crush the Synguard lance, local authorities will arrest Kerrard and several other local Synguard officials.  Synguard executives claim Kerrard had gone rogue, and deny corporate responsibility.  The players will be celebrated as heroes in Duetora.

Notes: There's a hefty amount of "early installment weirdness" here, owing to the author only having MW1E as source material.  One such instance is the note that the desert base was used by the DCMS as a military communication station, but abandoned it after ComStar set up services on the world. 

Circa 3025, the Combine certainly didn't have their own HPG or even black boxes, so what sort of communications were they doing that could be supplanted by ComStar?  All I can think of is that they may have been operating surface to space communications, and ComStar offered to take over that role for a lower fee than it would cost for the DCMS to keep the base staffed and operating.  (Additionally, the base's equipment may have been failing, and not worth the expense of maintaining once ComStar arrived to do the job.)

The Synguard ship's low pass over the fields can probably be explained as an attempt to get lost in ground clutter and not appear on radar.  But wouldn't it have been tracked up to the point it reached that low altitude?  Plus, wouldn't that radar have tracked the ship if, indeed, it had stayed in space for maintenance?  Kerrard's cover story seems ludicrously easy to disprove. 

I'm also finding the economics of the situation to be questionable.  Sure, the city's law requires the compensation payments for damage sustained.  But burning down your own house for the insurance payments only makes sense if you aren't planning to live there anymore.  If you just invest the money in rebuilding, there's no profit on the bottom line.  Even the dodge of pulling the grain out and claiming it was destroyed isn't sustainable for profit, since the cost of reactivating and manning the desert base (which, recall, was closed by the DCMS as uneconomical) and refurbishing the bandit 'Mechs probably well exceeds one DropShip-load of grain. 

All I can figure is that Synguard plans to abandon its operations on Minos, figuring that Redjack Ryan will eradicate their infrastructure on the planet in the near-to-mid term in any event, so they might as well get some extra value from it by destroying it themselves before Ryan has the chance.  That would fit with their apparent desire to put the squeeze on a settlement that they (presumably) extract a profit from by owning and operating the local production centers and controlling the offworld trade.  Why bankrupt the the settlement with overblown damage claims unless you figured they'd all be dead or slaves on Butte Hold in a year or two?

I've never been a fan of vibrabombs - they always seemed to me to be too random.  If you set them too light, they blow when your targets are still outside the blast radius.  Too heavy, and they don't go off as your foes thunder right over them.  About the best use I've ever found for them was to have Assaults charge forward to set them off while enemies were passing over, but even then, command-detonated units would be far superior. 

The ones in the battle are rated at 50 tons, meaning the Warhammer will have to stay well back from the fenceline or risk blowing a hole in his own defenses, though the Wasps can frolic out there with impunity.  Assuming that (based on the payscale) the players are, at best, running a medium lance, their 'Mechs are in danger of being in the vibrabomb sweet spot.  A long-distance snipe-fest would be recommended, except for the presence of that Warhammer - the twin PPCs make it likely the players will come out  behind, especially since the battle is in alkali flats (the back side of the standard map sheet), with no cover.  For all hexes within 10 hexes of the fenceline, there is a 1-in-3 chance of it being mined (checked when a player 'Mech first enters).  Even if the players are outgunned at range, they should resist the urge to close - the last thing they want is to have a leg torn off by a vibrabomb, and most Medium 'Mechs can't stand up to a Warhammer's 14-point kick, so keeping at a distance, running around, and concentrating fire on the Warhammer is your best bet.  If the Wasps (and bandit salvage) come out to play, take your best shot, but always keep moving. 

The author goes out of his way to keep the players' aerospace assets out of play, suggesting that the base is fully camouflaged by tarps and cannot be seen from aerial flybys, and having Synguard sabotage the player air assets.  It seems that, just as editorial steps were taken to remove SDS batteries and WarShips from the equation in mainline BattleTech source material (because there's no game if your unit gets swatted while still inbound towards the planetary surface), early scenario writers were hard pressed to maintain game balance when bombing runs are introduced into the equation.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2018, 14:23:41 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: April 25, 3026

Synopsis: In the days following the battle at the communications base and the exposure of Kerrard's scheme, the Synguard Corporation loudly proclaims its innocence, fingering Kerrard as a rogue agent.

However, the players might find Synguard's protestations somewhat hollow, as Synguard thugs attack the players if they walk the streets alone, or try to lure them into an ambush, with the goal of either intimidating them into not testifying in court, or simply killing them.

If the players survive to testify in court, Kerrard is found guilty and sent to prison.

Notes: Since I hadn't really previously seen the Combine as a "rule of law" society (more a "rule of tradition" society, with nobles doing as they like and the Friendly Persuaders used to beat down anyone who doesn't like their assigned role in society), I decided to look into the Combine's legal system.

Handbook: House Kurita says that justice in the Combine is overseen by the Ministry of Peaceful Order and Honor, which dictates civilian laws and runs the Halls of Swift Justice (criminal courts).  Per that entry, those accused of crimes have the right to counsel, the right to confront their accusers, and the right to cross-examination.  Those accused are presumed guilty, and must prove their innocence. 

Cases with military implications are referred to the Assembly of the Grand Inquisitor (where those deemed guilty simply disappear).  Any case involving a noble goes to "Guaranteed Honor for Kurita's Servants" (noble court), which weighs noble testimony far more heavily than the words of mere commoners. 

In this case, Kerrard would be assumed guilty and (since he actually is guilty) would have a hard time escaping that outcome, especially with Synguard throwing him under the bus from the get go.  All the players have to do is show up to guarantee he can't weasel out with his trademark highly transparent explanation. 

Since he was using a former DCMS base and fielding BattleMechs for the purposes of raiding a Combine outpost, however, there's a good chance that this would actually be referred to the Military Court, meaning that the players attend a drumhead court overseen by the city militia commander.

Kerrard doesn't seem to be a noble.  If he were able to get it kicked up to Noble Court, I wonder if the Duke of Rasalhague, as the mercs' employer, would be called on to testify. 

While Synguard basically owns the land and factories on Minos IV, the Combine has to be making its production and tax quotas off this outpost, or they wouldn't let the trading cartel operate with impunity.  Whatever token local administrator represents the Coordinator on this hunk of rock probably is happy to accept the cartel's offer of Kerrard as a sacrifice to avoid upsetting the apple cart.  (Synguard putting all the blame on Kerrard can be seen as a form of yobitsume - the yakuza ritual of atonement involving cutting off one or more digits.  Kerrard's the digit, in this case.)
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 10:28:17 by Mendrugo »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Since the Handbook House Kurita wasn't around when this was written, what did the House Kurita (The Draconis Combine) source say about their legal system in comparison? If i remember right, it's under "Social Problems" which didnt' get into super detail if i remember right.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2018, 15:22:34 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
It's pretty much the same text, word for word, in both books.  Both are under the section on Ministries, in the subsection on Justice.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: May 20, 3026

Title: Now You're Gettin' Nasty!

Synopsis: A DCMS Union DropShip arrives in-system attached to an Invader under orders from the Duke of Rasalhague. 

When the Union lands on Minos IV, under the command of Colonel Barakor, a Knight of the Wing, it collects the two mercenary lances garrisoning the capital city of Borlan.  Barakor takes a shuttle jet to Duetora to order the players to accompany him on a punitive raid against Butte Hold.

The players will either use their own DropShip or be assigned to a DCMS Leopard for this operation.

Notes: Having "sword nobles" holding the title of "knight" (and getting a tiny landhold for his/her "castle") has been a long-established part of the BattleTech universe, but this is the first time I can recall seeing a Combine character with that appellation. 

"Knight of the Wing" could imply that there are either ascending knightly ranks, or parallel orders of knights (Knights of the Claw?  Knights of the Eye?  Knights of the Tooth?  Knights of the Tail?) in the Combine, roughly parallel to the Federated Suns' Warrior Societies.  We know that there are elite orders within the upper echelons of the Combine, including the Sons of the Dragon.

Efficiency is not, apparently, a requirement for induction into the Knights of the Wing.  Why take a shuttle jet to Duetora rather than just sending the players their orders while inbound from the jump point?  The only reason I can think of for Colonel Barakor to come to Duetora in person is that the ISF considers the local communications network compromised by Redjack Ryan's agents (not a bad bet, considering how the space radar operator was suborned), and wanted to keep the retaliatory raid off the commnet to ensure the raiding force has the element of surprise.

It's also interesting that Colonel Barakor only commands a single lance on this operation, backed by three unaffiliated mercenary lances, given that his rank would usually correspond with regimental command.  Either he's the Combine equivalent of a "social general," or he's risen through the ranks on the intelligence side of the house - perhaps as a DEST hotshot.  (We'll have to see if his personal lance lives up to that rep, or if the players will have to pull his fat out of the fire.)

Also interesting that the Duke of Rasalhague is the named source of the orders for the retaliatory raid.  Reading the Combine sourcebooks, the District Warlord has authority in all military matters, while the civilian administrator (the Duke, in this case) must be subservient to the Warlord's authority.  That's why Duke Ricol's semi-independent operations with his own private army was so out of character in the Gray Death Legion books, given the headaches his autonomy would have created for Warlord Sorenson.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: June 20, 3026

Synopsis: En route to Butte Hold, Barakor briefs the players on the mission parameters.  The player unit is to execute an orbital drop on a small equatorial town named Gehenna and secure a landing pad.  Once the pad is secure, the Barakor's Union will land and his lance will lead the mercenary company to destroy Gehenna.

