Author Topic: Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts  (Read 25901 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts
« Reply #90 on: 04 September 2023, 21:24:18 »
where do those two little bits go on the marauder?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #91 on: 04 September 2023, 21:42:02 »
Directly under the knees along the back.  It has a really kind of guide, split at the top and step at the bottom

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: 05 September 2023, 07:34:05 »
Hah, an OG Glaug©™ paintjob !
« Last Edit: 05 September 2023, 07:37:25 by Death_from_above »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #93 on: 05 September 2023, 15:52:29 »
Directly under the knees along the back.  It has a really kind of guide, split at the top and step at the bottom

ah, that's it. thanks. at first i thought they went on the back on the "jet pods" but they were too poor a fit for that to be it.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #94 on: 05 September 2023, 17:17:33 »
also the marauder is now my favorite classic iwm sculpt

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #95 on: 05 September 2023, 17:39:35 »
I should have a picture of the finished magnetized marauder tonight after work.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #96 on: 06 September 2023, 09:48:42 »

Sorry, I meant to have pictures up after GenCon and then was distracted by life and other things that came up. I will add some to the product page soon.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #97 on: 14 December 2023, 21:53:22 »
put together a couple of the wasps and a valkyrie today. valk is five pieces - legs (one piece), arms, torso, and head. arms are on ball joints so they can be positioned in more dynamic ways. the wasps are four parts - legs (one piece), torso, and arms. the weapon sprue has three additional pieces - the two-tube part for ether the srm-2 on the 1A or the dual small lasers on the 1K, the flamer for the 1K, and the MG for the 1D. pretty quick assembly and no serious casting issues.

the one recommendation i might make is if you plan to build the 1K or the 1D, glue the weapon onto the little slanted plane at the bottom of the torso before affixing to the legs. it's not a huge issue if you don't, but it makes life a bit easier.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #98 on: 21 December 2023, 19:00:54 »
So I got my Black Friday order of IWM goodness; some stream-of-conciousness while assembling some of them.

- Lightray. Not the newest sculpt, and a bit weird looking. Only 5 parts - legs & hips on base, torso, two arms, chin turret. The chin turret went on fine - I'm afraid the only bit that did. The waist socket had no relation in size to the ball under the upper torso; ended up having to pin it. And the arms sticking out & up made it hard to fix them in place; did not drill, used blu-tak support to do one at a time. Nice looking overall.

- Gestalt. Four pieces - head, torsos & legs on base, two arms, and the "backpack". The backpack took a lot of widgeling to get into position - it had probably warped a little, but fit well enough when pressure applied. Only problem is, it's very featureless, when the rest of the mini is well detailed. Left arm no problems, right arm with the HPPC - the contact point is a little small for the weight, again used blu-tak to support until set. Overall looks very nice when assembled (from the front ;) )

- Celestials. Man I love these! Lots of bits, but great big contact disks make for easy positioning & firm setting. Have assembled the Grigori & Deva so far. Each has upper torso, lower torso, two legs, head, and then two upper arms, a few choices for lower arms, and multiple bits to fill four bays in the torso (omni done right! :D ) Easy to do one leg to the lower torso, then when set, add the other leg. Did I mention those glorious big contact patches? Did the Deva Invictus out of the blister, and the Grigori Numinous with an left-over HPPC from earlier Celestials. While I would love plastic Celestials, the ease of modding different configs won't be the same, I imagine. Plus lots of left-over missile launchers, the odd gun, hatches, erc. Highly recommended, will buy again ;)

- Toyama. Only flaw in this one is the static pose - the plastics have spoiled me for no-assembly dynamism. Conversion to the 2C easy - replace the LB-X barrel with something beefier, file off the three lasers, leave the ERLLs (which aren't very large) to sub for the MVSPLs. 5 bits - head/torsos/feet/base, two arms, two shields. Good contact patches for all, great looking mini.

- Raptor II - weird looking but I'll go with it. Mainly two pieces - feet/lower torso/waist, in running pose, and body which looks like a small craft. Then there's bits for the two SSRM-6s (hatches going on the torsos) and two ERMLs. These would probably go on well, but I wanted a 2X - two MVSPL, and a 'Mech Taser. So I glued the laser barrels on the dimples in the torso hatches, and used bitz for my taser. The mini came with a weird one medium/one small barrel piece, which I suppose was meant to be the taser, but I went with something more greebly. Arm mounts on this thing? Tucked it under the right wing. Easy to assemble, what it looks like on the tin.

BTW, all look like they'll fit in nicely with the nuplastics!

Still to assemble for this unit - Seraph, Preta, Nexus II.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #99 on: 01 January 2024, 04:50:07 »
Okay, some more.