As the two DCMS DropShips approach Butte Hold's orbital space, they may (at GM discretion - primarily as a way to give any player aerospace assets a workout) have to fight their way past Ryan's Rebels' aerospace fighters attempting to intercept. 

Once the orbital lanes are clear, the player 'Mechs are dropped onto the Gehenna spaceport (a landing pad, a hardened two-story building with an AC/5 turret, a Light one-story vehicle hangar, a Medium two-story infantry barracks building, and a Medium three-story 'Mech bay.

The landing pad garrison consists of two foot rifle infantry platoons, one foot SRM infantry platoon, a Manticore, an Ostroc, an Ostsol, and an Ostscout.  (If player aerospace assets survived the orbital battle, more pirate aerospace assets should be added to the fray, though the setup notes that "Redjack's Air Force is rather pitiful.")

If the players are defeated by the defending forces, Colonel Barakor abandons them on Butte Hold and returns to the Invader at the jump point.  If the players succeed, the Union lands and Barakor disembarks his company. 

As the Combine raiding force, including the player 'Mechs, stages for the push against Gehenna, the city garrison uses a Long Tom artillery gun to fire a fission-bomb-tipped missile at the landing pad.  The bomb detonates in the high atmosphere, creating an EMP field that shuts down every unit on the pad, and makes any unprotected personnel suffer from radiation poisoning.

The Gehenna garrison dispatches a 'Mech lance and supporting infantry to annihilate the neutralized Combine raiders.  Colonel Barakor orders his men to retreat into the mountains on foot. 

Notes: The main Butte Hold settlement in this adventure is named "Gehenna," but (naturally) the canon maps for Butte Hold (in Touring the Stars: Butte Hold) show no such city.  Named settlements on that map include Raider's Roost (Ryan's HQ), Mater, 'Urt, Grennid, Thieves' Harbor, Yonker Oasis, and Singlestown.  (Interestingly, Raider's Roost is also the name for the planetary capital of Tortuga Prime - another hive of scum and villainy on the other side of the Inner Sphere.  Typo or intentional copy?  You decide!) Thieves' Harbor is probably the best canon stand-in for Gehenna, since it's near mountains and one of the closest settlements to the equator.  (There is a canon "Gehenna City" in BattleTech, but it's located on the Kerensky Cluster world of Hellgate.)

So...where to start?  The author clearly holds some antipathy towards aerospace assets in the campaign - routinely having maintenance issues or sabotage sideline them.  In this phase, he describes the Ryan's Rebels aerospace assets as "pitiful."  By contrast, the "pirate operations" section of Field Manual: Periphery notes that aerospace assets are the most important part of a proper space pirate's arsenal when going after valuable cargoes aboard JumpShips and DropShips.  'Mechs are only useful for guarding the home base and for raiding planetary targets.

The only canon reference we have to Ryan hitting a JumpShip, however, is in the Periphery sourcebook, when he appears to either be using a militarized JumpShip or (more likely) an Assault DropShip to hit a commercial JumpShip that strayed into the Butte Hold system after getting caught in an ion storm.  Since there was no mention of fighters in that action, Ryan's Rebels' fighter assets may indeed be pitiful.

Regarding using a Long Tom to launch a nuclear missile at the landing pad, two things:

1) Huh?

also

2) What?

Trying to translate this into canon, we could be looking at a Davy Crockett-M, which can actually be launched in shell-form (though not as a missile) from a Long Tom.  On the other hand, the rules also state that DC-M attacks are always ground bursts, meaning that they can't be used for this sort of high altitude airburst to create EMP and radiation effects. 

Since it was stated that the warhead was launched on a missile (discounting the Long Tom reference), we're looking at a Santa Ana (the Alamo is described as being designed for launch from a fighter) mounted on a White Shark.  One thought is that the White Shark could be jury-rigged to be launched from atop a Mobile Long Tom chassis, which would satisfy both the airburst capability and the statement that it was launched from a Long Tom.

Either way, Ryan having nukes implies that he found and looted at least one SLDF or Amaris (or even Reunification War-era) doomsday bunker out in the Periphery, like the ones on Garrote or Cermak, since I don't see Butte Hold itself manufacturing much beyond compressed krill rations (Butte Bricks).  The adventure confirms this, noting that "Ryan found an ancient fission bomb" and fired it aboard "an ancient missile."  It may even date back to the Reunification War, when the RWR turned many of its border worlds into "hedgehog" planets, dotted with fortifications capable of launching cruise missiles.

The ruleset from Jihad Hot Spots: 3070 indicates that the airburst can be up to 18 km up from the surface and still affect the ground below.  However, the canon secondary effects are both nastier and shorter lasting than depicted here.  Unarmored personnel suffer 25-100% casualties, rather than just getting radiation sickness.  The worst result on the Secondary table automatically shuts 'Mechs down, but also kills the pilots and inflicts 1D6 critical hits.  Barakor isn't leading anyone into the mountains after that.  If the worst effects are avoided, all unprotected personnel still die, but pilots only suffer four hits, and must make a shutdown roll with a TN of 10+.  A glancing blow only kills half the unprotected personnel, gives pilots two hits, and forces a shutdown check at 6+.

Since the shutdowns aren't any longer than usual, there'd be no reason to abandon the afflicted 'Mechs - they'll restart in a turn or two (unless the TN remains at 10+ - the table isn't clear on that).  Since the 'Mechs do get abandoned, we have to assume that they took a hard hit that resulted in a persistent 10+ TN for shutdown and four pilot hits apiece.  With fresh 'Mechs inbound and no guarantee that his 'Mechs would restart any time soon (c'mon 10, 11, or 12!), I can see Barakor fleeing.  I'm just surprised that they would be able to evade Ryan's 'Mechs, which would be able to outrun dismounted MechWarriors on foot (wearing, at best, survival clothing from their ejection seat emergency lockers) in no time flat.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 09:58:51 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: June 21, 3026

Synopsis: Once the Combine/Mercenary survivors break contact with Ryan's Rebels in the aftermath of the nuclear strike, Colonel Barakor develops a plan based on the idea that nuclear missiles have been outlawed by treaty between the Five Houses.  He orders the players to split off from the main group, evade the pursuing Ryan's Rebels' infantry, and infiltrate the town of Gehenna. 

In Gehenna, the players' goal is to reach a ComStar relay station which can transmit messages to the Class B station in orbit.  Barakor believes that once House Kurita learns of the use of a nuclear device, it will dispatch a punitive expedition to crush Ryan.

Notes: Hrrmm.  Yet another example of how much more refined the concepts of HPGs, ComStar, and the Ares Conventions have become since the early days, when authors only had the capsule universe guide from MechWarrior 1st Edition.

Why would Ryan care about the Ares Conventions?  He certainly wasn't one of the original signatories, and his authority doesn't derive from any of the Houses that signed it.  Not to mention, it was formally suspended at the outset of the Reunification War and never re-imposed.  No references support the idea that comprehensive five-party nuclear weapons limitation treaties were signed in the post-Reunification War era either.  Even if they had been, Ryan's a pirate, and he didn't sign those either.

Stephan Wieck certainly couldn't have foreseen the contents of Touring the Stars: Butte Hold, but the description of ComStar manning a messaging station in a bandit kingdom sounds dicey, especially if he was going off the info in MW1E, which states on p. 130:  "There are well over 50 'A' stations scattered throughout the Inner Sphere.  In addition, there are stations capable of transmission and reception over a 20- to 30-light-year span.  These are the 'B' stations located at every inhabited world in the Inner Sphere, except the independent worlds of Butte Hold, Redmond, Unuk al Hay, Santander, Oberon, and New Silesia."

So, per canon, there certainly shouldn't be a Class B orbital HPG being run by ComStar.  TtS: Butte Hold does, actually, reference the presence of an HPG on the planet, but describes the Star League-era Class B station as "abandoned" circa 3026, noting that Ryan built his fortress directly on top of it.  The legacy facility wasn't restored to operation until 3120.  Even if the HPG were functional in 3026, I think it might be beyond the capabilities of a team of irradiated mercenary MechWarriors without 'Mechs to infiltrate Ryan's fortress at Raider's Roost, penetrate to the sub-basement, and fire up the HPG to send a distress call.  (And if it is within their capabilities, the GM should be clear at the outset of the adventure that the players are an elite "Blake's Wrath" special forces team under cover as green mercenaries.)

One alternative would be to have the players make a run for an ISF safehouse in Gehenna, and rely on the crew there to send a courier out to make contact with the Combine.  Or, taking a page from Grayson Carlisle on Verthandi, have the team target an in-system communications facility and send a message to the DCMS Invader theoretically still at the jump point (since it won't have Lithium Fusion batteries for a quick jump-out) asking it to go for help.

In terms of motivation, rather than a desire to crush Redjack Ryan, I'd think the Combine's ears would perk up at the mention of the ancient nuclear missile, since it suggests Ryan may be sitting on additional LosTech that would look nice in the Coordinator's personal vaults, or may know where to get it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: August 1, 3026

Synopsis: After the players succeed in sending a distress call (by whatever means the GM works out), they have to spend the intervening period either trying to survive in the slimy alleyways of Gehenna or playing cat and mouse in the Tholine Desert with Ryan's search teams as they try to link up with Barakor's group in the mountains. 

When the Combine relief expedition comes, it is swift, powerful, and devastating to Redjack Ryan.  Surviving characters will be well paid and have their 'Mechs fully repaired.  Their reputations will be substantially enhanced if they successfully seized the landing zone (the original mission objective), making them eligible for more lucrative missions from House Kurita in the future.

Notes: In addition to surviving the mean streets of Gehenna or trying to find the elusive Colonel Barakor, the GM could tempt the team to spend the intervening month searching the Tholine Desert for LosTech.  Per TtS: Butte Hold, Combine raiders stashed equipment in salt caverns across the planet during the Third Hidden War, and locals have been discovering them since the 2800s.  While TtS suggests that the booty isn't great (ammunition, small arms, rations), Ryan did find that nuclear missile somewhere...  Plus, he stashes his loot from his raids in the caves as well. 

The massive Kurita invasion (probably a regiment of Rasalhague Regulars) could be interesting to play out.  Entries on Ryan note that nearby governments were reluctant to hit Butte Hold directly for fear of him executing hostages and/or deploying chemical weapons against the invaders.  If he's willing to use nukes against raiding forces, that's probably a justified fear.  Kurita may be inclined to simply bite the bullet, though, and accept the losses in order to lance the boil that Ryan represents. 

While this is non-canon (from a non-licensed gaming magazine), a heavy Kurita raid that smashed his infrastructure and forced him to flee for a time may have been what led him to more seriously consider an alliance with Maria Morgraine, with whom he'd go on to form the Greater Valkyriate in 3028. 

It would actually be a fun campaign to pit Ryan's Rebels against the Rasalhague Regulars, with the Regulars trying to pin down the wily Redjack with superior numbers, while Redjack tries to escape with as much of his crew and booty as possible, strategically employing his limited military assets alongside his collection of ancient WMDs.  A good chance to roll out the chemical and nuclear weapons rule sets from the Jihad sourcebooks.  Those looking to fit this into the canonical timeline can assume Ryan fled with most of his troops intact, and then returned to Butte Hold a year or so later, once the Combine had burned his fortress down and departed.  (His booty remained sealed in secret tunnels, and he'd only built the fortress in 3017, so an easy construction job to rebuild it.)

Frabby

• Major
The nuke - I don't think there is even reason to believe every nuke in the BattleTech universe falls under those types that we've got rules for. As a strategic, plot-level weapon, any nuclear device with basically any stats is fine by me. Depending on the distances involved, hey, why not a rocket/missile based airburst warhead that's fired from a Long Tom.
The fact that Ryan can use a nuke he found is way more unbelievable than that such a nuke existed.

Ryan's aerospace assets - He was an established space pirate, not only from that testimony but also from his (brief, and victorious) war of vengeance against Monopole Lines. His boarding DropShip was gutted by an explosive charge anti-pirate system on a Monopole JumpShips, Ryan destroyed three other Monopole JumpShips to bring a message across, and Monopole subsequently abandoned their anti-piracy program as inefficient. (FM:Periphery, p. 125)
Apocryphally, Redjack Ryan aerospace is mentioned in the scenario going with TCI model kit #5, with the scenario fiction told through the eyes of a downed Redjack Ryan pilot.

HPGs - Oberon VI was also frequently listed as possessing a class B station, though it mysteriously went dark in 3045 (apparently intended by the authors to foreshadow the Clan Invasion, but four years early with no proper explanation ever given). So I'd take that MW 1st Ed. list with a grain of salt.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
We actually have rules for creating nuclear weapons, and the fact that it's described as a fission device suggests it's not a standard weapon (those are fusion weapons). The easiest way to fit it in would probably be a custom tech C warhead.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
I'd say, then, based on the description given, we're looking at something in the Davy Crockett class of yield with a rocket boost that kicks in after it leaves the artillery tube so it can get high enough to airburst - sort of like a huge gyrojet with a nuclear payload.

Still, the idea of firing off an ancient weapon mounted on an ancient missile sounds risky in the extreme.  It would have denied the players agency and cut the adventure short, but it would've been wonderful if there had been a sidebar with the following text:

GM: Roll 2D6.  On a 4 or less, read the following text to the players.  "As you begin marching towards Gehenna on your mission of destruction, there is a bright flash from the center of town that momentarily blanks your sensors and causes your transparisteel viewport to automatically darken to opacity.  When you can see again, you note that a blast wave has flattened most of the structures in the city and set the rest on fire - smoke from which rises to join the towering mushroom cloud looming over the doomed settlement.  Mission accomplished, and you didn't even have to cross the city line!  That'll teach those bandits to play with ancient packages marked 'Danger!'"
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 08:15:40 by Mendrugo »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: June 18, 3023

Title: Hot City Night

Author: Kevin O'Neil

Type: Scenario (Breakout! Magazine #31)

Synopsis: The setup notes that Maximilian Liao plans a major incursion into the Free Worlds League, and first needs to secure Les Halles as a staging base for strikes against industrial and political targets deeper inside the League.

In June 3023, the mercenary unit Farnsworth's Fusiliers, under Liao contract, engaged two companies of Marik mercenaries - elements of Caesar's Cohorts - in the large city of New Nelson.  After CO Larry Farnsworth ordered a frontal assault on the superior Marik positions (which were supported by LRM turrets rigged on many of the taller buildings), Lt. James Xenon disobeyed orders and instead flanked the Marik lines and hit a staging area where two Marik reserve lances were stationed.

The battle pits Xenon's lance (Crusader-L, Wolverine-M, Trebuchet, and Blackjack-D) against Caesar's Cohorts' "Red Glare Fire Lance" (Archer, Dervish, Dervish, Stinger) and "Brush Breakers Light Recon Lance" (Phoenix Hawk, Ostscout, Locust, Locust).  Red Glare was taken by surprise out of their 'Mechs, and those units may not move or fire, and are considered shut down, for the first four turns. 

The battlefield is the original CityTech map with 30 buildings on it, ranging in height from 1 to 4 stories.

The battle takes place at night, with all applicable modifiers, with the exception that all city hexes and adjacent hexes are illuminated by street lights.

Caesar's Cohorts score 2 points for each Fusilier destroyed, 1 point for each Fusilier 'Mech disabled (unable to walk or fire), and 1 point for each Cohort 'Mech that exits the map after turn 9. 

The Fusiliers score 2 points for each Caesar 'Mech destroyed, 2 for each Caesar 'Mech incapacitated, and 1 point for each Caesar 'Mech still on the board at the end of game turn 15. 

In the style of early FASA scenario packs, we also get brief bios and stat-blocs the Fusiliers' lance members.

Lt. James Xenon (G3/P3) - Age 39, from Kagal.  Completely bald due to a neurohelmet malfunction.

Teela Cavendish (G4/P3) - Age 27, from Arcadial.  Older brother joined ComStar, inherited her father's Wolverine when he died.

Igor Zissus (G4/P4) - Age 21, from Thorin.  Huge (7 feet tall) and ugly, he was abandoned as a child and sees Xenon as a father figure.  Shaved his head out of loyalty to his CO, and convinced the rest of the lance to do so as well.

Dang Fo (G3/P4) - Age 20, from Ovan.  A shifty rogue with a secretive background.

Notes: As could be expected in a non-canon unlicensed scenario, the initial setup doesn't fit the universe.  There was no way, circa 3023, that Max Liao was planning a "McCarron's Long March"-style heavy raid through a number of Marik systems.  The ink was still wet on the Concord of Kapteyn (signed October 13, 3022) that, in theory, bound the Capellans, Leaguers, and Combine together into an anti-FedCom alliance.  While some minor border raids may still have taken place on the Marik/Liao border after the Concord was signed, there's no way Max would be launching a major shock-and-awe raid through the backyard of his new ally.

Playing out the scenario, the obvious first move by the Fusiliers is to go after the Fire Lance and take them out while they're immobile.  Make best speed to their bivouac, taking any shots you can, and get up to physical attack range, then kick their legs off (or get behind them and blast through that thin rear armor to get the tasty missile rack criticals inside).  Aside from the Phoenix Hawk, the rest of the Brush Breakers aren't going to do much more than muss your paint jobs with their medium lasers.

Assuming that the Fire Lance is mostly ruined before they power up, then turn your attention to chasing down the Brush Breakers - all of which can outrun you in a zone packed with hiding places.  Odds are you won't be able to do much to them if they keep buildings between you and them, but you can at least keep them busy until they bug out on turn 10+. 

For the Cohorts, you can't effectively impede the Fusiliers' approach towards Red Glare's starting point, since they all have jump jets.  Fall back to join the Red Glare 'Mechs and make the Fusiliers pay if they try close assaults against your fire lance.  Shoot up their backsides and try to draw fire from Red Glare in the hopes that one or two will be relatively intact at the start of turn 5, at which point you can assess your options for taking them on head to head or engaging in a fighting retreat.

It's unclear why the author would chose some canon systems (Ovan and Thorin) as homeworlds and make up others (Arcadial and Kagal).  Given the roughness of the art, I'm guessing the backstory about sympathetic head shaving was to cover the artist's lack of confidence in their hair-drawing abilities.