Lightning (the Thunder bro) - almost ideal. Two lower legs, two upper legs, two arms, lower torso, upper torso, iHGR barrel, and head. Everything goes together well ... except the knees. Bad contact patches - low relief, not great fit. You'd have gone better with simple cylinders like the Hel or Grand Summoner. And beware - one of the feet is skewed forwards, so despite the potential for posing, you're more or less committed to one pose. The head's on a ball joint, but there's not a lot of room for turning it. But looks right.

And if you're looking for something to mod into a less static Thunder, and are prepared to do some sawing & filling, this should do you nicely!

Emperor EMP-1A (the primitive) - gorgeous. It''s my go-to for all Emperors from now on. 5 pieces - right leg & lower torso on a base, posable left leg, torso, two arms. Goes together easily, looks magnificent.

Dola. Two legs (separate feet? Can't recall), lower torso, upper torso, antenna, two arms, two jetpacks, antenna for the head. I question the ball mounts on the jetpacks - all examples seem to show them mounted straight up. I suppose one could experiment, but I didn't. The left arm went on easily, but I had to hack a bit at the inside of the right arm at the shoulder to get it mounted in a good position, as shown in pics on the web.

Lao Hu - it's an old sculpt, and it shows - it's in an old-man shuffle. But it's authentic to the art. Base/feet & legs/lower torso one piece, upper torso, two arms. What it says on the tin, and quite easy to mod if needed.  It's also the first mini I ever dry-brushed, and it's got great details & relief.

Nexus II - what it says on the tin. 3 pieces - body, two arms. Simple, small.

Raven 5X - two feet, two legs, lower torso, upper torso, laser arm, MML pack, TSEMP (I guess?). The ankles are not luxurious contact points, but they work well, and the rest just goes together. For your sneaky ECM needs :)

Lu Wei Bing - two feet, two legs, lower torso, upper torso, optional MML pack open or closed, two arms. Ankles have good contact patches, goes together well. Good details. Unfortunately, is going to look small next to a nuplastic Victor, which it theoretically outweighs. Will probably mount it on a tactical rock to give it some "lift" :)
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #100 on: 11 January 2024, 19:58:31 »
I just picked up a Lightning mech and I have to ask, is there a way to put it together without having to pin the legs?

Because the knees are not going together.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #101 on: 11 January 2024, 20:31:07 »
huh. didn't have that issue.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #102 on: 11 January 2024, 21:09:12 »
Got it assembled.  Required gluing the feet to a hex base, then gluing the knees.

At least it's a good looking mini.  Really puts the old Thunder to shame.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #103 on: 11 January 2024, 22:59:27 »
Schwer has two now, intending to convert one to a Thunder. Should look great!

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 21 January 2024, 18:56:58 »

I do hereby confirm this rumour.

I also confirm that I pinned everything. I managed a few swearwords assembling the legs of the Lighting/Thunder but the hassle was worth it. Such a gorgeous model.
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #105 on: 23 January 2024, 02:50:18 »
Post pics!

Meanwhile ... the Nisos.

Now I'll say the mini is an excellently accurate representation of the art. But I'm not a fan, and unlikely to buy more.

So it comes with six pieces - two turrets (one for SRM6, one for ELRM10 versions), body, tail, front foot, and support cone. Problems:

- The front foot has a poor attachment lug - very shallow, and provides no support while gluing it in place. A simple post & hole would have been superior.

- The tail unit does fit on in place, but it's very loose. Would it have hurt to make the underside of it fit more snugly into the gap in the main body?

- And the dimple into which the support cone is meant to fit is ridiculously small & shallow, and provides no support at all. I ended up drilling out the hole, snipping the point off the support cone, drilling, and fitting wire. The provided connection is likely to break with normal handling.

I'd also comment on the turrets - they're small. They match the art, true. But looking at the new plastics, and the new larger metals, the plasma rifle looks like a small laser, and the 10 tubes on the ERLM plate are cramped & crowded. Okay, too late to go back, but something to consider in future, please?

So very faithful rendition, annoying to assemble.

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #106 on: 29 February 2024, 22:15:18 »
Post pics!
]

The Lightning is a wonderful miniature but I agree with worktroll and MoneyLovingOgre4Hire about the knees. I tried to vary the poses but really struggled.

The separate head and heavy gauss were really useful.
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

Prometheum5

• Sergeant
« Reply #107 on: 29 February 2024, 22:53:00 »
Woah, those are gorgeous. How much work did converting the Thunder take? I haven't grabbed a Lightning yet because I'd probably want to do the same thing!