If we take the power-up sequence from Blaine Pardoe's NAIS training manual as even semi-canon, then the Fire Lance troops are in their 'Mechs already and eight rounds into the 12-round emergency start-up procedure at the start of the scenario.  (So no option of machine gunning them as they sprint from the barracks across the tarmac towards their 'Mechs.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: June 19, 3023

Title: A Question of Honor

Synopsis: Upset about Lt. James Xenon's insubordination during the assault on New Nelson, Captain Larry Farnsworth challenges Xenon to a duel, with the winner remaining and the loser departing in disgrace.

The two duelists meet at dawn in the shadow of Mount Guano.  Farnsworth (P5/G4) gains a +2 on  the first turn's initiative roll, while Xenon (due to a hangover) rolls at a -1 penalty for initiative for the entire scenario.  Xenon pilots a Crusader-L while Farnsworth is in a Victor-B.

The duel lasts ten rounds, with the winner being the one with the highest point total at the end.

1 point - each armor hit on the front or side
2 points - each internal structure hit on the front or side
2 points - each critical hit
2 points - each physical attack made
3 points - each physical attack made on the rear
3 points - getting first blood
-4 points - each weapon attack against the rear

Points are cumulative, so a physical attack against the rear that and scores a critical hit would be worth 7 points.  (2 for physical, 3 for physical from the rear, 2 for critical hit).

Historically, Farnsworth used his initiative advantage to win handily, maneuvering to deny Xenon a clear shot at him, then getting in close and Alpha striking with his AC/20, lasers, and feet, felling the Crusader.  Defeated, Xenon left the Fusiliers.

Notes: Assuming this is fought on a standard BattleTech map (the setup just says "use the map shown below from Map Set 1" but there is no accompanying illustration), the Crusader is at a substantial disadvantage.

Xenon's Crusader-L has two LRM-10s, 2 SRM-4s, two Medium Lasers, and a 4/6/4 movement profile.  It can only Alpha Strike with all its weapons effectively when the target is in the sweet spot at Range 6 (Medium Range for the SRMs and Lasers, and Short +1 for minimum range for the LRMs).  Given the initiative penalties, Farnsworth will be controlling the engagement range in most rounds, especially the first. 

Since the Victor is a short-range brawler, Xenon wants to keep his distance as much as possible.  Jump away as much as possible and pepper the Victor with LRM fire.  Since you outrange him, it should be easy to score the "First Blood" points. 

To game the point system as much as possible, you can turn your back on the Victor once it closes to effective shooting range for its weaponry.  He'll get a -4 penalty for every shot he takes, and you can still torso twist and fire off one arm's worth of LRMs.  Just don't keep your back turned once he gets close enough for physical attacks.

Once you get backed into a corner (and you will, as you keep losing initiative and you're fighting in a one-map broom closet), hope you've done enough ranged damage to make the contest more even.

For Farnsworth, you want to close as quickly as possible.  You can also game the point system by jumping towards the Crusader backwards, denying him any point-making opportunities from LRM fire.  Once you get into weapons range, land facing forwards and rip into him with your AC.  If he's playing the same "show him your backside" game, keep closing until you're up close and personal, and either pound his rear armor with physical attacks, or hit him from the front with an Alpha Strike.  If he tries to shield his rear by backing up against the map edge, just shove him off and win by default.

Overall, a mismatched scenario designed to result in the intended outcome, with an odd point system that can result in bizarre tactics generally not seen on the battlefield.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: May 1, 3025

Title: Revenge

Synopsis: More than a year after his defeat and dismissal from Farnsworth's Fusiliers, James Xenon is serving in a Steiner fire lance assigned to put down a Kurita-backed insurgency on Planting.  While defending a hill, Xenon comes face to face with Larry Farnsworth and his command lance, now under Kurita contract. 

The two square off for a rematch.

The Fusiliers Command Lance is Farnsworth's Victor-B, along with a Thunderbolt (P5/G3), Rifleman (P5/G4), and a Locust (P4/G4).  Xenon's Fire Lance is his Crusader-L, a standard Crusader (P5/G4), a Catapult (P5/G5), and a Wasp (P5/G3). 

Points are scored as follows:
+1 - Each shot fired by Xenon or Farnsworth that hits the other
+15 - each crippled enemy 'Mech (can't walk more than one hex per turn, or can't fire)
+20 - each destroyed enemy 'Mech
+5 - each enemy that leaves the board after its leader is eliminated
+5 - Having your leader take out the other leader
+10 - each 'Mech left on the board five turns after their leader dies.

When a side's leader's 'Mech is destroyed, Forced Withdrawal conditions apply, and the losing side (depending on a 2D6 roll) gets a 0 to -2 initiative penalty.

Historically, Xenon put both fists through the Victor's cockpit, killing Farnsworth.  The Fusiliers approached Xenon later that night, noting that Farnsworth had no heirs, and offered him command of the unit, which he renamed The Shanghai Express.

This scenario takes place on a single BattleTech map that has a river cutting through the middle.  The two sides start on opposite sides of the river.

Notes: While Farnsworth's lance starts with a slight weight advantage, Xenon's fire lance starts with a massive range advantage, thanks to all its LRMs.  Optimal deployment would be for the missile 'Mechs to hide behind the hill while the Wasp jumps about and spots.  Keep that up until either the Fusiliers ford the river and close in, or the Wasp gets pot-shotted, or you run out of missiles, and then take your relatively fresh heavies out against Farnsworth's (hopefully) battered crew.  If possible, direct your missiles at Farnsworth's Victor, since taking him down basically wins the scenario unless you've taken catastrophic losses beforehand.

For Farnsworth, Have the Thunderbolt and Rifleman stay still while the Victor and Locust advance.  Use your greater accuracy and long-range firepower to snipe the Steiner spotter, forcing the missile launching 'Mechs to come out into the open.  Then charge - you're mostly close-range, so try to push them up against the edge where you have a decided firepower advantage.  A long range slugfest gives the Steiner forces significant advantage.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
<Posted in error, and I can't find the delete button>

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
I'll put you down as Team Farnsworth.   ;)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
I have a physical copy of Breakout #31 -- picked it up at a con years ago. The only issue I ever saw of that magazine....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
I’ve been lurking on eBay, trying to get a complete set of the old gaming mags with BattleTech content.  The Mechforce NA and UK periodicals have proven highly elusive.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I'd imagine you have go to Gaming conventions where players sell their stuff.  Those magazines aren't common place stuff, they were more likely thrown out since they weren't as well known and solidly made unlike other magazines.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: October 1, 3027

Title: BattleTechnology 0102

Editor: William H. Keith, Jr.

Type: Magazine (Pacific Rim Publishing Company)

Synopsis: Written (mostly) from an in-universe perspective, BattleTechnology 0102 is brought to us by editor William H. Keith (author of the Gray Death Legion novels).  In his opening editorial, he explains the magazine's various departments and issues a call for readers to send in articles.

Hiring Hall - Hassid Ricol: The Red Duke (William H. Keith, Jr.)

The Hiring Hall column evaluates the potential of Duke Hassid Ricol as an employer, noting that he has a nearly constant need for mercenaries of various types ("B" rating for "Need" on an A to Z scale), offers excellent compensation ("C" rating for "Pay"), but pairs that with hardship postings to hostile environments or remote garrisons ("T" rating for "Conditions").  The article notes that Duke Hassid Ricol treats his mercenaries much more fairly than is standard for the Draconis Combine. 

Ricol holds the title of Archduke, with title to 14 worlds in the Rasalhague Military District, including Kufstein's World, the Edge, Verthandi, Chekaar, Basiliano, Dahlgren, New Caledonia, Harvest, and 5 other worlds seized from House Steiner between 2997 and 3027).  He makes his ducal seat on Rodigo, in the city of Alexis.  House Ricol was part of the original settlers on Rodigo in the late 2200s.  General Henn Ricol became the first Duke of Rodigo in 2785, and Hassid became the 12th "Red Duke of Rodigo" in 3011.  (The Red Duke moniker derives from the color of House Rodigo's crest, and has been an official title since the reign of Stefani Ricol, 3rd Duke of Rodigo.)

A flamboyant figure who has cultivated a reputation for both political and military skill, he has survived five assassination attempts since 3019, and many of his enemies have had convenient accidents, or simply vanished.  He has an efficient network of spies and informers, and uses mercenaries more than other Combine nobles.

In 3024, he sent his troops to Trell I, posing as Oberon Confederation bandits, and drove out the Steiner mercenaries there, setting up the opportunity for "friendly" Combine forces to "rescue" the populace from the bandits.  The plan failed due to resistance from the local militia (aided by mercenary survivors and Oberon defectors), which delayed the Combine takeover long enough for word to reach the Lyran garrison at Antares.  This was followed by an uprising on Verthandi which forced Ricol to grant the world semi-autonomous status.

These setbacks have jeopardized his standing at the Court on Luthien.  While observers expect him to act to settle the Verthandi matter, rumors hint that a secret project in Marik and Liao space may have his attention.

Ricol is presently seeking mercenaries to suppress unrest in his holdings, and seeking freelance spies and bounty hunters to keep him informed on what's happening elsewhere in the Inner Sphere.  Mercenaries can expect offers of anti-rebel operations (ranging from fighting rebel forces, invading rebel worlds, besieging rebel cities, and riot duty/crowd control), defense against Steiner invasions, garrison duty, training cadre duty.  Contract durations range from six to twelve months.  Pay is handled through ComStar, but may also include landholds on rebellious worlds.  Liaison officers will be attached during operations.  Transportation will be provided by House Ricol once the unit arrives on Rodigo. 

BattleTechnology gives Ricol a marginally favorable recommendation, noting that the pay and opportunity is substantially offset by the high casualty rates among his past employees, with rumors that some were hired with the intent of liquidating them for political gain.

BattleGear - Sidearms - Submachine Guns (William H. Keith, Jr.)

Due to the technological decline of the Inner Sphere, lasers have been largely supplanted by far simpler, yet still lethal weapons like the submachine gun, which can be built and maintained with a 20th century technology base.

The New Avalon Edition of the Galactic Consumer's Report, Volume 27, Number 5, lists the following models:

Bereiter Model 14 (M14) - a light-weight, concealable SMG used by MechWarriors, security forces, intelligence agents, bodyguards, anti-terrorist teams, marine boarders, and commando squads.  The high rate of fire can burn through a clip in 2.5 seconds (though at full-auto "buzzsaw" mode, the recoil destroys accuracy and leads to jamming).

Imperator 2894A1 - rugged and reliable, the Imperator SMG is commonly used by military, special ops, and security forces.  The weapon's chief feature is a sound suppressor, though this does reduce damage and armor-penetration.

Rugan SMG - Common in the Periphery or backwater Inner Sphere planets, due to the ease of manufacture and maintenance.  They are generally manufactured locally under license from Rugan Enterprises of New Earth.  It uses caseless rounds, allowing more rounds to be fitted into a magazine and reduces the chance of jamming, though sourcing caseless ammo from unlicensed sources may result in feed jams, misfires, and a reduction of the weapon's hitting power.

Rorynex Industries 3-mm Sliver SMG Model XXI (RM-3/XXI) - designed as a close assault weapon (for ranges less than 100 meters), this SMG fires caseless explosive slivers.  It is lightweight and inexpensive, and thus popular with planetary militias.  It also sees use with line infantry, special ops forces, MechWarriors, and security forces.  The main problem is availability of the caseless ammo on less developed worlds. 

Kogyo-Khorsakov Special Purpose Weapon, M-920 - Favored by Kurita special ops and security forces, including the Otomo, it can be silenced and can mount a bayonet.

Thorvald & Koch MP SMG - One of the finest SMGs in the Inner Sphere, it is produced on New Avalon, Tharkad, and Skye in limited numbers.  It fires large rounds - either hollow-point or explosive.  Its short bullpup configuration makes it ideal for close-quarters fighting where heavy firepower is needed.  Davion and Steiner commandos favor it heavily.

MechTac - BattleTips - The David Ambush (William H. Keith, Jr.) (covered separately as a Short Story)

Black Luthien (William H. Keith, Jr.)

Written by in-universe author Roger van Nuys, this profile fleshes out the history and culture of Luthien.  Before becoming the site of the new Combine capital in 2617, the world featured uninhabitable equatorial deserts, shallow seas, and steamy polar swamps where fewer than three million farmers harvested bamboo, rubber, Jukwood, and Tushani crustaceans.

Today, 70% of the land area and much of the shallow seacoasts are covered by industrial facilities and manufacturing centers - creating tremendous output, along with pollution that has most native species on the brink of extinction.  These industrial zones are surrounded by "housing utopias" - vast slums with poor living conditions.

Tashiro Smith, with the Luthien Ministry of Information, presents an alternate perspective through the lens of Imperial City - rising out of reclaimed swampland, it is a cluster of magnificent palaces of teak, marble, quartz, ediobony, and granite amidst parks of imported sequoia, birch, and traverswood trees lining the Daimyo Canal.  He notes it took five years to drain the swamps, with each building and monument a unique work of hard built mostly by hand.  He asserts that the construction ignited an explosion of interest in old Japanese customs, traditions, art, and architecture which was spread across the Combine by Kokogaku ("National Learning") edicts.  He views the extinction of the Tushani xenocrustaceans as a small price to pay for the gleaming glory of Imperial City.

Smith complains that the Combine's reputation has been besmirched by Davion propaganda, and cites the Galahad wargames as proof that the Combine has to endure a constant state of siege.  Per Smith, the Combine's citizens see themselves as stubborn, courageous, and independent people surrounded by hostile outsiders. 

A sidebar notes that House Davion launched GALAHAD '27 in August 3027, engaging in extensive "training and preparedness exercises" primarily along the Combine/Suns border.  Many cross-border raids and other incidents have taken place during GALAHAD.  Addressing Combine protests that House Davion wants to exterminate the Draconian people, Federated Suns representatives noted only that the Third Succession War has not ended.

The Nekekami (Thomas S. Gressman)

Tomo Ochiba, a professor of history at the University of Luthien, provides an in-depth profile of the Nekekami - the "spirit cats" of the Draconis Combine as part of a larger manuscript on the Nekekami he plans to publish later in 3027.  He died of heart failure at age 39, apparently of natural causes, as this article was being published.

In 3026, House Kurita successfully raided the machine tool plant at Cantaba, on Lyons' southern continent, stealing millions of C-bills worth of industrial goods, using intel provided by an infiltrator who penetrated the Rangers' fortress and breached the headquarters vault - a chamber carved from solid rock and guarded by checkpoints and sentry stations.  The infiltrator left behind a calling card - origami of a crouching black cat - the sign of the Nekekami.

The Nekekami is a blanket term for several family clans of professional spies and assassins who have been occasionally employed by House Kurita and other nobles.  Though a small clan, their record of outstanding success in seemingly impossible missions has given rise to an unmatched reputation, as well as rumors that they can make themselves invisible, induce temporary comas to reduce the need for oxygen, and walk through walls.

The detailed information in this profile comes from an interview with a Nekekami informant who died "of natural causes" in his prison cell within hours of granting the interview.

One cannot join the Nekekami - they must be born into the clan, though only a few from each generation are chosen for training as Nekekami warriors at age 10.  From 10-14, they train physically, learn unarmed combat and how to use ancient weapons, and work to solve puzzles and riddles.  They also learn stealth and psychology.  At age 15, they train with projectile, melee and energy weapons, as well as poisons and explosives.  They absorb a philosophy of accomplishing missions with a minimum of bloodshed, teaching "If a Nekekami draws steel, his mission has failed."

The Nekekami prefer to use their bare hands or ancient weapons.  The longbow is a favorite, and all are skilled with the sword, knife, crossbow, and throwing blades.  Though familizarized, the Nekekami regard lasers, missile launchers and flamers as "inelegant." 

They are master poisoners, skilled with ferro-cyanide, strychnine, sodium meta-choline, Eniffian Gremlin Viper venom, and "The Dragon's Tears" - a few drops of which will drive the victim insane.

Though the clan lacks the resources of the ISF, they have demonstrated proficiency with highly sophisticated electronic lockpicks (though C-96 plastic explosive or highly corrosive acid will work for old fashioned mechanical locks).

Climbing claws and grappling hooks help the Nekekami scale seemingly sheer walls, while pulleys, harnesses, and ziplines allow them to cross between buildings.  They are also skilled at HALO drops.  Once inside a target facility, the Nekekami infiltrators have proven adept at memorizing the data they find, without the need for electronic recording devices.

The Nekekami are also skilled at sabotage, such as when they infiltrated an AFFS garrison on Conroe and disabled the leg actuators of the heavy BattleMechs there, leaving them helpless before a Kuritan follow-up attack.  In September 3025, Davion techs on Talcott discovered a shaped charge of plastic explosive molded atop the fuel tank of a jet used by the Council President, which had apparently been put in place two years earlier when the plane was being built. 

Once a mission is complete, the Nekekami are trained in escape and evasion.  Cached equipment helps them swiftly traverse rough terrain, and small anti-personnel mines and other booby traps can be laid to discourage pursuit.

Being captured alive is a Nekekami's greatest disgrace.  Once a Nekekami trainee attains Warrior status, they sever all ties with their family and are, by tradition, considered already dead.  When capture seems imminent, Nekekami commit suicide using fast-acting nerve poisons sewn into their garments.  Some captured unconscious/wounded were later able to use their body control to stop their own hearts.

Nekekami are mercenaries who command high prices.  A single operative may charge 200,000 C-bills per mission.  While they have never been officially connected with the Combine government on Luthien, they have also never hired out to employers outside the Combine.  It is speculated that they are frequently employed in the palace intrigue within the Combine - dispatched by warlords, high-ranking nobles, and other factions to advance their own positions within the Combine's rigid hierarchy.

A Dagger's Death (covered separately as a Short Story)

BattleMechanics - BattleColors (William H. Keith, Jr.)

This article explains how to paint forest camos for a variety of climates, and notes worlds where each scheme would be particularly effective.

Green Woodland Camo #1 - a broken pattern of greens and browns designed to blend in with the leaves and brush - is recommended for the following:

Verthandi - The lowland forest in the Silvan Depression is dense, though the camo would need to be adapted to change the olive to blue-green or dark blue, since the local vegetation has evolved a blue-green chlorophyll analogue.

Tall Trees - Most of Tall Trees land area is covered by deep woods which stretch from sea to sea and nearly pole to pole.  Low gravity allow Xenosequoias to grow to over a kilometer in height, with diameters of over 60 meters.  The high level canopy blocks most of the sunlight before it reaches the ground, making surface vegetation sparse or non-existent. 

Dehgolan - A jungle planet with a hot, fetid atmosphere, settlements are clustered on the shores of its seas to avoid the vicious predators of the Deep Jungle.  BattleMechs are recommended for those who wish to return from an expedition.  Fighting between Combine and Steiner forces in 3015 resulted in 60% casualties as damaged 'Mechs blundered into deep swamps or were destroyed by local wildlife. 

Kesai VI is a desert world, but does have scattered forests and woodlands along the coasts of its small seas.  Though desert camo is most appropriate in general, the garrison at the Shalmirat spaceport uses forest camo because of the surrounding woodlands, where the local chlorophyll variant gives the vegetation a yellow cast. 

BattleMechanics - Technical Readout - Devastator (Dale L. Kemper)

A Star League-era upgrade of the older Demolisher tank, the DVE-5B Devastator "Mech Slayer" still exists in Successor State arsenals and wealthy planetary militias, despite the production run having only made slightly more than 500 before the collapse of the League. 

Upgrades include a 240-rated fusion power plant, a Medium Laser, two Small Lasers and a Flamer for anti-infantry work, and an SRM-4.  Armor and speed remain roughly the same compared to the Demolisher. 

Devastators are employed in planetary defense and open country assaults, but should avoid rough terrain, city fighting, or other areas involving restricted maneuvering.  House Liao organizes its remaining tanks into "Guards of Honor" to lead parades. 

The lack of spare parts is sidelining more and more Demolishers and Devastators, and both designs are likely to become extinct.

BattleMechanics - Combat Salvage - The Wolfman (William H. Keith, Jr.)

Valdis Ullman of the Legion of Vega took heavy damage to his Wolverine in 2986, during the 2nd Battle of Ryerson on Bergman's Planet.  Unwilling to part with his family 'Mech and join the ranks of the Dispossessed, he worked with his Tech, Sharis Brand, to salvage parts from a Davion Rifleman.  With a BattleMaster serving as a scaffold and astechs from a nearby base assisting, they grafted the Rifleman and Wolverine together - a pairing that quickly became known as a Wolfman

The jury rigging resulted in numerous shortcomings (as is typical for a FrankenMech), but it gave Ullman a 'Mech to fight with in rearguard actions at Kestio and Oswald.  When he died in 2988, the Wolfman was assigned to a Legion of Vega training cadre and is, at present, serving in the Labrea planetary militia.

Similar efforts to create the Wolfman configuration have been attempted four more times, but only two are still functional - one in Marik and one in Steiner space.

BattleTech Simulator - Ranged Combat: Maximum Range (William H. Keith, Jr.)

Framed as additional rules for FASA's simulations (FASA being an in-universe publisher of military training tools/games), this is Optional Rules Variant 0102-A: Ranged Combat - Maximum Range.

This article addresses the disparity between the in-game ranges (which often fall short of historical firearm performance) and the maximum potential range of the weapon, explaining that targeting system limitations limit weapons to their "effective range" rather than their "maximum range."  (Which is still not the maximum distance the projectile will travel, but is the maximum distance at which there's even a remote chance of connecting with what you aimed at.)

This leads to the concept of "Extreme Range" - which adds a distance multiplier to be applied to the stock "Long Range" value, and given a +8 target modifier, which can be reduced through taking multiple turns to carefully aim, using sights, etc.  Tables show multipliers to be applied to bows, pistols, and rifles.

The article notes these rules are likely to be used mostly when a sniper is involved in a scenario, such as bounty hunters trying to assassinate a target from a kilometer away.

William Keith does not recommend applying these rules to BattleTech except under very special circumstances.  Given the +8 modifier, snipers will only hit if they are very good, very lucky, or carry very special equipment.   

BattleTech Simulator - MechWarrior Weapons Update (William H. Keith, Jr.)

This table provides new range brackets for Extreme Range and Maximum Range, along with damage fall-off estimates at those ranges.

BattleTech Simulator - Nightshadow (William H. Keith, Jr.) (covered separately as an RPG Encounter)

BattleTech Simulator - Hide and Seek (William H. Keith, Jr.) (covered separately as a Scenario)

BattleTech Simulator - To Save the Dragon (William H. Keith, Jr.) (covered separately as a Scenario)

BattleTech Simulator - Dagger's Edge (William H. Keith, Jr.) (covered separately as a Scenario)

More Than Warriors - Untitled Poem (Thomas S. Gressman)

This poem is presented as rising from the essence of bushido - the way of the warrior. 

The poem tells the tale of the descendant of samurai warriors from Iga, carrying his family's honor among the stars.  The samurai expresses disappointment that there is no glory in battle, a warrior cannot see his foes, and honor dwells in few.  Nonetheless, he rededicates himself to his duty and the service of his lord.

More Than Warriors - DropShip Thunder (William H. Keith, Jr. and Nina Barton)

A marching/drinking song of Combine origins, it tells the tale (in verse) of a planetary assault, shattering the enemy defenders, salvaging parts, and pushing for the victory that will earn them landholds.

A final refrain (added later, per the editor), points out that once they have landholds to defend, they'll be in the position of hopelessly defending those landholds against enemy DropShips thundering in.

More Than Warriors - Haiku (Heather L. Keith)

The BattleMech strides
Across war-molested plains
Arrogant and proud

Notes:

Hiring Hall - Hassid Ricol: The Red Duke (William H. Keith, Jr.)

While now considered apocryphal, the profile of Duke Ricol gave William Keith a chance to flesh out the backstory of his main antagonist in the Gray Death Legion trilogy.  (Though, notably, there's no mention of his activities as "Ruby" in the Black Dragon cabal that tried to assassinate Takashi and install Theodore as Coordinator after marrying him into Rasalhague nobility, so that was apparently kept quiet enough that it stayed off BattleTechnology's radar.)

While not all of the world in the "Duchy of Rodigo" are named (and two of those named - Chekaar and Dahlgren - aren't on the maps), looking at worlds around Rodigo that were Lyran in 2822 and Combine in 3025 (based on the maps of those eras), we can see the best candidates to flesh out the Duchy.  Dahlgren and Chekaar can be assumed to be outpost worlds - hosting small industrial or military facilities, but without recognized civilian governments.  See the attached map - confirmed Ricol holdings (pre-Mercenary's Star) are in yellow, probable holdings are in blue.  The white worlds were all Combine holdings circa 2822, and the article expressly states that the additional 13 (beyond Rodigo) were all Lyran worlds taken since 2997.

The article's reference to a secret project in Marik/Liao space, of course, is a teaser for "The Price of Glory," where Ricol does a heel-face turn and saves Grayson's unit (in exchange for cache booty and a copy of the LosTech data core).

The mention of Antares as the Lyran world that received the call for help suggests that Keith intended "Drune II" to be in the Antares system.  However, the maps show Antares to be about five times as far away from Trell I as Baker VII (which the German translation of "Decision at Thunder Rift" substitutes for Drune II) - making that the more likely location, given the turnaround time shown in the novel.  I wonder how far the FASA crew got into the fiction before they realized they really had to nail down the interstellar geography?

BattleGear - Sidearms - Submachine Guns (William H. Keith, Jr.)

I found it hilarious that Rugan SMGs are listed as being manufactured "under license" on Butte Hold.  I can just see Redjack Ryan signing the contract and handing over the royalties now...

Keith's description of the advantages of caseless ammunition notes that the propellant is completely stable, and can only be fired by its electric detonator, making it immune to "cook offs" when the weapon overheats.  I wonder why they didn't use this propellant in the prototype caseless autocannons from the Tactical Handbook, since those were prone to ammunition explosions.

The Rorynex gun sounds more like a needler than an SMG, given the ammo characteristics.  (A needler with explosive ammo.)

Black Luthien (William H. Keith, Jr.)

The back cover of this issue advertises the House sourcebooks, noting that the House Kurita sourcebook will be available soon.  The Luthien profile, then, offers a preview of the Luthien profile there.  (Keith presumably got advance text to make his entry fit.)

There are still some oddities, however - the map from Jihad Turning Points: Luthien shows Imperial City sitting on the equator, whereas this entry describes it rising out of the steamy polar swamps (the equator being uninhabitable desert). 

It's interesting that Smith claims the promotion of Japanese culture was spontaneously inspired by Imperial City's architecture, since that would seem to discount the leading role that Coordinator Urizen Kurita II played in the Combine's cultural reformation during his 2620-2691 reign.  "Fall Down Seven Times, Get Up Eight" and the prelude chapter in "Far Country" also suggest there was a substantial Japanese cultural influence in the Combine dating back to the Age of War.

The Nekekami (Thomas S. Gressman)

The Nekekami haven't made many appearances outside of BattleTechnology, but they've definitely been adopted into the canon.  Theodore Kurita pretends to be a Nekekami in "Heir to the Dragon," and is sent a potentially lethal warning by the spirit cats.  Thomas Gressman brings them back out of the shadows in the Twilight of the Clans series, where they help apprehend the mole who assassinated Morgan Hasek-Davion, and also infiltrate the Smoke Jaguar command center on Huntress to disable the Clan's planetary defenses. 

BattleTechnology made a running joke of their staff being assassinated and their offices being bombed in the aftermath of this article being published, ostensibly part of a campaign of revenge by the Nekekami - who also appear to have poisoned Professor Ochiba before his manuscript could be published. 

It's interesting to see the different authors' takes on similar material.  Gressman, here, has created a clan of principled ninjas who like to show off (with the origami) and try to avoid killing.  Contrast that to the William Keith's also-Combine-based Saurimat (the death-cult offshoot, at least), which sought to deliver death to as many people as possible.

Interestingly, Helmar Valasek runs an "assassin for hire" business out of Santander V, with his "Santander's Killers" outfit.  Given their position, geographically, the Combine would seem to be his primary (if not only) customer base (unless the farmers of the Elyssian Fields feel like hiring some assassins...)  One wonders how their skill-set matches up against the Nekekami, and what makes a Kurita noble choose a spirit cat over a pirate assassin.

In terms of training, the Nekekami process bears a strong resemblance to the Capellan Warrior House model (though again, the Capellan focus would be less on finesse and origami, more on KILL KILL KILL).

BattleMechanics - BattleColors (William H. Keith, Jr.)

William Keith actually found a way to world-build in a column on how to paint woodland camo.  Again, this comes well ahead of the publication of the House books with the first real planetary write-ups.

BattleMechanics - Technical Readout - Devastator (Dale L. Kemper)

These are the areas where the apocryphal articles start to run headlong into later canon.  When written, all we had on the Demolisher was a silhouette in MW1E and some stats, along with the huge honkin' four-tread miniature that looked like it could eat LTN-G15s and crap THR-1Ls.  The Devastator even canonically found its way into one of the Sorenson's Sabres scenarios.

However, looking at the Master Unit List, we see that the Demolisher was actually a post-Star League tank designed expressly to be a lower-tech option for worlds and factions that lacked the tech and industrial base to support 'Mechs.  Rather than dying out, it's flourishing as 'Mechs get more scarce.

TRO:3039 formally established the Devastator as a canonical variant of the Demolisher, noting it as a third-generation upgrade first fielded in 3003.

Even with the upgrades, I still question the utility of putting this thing out in the open field.  With a maximum effective range of 9 and a movement profile of 3/5, this 80-ton death machine is easy meat for any unit that can both outrun and outrange it (i.e. - anything with LRMs, a Large Laser, most autocannons, etc.).  Close quarters - including cities - is where it shines.

BattleMechanics - Combat Salvage - The Wolfman (William H. Keith, Jr.)

A fun FrankenMech design, it follows on the model set by Shorty Sneede's thingamabob in Snord's Irregulars and the hybrid Hansen's Roughriders Riflehammer (Warman?) shown in MW1E's color plates. 

Looking at the stats, it seems to actually be more effective than the standard Rifleman, being both faster, better armored, and able to use its full arsenal without instantly shutting down.  A superior mobile skirmisher.

The only lore issues are the depiction of the Legion of Vega as having a training cadre.  Assignment to the Legion is punishment for screwing up in another unit.  Nobody enters a training program hoping to get into the Legion.  It's a penal brigade - not much better than the old Chain Gang units.  To boot, current canon has them only formed in 3011, so Valdis Ullman is 25 years too early to be in the Legion.

BattleTech Simulator - Ranged Combat: Maximum Range (William H. Keith, Jr.)

Even early on, it was clear that the ranges on BattleTech weaponry were more suited to Napoleonic clashes than sci-fi/modern technologies.  Of course, if you gave everyone the weapon ranges that they felt approximated reality, the movement rates couldn't keep up, and battles would be resolved by functionally immobile bipedal weapons platforms hurling death at each other from opposite ends of a basketball court festooned with mapsheets.  Personally, I'm fine with playability having taken the lead over realism.

More Than Warriors - Untitled Poem (Thomas S. Gressman)

The Combine military (at least prior to Theodore's reforms) seems to be a huge exercise in setting up impossible expectations and then crushing them, almost as an exercise to see who can handle the mental strain.

Look at the scenes at Theodore's academy in "Heir to the Dragon."  Everyone pays strict attention to having the perfect form.  They are told that they are the best of the best of the best - the ultimate samurai - and the tools of the Coordinator's inevitable victory.  Then they go out on the front lines and find themselves being sacrificed meaninglessly to serve the ambitions of one warlord or another, or getting their teeth kicked in by honorless mercenary scum.

Honestly, the best thing Theodore ever did to bolster the psychological state of mind of his buso-sensei was slapping a kabuto on a Charger and proclaiming it the Hatamoto-class.  Much easier to feel the bushido in such a 'Mech than in a lowly Panther.

More Than Warriors - DropShip Thunder (William H. Keith, Jr. and Nina Barton)

Nina Barton is listed as Associate Editor and Art Director.  She also knew how to put William Keith's verses to music. 

Given the theme of unending warfare, the final refrain seems quite appropriate. 

More Than Warriors - Haiku (Heather L. Keith)

Handbook: House Kurita notes that most of its warriors lack an appreciation for art, and look down on those who practice it.  Minobu Tetsuhara had a different kind of sensei, and felt a samurai could not be truly complete without art (thus the painting and other artistic pursuits).  Thus the saying goes - all samurai serve the Coordinator, but not all who serve the Coordinator are samurai. 

Since the haiku is written from a Combine perspective, I'm not sure if "arrogant and proud," as a descriptor for a 'Mech, is intended to be positive or negative.  I can see some Combine troops who would appreciate arrogance and pride as good traits.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
That's alot interesting stuff Keith put into his magazine.  I wish more of it had become canon.  Wolfman sounded pretty good, but i liked the Nekekami background information the most.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Regarding using a Long Tom to launch a nuclear missile at the landing pad, two things:

1) Huh?

also

2) What?

You can find "Copperhead" systems in Tactical Operations, Maximum Tech, and (I didn't know this until just now) real life.

the fact that it's described as a fission device suggests it's not a standard weapon (those are fusion weapons).

Don't the 3070 nuke rules include radioactivity? I thought BattleTech lore was pretty consistent about the early Succession Wars using radioactive bombs. You'd think this warhead would be useless after so many years, though; maybe Ryan's Rebels found an inert device, and furnished it with new fissile material.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
I was aware of the Copperhead (I later mentioned the Long Tom launched Davy Crockett-M).  The issue was that the device was described explicitly as an ancient fission warhead on top of an ancient missile, launched from a Long Tom.  My incredulity was about fitting an ancient missile (full of ancient rocket fuel?) down the barrel of a Long Tom and having it survive the concussive force of the launch from the barrel intact.

It seemed like the author was merging two distinct and incompatible delivery systems for the warhead (though having the nuclear shell be a gyro jet design could combine ballistic launch with rocket boost, and provide the air burst capability that the Davy Crockett-M Long Tom fusion device munition explicitly lacks).

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Don't the 3070 nuke rules include radioactivity? I thought BattleTech lore was pretty consistent about the early Succession Wars using radioactive bombs. You'd think this warhead would be useless after so many years, though; maybe Ryan's Rebels found an inert device, and furnished it with new fissile material.

The core "physics package" works on battletech's magical protium fusion (fusion through using ordinary hydrogen) which isn't going to decay. A fusion detonation will still irradiate any material caught in the blast, such as the ground in the case of a ground burst, and produce radioactive fallout.

You can also "salt" your bomb with a specialized metallic jacket that will saturate an area with long lived radioactive isotopes to render it toxic for years or centuries as desired, no fission required.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Apologies Mendrugo. Your initial remark seemed to ignore the Arrow IV component of the copperhead delivery system. Your concern about the missile's reliability is clearer in the follow up comment.

I suppose the missile could've been designed to work with Star League Long Toms in the first place, but yeah, it's more likely that it's part of BattleTech's motif of patchwork technology.

Liam's Ghost, thanks for the explanation. Some googling reveals more factors too; something to look into more when I read through the early Succession Wars, I guess.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: October 10, 3027

Title: Warrior: Riposte

Author: Michael A. Stackpole

Type: Novel (Warrior: Riposte – FASA)

Synopsis: Duke Michael Hasek-Davion rages in his private office after receiving a message from his brother-in-law, First Prince Hanse Davion.  The message informs him of the impending nuptials of Hanse and his fiancé – Melissa Arthur Steiner – in August 3028.  Hanse pledges additional military support for the Capellan March once closer cooperation with the Lyran Commonwealth forces the Draconis Combine onto a defensive footing.

Michael wonders how much Hanse knows or suspects about his secret alliance with Maximilian Liao.  He begins crafting a strategy to benefit from the news, and concludes that the anti-FedCom alliance – the Concord of Kapteyn (Combine, League, and Confederation) – will overcome their mutual antagonism and firmly bond into a strong mutual defense alliance once they learn of the wedding.  He decides to leak the information to House Liao and suggest that a joint Marik-Kurita offensive against the Lyrans could crush Hanse’s ally, and give House Liao an opening to reclaim some prize systems from their distracted Marik “allies.”  Michael is confident that he can throw the entire Inner Sphere into another Succession War, from which he can emerge as the First Lord, to rule over the ruins.

He takes a copy of Thelos Auburn’s “Origins of the Three Great Families” and composes a message from the text by referencing page, paragraph, and word numbers, encoding into a device built into his prosthetic hand by Capellan engineers.  He then orders his personal secretary, Agnes, to summon Capellan Ambassador Korigyn to be in his audience room in two hours, intending to transmit the message from his hand to a receiver in the Capellan official’s prosthetic leg.

Notes: Since its profile in the original House Davion sourcebook, New Syrtis has been clearly defined as an arctic world locked in ice, with the capital (Saso) deep in the frozen regions, and the only temperate zone a narrow equatorial belt dominated by mining operations.

So…clearly Michael Stackpole didn’t have an advance draft of that manuscript when he wrote Warrior: Riposte.  From the detail in this text, he seems to have been modeling it on the Arizona deserts where he lived (being a resident of Phoenix).  Michael’s office has white adobe walls (to reflect heat) and an open arch overlooking the New Syrtis Spaceport, where patrolling ‘Mechs kick up thick red clouds of dust from the bright scarlet angular landscape.  Basically, in this early installment, New Syrtis is Sedona, AZ.  This actually tracks with what was shown in the Blackthorne comics, with Michael strolling through lush outdoor gardens adjoining his estate.  Not really an option in Saso, so that would have to be on the equator as well.  The imagery (adobe, red desert lashed by fast moving lighting storms, etc.) matches the “southwestern” aesthetic that the early material tried to give the Capellan March, noting that it cut its PPC grain alcohol shots with tequila.

One possible way to square this scene with all later write-ups is that Duke Michael has an office adjacent to New Syrtis’ primary equatorial spaceport, which is located in an arid region prone to storms.  Since other fiction established that Michael has mansions on worlds in the Draconis March, and even on backwater outposts like Dragon’s Field, I can see him having multiple homes on New Syrtis.  This is probably his winter retreat – when he wants to get away from the bitter cold of Saso.  Unfortunately, this bit of handwavium doesn’t really work, since Agnes tells Michael that the Capellan Ambassador isn’t in the capital at the moment, and will be unlikely to make the meeting in just two hours.  That would imply that Michael, his adobe office, and the red desert spaceport are in the capital – albeit one that looks and feels nothing like the Saso we know.

There’s some cognitive dissonance going on.  Michael has a total freak out in his office, yelling about Hanse, throwing things, and lashing out at the furnishings to the extent that his knuckles start bleeding.  Yet, later, when he is encoding the message by massaging his hand, he notes that any spy observing him would see nothing but him massaging his hand.  He doesn’t seem worried that a spy would have observed his temper tantrum after reading the letter.  Yelling “Damn you, Hanse Davion!” and punching the wooden furniture doesn’t seem like something a person concerned about being observed would do.

When Michael looks out at the distant DropPort, he notes ‘Mechs loading through cargo ports aboard twelve egg-shaped DropShips.  The only DropShips that are properly egg shaped circa 3027 are the Overlord and Excalibur, each capable of hauling roughly a battalion into combat.  So to where, exactly, is Michael transshipping four regiments?  (12 Excaliburs would give them 144 ‘Mech bays, 864 vehicle bays, and infantry bays for four regiments.  Retrofitting some vehicle bays for infantry use would make this fleet capable of transporting a whole Regimental Combat Team minus the aerospace assets, and you could move this group with as little as two JumpShips (though four Invaders would probably be the most common).  The question remains, where is a whole RCT going, and why?  GALAHAD ’27 is over by now, and Hanse intentionally didn’t move the units involved back to their original garrisons.

During his rant, Michael reassures himself of his power by noting that he commands twelve RCTs.   I’m not quite sure where this figure comes from.  Looking at the 3025 deployment tables, we have 13 full RCTs in the Capellan March, technically under Michael’s authority as Field Marshal: 20th Avalon Hussars (New Aragon); 2nd Crucis Lancers (Mira); 6th Crucis Lancers (Moravian); 5th Crucis Lancers (Kathil); 6th Davion Guards (Lee); 7th Crucis Lancers (Weekapaug); 5th Syrtis Fusiliers (Kittery); 6th Syrtis Fusiliers (New Syrtis); Davion Assault Guards (Frazer); 39th Avalon Hussars (Aucara); 15th Deneb Light Cavalry (Verlo); 3rd Ceti Hussars (Immenstadt); and the 8th Syrtis Fusiliers (Avigait).  The reliability rating is their attitude towards Hanse, and only the Kathil CMM, 5th Syrtis Fusiliers, New Syrtis CMM, 6th Syrtis Fusiliers, 1st Capellan Dragoons, Sirdar CMM, 8th Syrtis Fusiliers, and the Warren CMM are rated as Questionable (meaning they may follow Michael if a conflict with Hanse were to develop).  That’s three RCTs, four March Militias, and one independent regiment.  Odd that he’s so confident, especially if he’s dispatching the 6th Syrtis Fusiliers somewhere en masse.  It is probable, however, that the shuffles resulting from GALAHAD ’26 and GALAHAD ’27 ended up leaving only 12 RCTs in the Capellan March.

Michael Stackpole’s earlier work doing the “Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes” sourcebook for another RPG line continues to inform his Warrior Trilogy plotting – with secret devices hidden inside everyone’s prosthetics, and diplomatic offices primarily used to conduct espionage.  Given his surname and apparent love of vodka (getting a once-a-year shipment from the Confederation), Ambassador Korigyn is probably from Tikonov, where the vodka is presumably distilled from the local blue potatoes.  (On the other hand, 'Korigyn' is a Slovakian name, while Tikonov was a Russian colony.  The only world with established to have a Slovakian population is Denebola - on the Lyran/FWL border.)

One final issue is raised – Michael receives the message as a letter printed on paper.  He envisions the Capellan embassy using ComStar to send it via HPG to the Confederation.  I wonder if Michael received his paper copy as a printout from an HPG message to him from Hanse, or if it arrived courtesy of an Intelligence Ministry courier?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Date: October 4, 3027

Title: Dragonslayers on Guard

Author: William H. Keith, Jr.

Type: Scenario (BattleTechnology #0202)

Synopsis: The Draconis Combine invaded Romulus in the second half of 3027, and seized control of the Voltan Reservoir - giving them leverage to control the nearby town (pop. 20,000) of Volta.

The Dragonslayers mercenary unit arrived two weeks after the Kurita invasion as House Steiner's rapid response, and engaged the Kurita forces holding the reservoir.

The defender is elements of the 2nd An Ting Legion (here called the 2nd An Ting Regiment - the An Ting Tigers):  Dragon, Dragon, Rifleman, Dragon, Archer, Wolverine, Panther, Locust

The attacker is elements of the Dragonslayers:  Warhammer, Centurion, Shadow Hawk, Phoenix Hawk, Archer, Rifleman, Valkyrie, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger.

The winning side is the the one in control of the oasis at the end of Turn 20.  Control is defined as having one operational 'Mech within three hexes of the spaces designated as the oasis for three consecutive turns, with no enemy 'Mechs meeting those conditions.

If players prefer, they can score points at a rate of 1 per ton of downed enemy units.  100 bonus points are awarded for control of the oasis at the end of Turn 20.

Notes: Romulus is described as a barren desert world with cold and rugged mountains, vast badlands where local predator species (vagus and shimrin) dominate.  It has an airless twin, Remus, locked into a stable orbit.  Its nearest neighbors are the the Oberon Confederation and the "feudal kinglet of Trell I."  The worlds produce little of value, except for soldiers, which it exports in large numbers.  The Dark Nebula is visible in the night sky.  Volta was targeted due to its location adjacent to salt flats, which serve as one of Romulus' primary DropShip landing sites. 

As with any project involving William H. Keith, you can expect a substantial amount of worldbuilding.  Romulus has never (to my knowledge) gotten a canon writeup, so this may be able to stand the test of time.  The only other depiction of Romulus came from the BattleTech animated series, which made it look temperate, but dry (in the area with the ostrich farm). 

The 20 turn timeframe shows that people had far more time to play out scenarios where the units involved missed a lot and didn't do much damage when they did connect. The introduction of more dangerous advanced weaponry certainly cut down the duration, as 'Mechs generally became more lethal. 

If you're playing for control of the oasis, just trying to maneuver around the edge hoping for three clear turns is a dicey proposition.  Far simpler to simply destroy all the enemy forces. 

The Dragonslayers are more mobile than the Combine, while the An Ting Legion has superior long-range firepower.  For that reason, I'd recommend that the Combine cluster their long-range units behind a screening force of their close-range fighters (to try to block Dragonslayer attempts to overrun).  Once the Dragonslayers start pushing into minimum range brackets, have the long range units fall back while the screeners hold off pursuit. 

I'd recommend that the Dragonslayers use their long-range fire support units from further back, while the swift/jumpy 'Mechs try to cut out any An Ting unit that gets separated, and surround and pummel it into oblivion.  Try to get past the screeners and engage the Dracs at ranges where their LRMs and PPCs will be less effective.  Once they're driven back, you can move someone in to toggle the win-condition for the reservoir.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
When Michael looks out at the distant DropPort, he notes ‘Mechs loading through cargo ports aboard twelve egg-shaped DropShips.  The only DropShips that are properly egg shaped circa 3027 are the Overlord and Excalibur, each capable of hauling roughly a battalion into combat.  So to where, exactly, is Michael transshipping four regiments?  (12 Excaliburs would give them 144 ‘Mech bays, 864 vehicle bays, and infantry bays for four regiments.  Retrofitting some vehicle bays for infantry use would make this fleet capable of transporting a whole Regimental Combat Team minus the aerospace assets, and you could move this group with as little as two JumpShips (though four Invaders would probably be the most common).  The question remains, where is a whole RCT going, and why?  GALAHAD ’27 is over by now, and Hanse intentionally didn’t move the units involved back to their original garrisons.
The 6th Syrtis Fusiliers had New Syrtis as their homeworld, but according to the first volume of the NAIS Atlas of the Fourth Succession War, when Operation RAT started, they'd already been redeployed to Weatogue (p11), so it's likely that what's been narrated here is the 6th in the stages of redeploying, ready for Operation RAT.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo