Author Topic: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)  (Read 45173 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)
« Reply #120 on: 04 February 2018, 04:47:03 »
Just shotgunned seasons 1 and 2, and it's really, really good. It's engaging, it's refreshing, it feels genuinely new the way the sixth Star Trek, the second Battlestar Galactica or the third Stargate series never will.

I like the slightly harder real-world science feel, though interplanetary travel still happens at the speed of the plot and the zero g scenes are a little silly but LOOK HUSH YOU NEVER MIND.

Best of all, I feel like this is one of the few properties to get gritty/grimdark RIGHT. Game of Thrones and its imitators would have you believe that the black hats always win, the white ones lose, or if they do by some miracle not ****** up everything irretrievably, it's by learning how to be arseholes.

But that's just as simplistic as the space operas and fantasies that grimdark has shivved on its way to the throne of popular culture. What the Expanse does is understand that reality is messy, people are messy, and if you want to be really gritty you've got to reflect that.

The characters are screwed up, sometimes trying to do the right thing, not always quite succeeding. Thomas Jane is an early standout as Joe Miller, a crooked cop assigned to track down a rich man's rebellious daughter, who gradually grows a conscience and a cause.

The pacing is a little odd, I'll give you that. The real climax from the first book takes place in the middle of season 2. Season 1 just kind of, like, abruptly ends, a bit like this se

The only genuine downside here is that it's so good, watching this show has kind of spoiled me on Star Trek Discovery, shining a spotlight on how cartoonish ST:D's attempts at seriousness are and how overly-reliant on cheap, unearned twists it is.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #121 on: 04 February 2018, 05:24:14 »
speed of plot in the expanse is somewhat justified though, in that their ships can do multiple g's of constant thrust and routinely use half to 1g of thrust for getting around.. when you can do that travel times for in system tend not to be all that long, as battletech fans know.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #122 on: 04 February 2018, 07:39:12 »
Would that Krypton the Superman prequel ....is that Sci-fi??
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #123 on: 11 April 2018, 15:09:51 »
So tonight's the night. Everyone ready for the new season?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #124 on: 11 April 2018, 16:06:52 »
So ready!

This season should have one of my favourite scenes.  "We need to talk."
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #125 on: 11 April 2018, 17:46:47 »
I thank you for the reminder! That's the only show on SyFy so I've been missing the ads.

Very excited to see it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #126 on: 11 April 2018, 20:14:52 »
Going to be DVRing it instead of waiting until it hits Amazon Prime.

Got to do something to justify still having cable. (Actually I still have cable because I did the math and it wouldn't really save me any money if I switched over to streaming everything with the extra monthly subscriptions I'd have to buy).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #127 on: 11 April 2018, 20:22:50 »
Will have to patiently await for it to arrive on Netflix Australia but I am very much looking forward to it.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #128 on: 12 April 2018, 01:23:48 »
That was a good episode.  Loved how it contrasted the different situations the characters find themselves in - The Roci is temporarily safe but the crew is in turmoil, Bobbie and Avasarala are in danger both inside Mao's yacht as well as from external sources, while Errinwright and Fred manoeuvre around the edges.

And I really like that they've expanded so many characters who only got names and a few lines in the books.  Cotyar has especially been great in how they've rounded him out.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #129 on: 04 May 2018, 19:22:43 »
I'm starting to get disappointed with the writing. The crew in the novels appears a whole lot more intelligent than the TV crew... not falling into simple blunders like allowing the rescued Martians to attempt a take-over. The instant gratification of the first strike on the missile platforms, followed by the launch/detonation was annoying. The super-close range space battles I understand--Hollywood shows 800 meters on land as though it were 80 meters because they want attacker and target visible in the same shot. But rail guns and missiles that fly faster than light? At the very least they could have mentioned that it was going to take a long time for the shots to hit. I'm not a genius by any means and the show REALLY feels dumbed down.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #130 on: 10 May 2018, 20:42:26 »
Just finished watching the episode "Triple Point". Whew...that was an intense one. Things are really starting to ramp up. I think that's been the best episode so far of this season.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #131 on: 11 May 2018, 00:47:59 »
Annnnnd SyFy have just dropped the show.  But Alcon own the rights so they're shopping it around, I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on Netflix, where it's already listed as an Original in most countries.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #132 on: 11 May 2018, 00:59:50 »
Amazon Prime is streaming it in the US.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 11 May 2018, 02:22:54 »
Here's an article explaining it:

https://screenrant.com/expanse-canceled-syfy/

The way I read that, SyFy was only making money on it from the live broadcast, not from any streaming of it, which is why it was canceled, the ratings just weren't high enough.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #134 on: 11 May 2018, 09:03:46 »
Honestly I'm amazed it went to season 3 on syfy.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #135 on: 11 May 2018, 13:32:54 »
This is why I stopped watching ScyFy.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #136 on: 11 May 2018, 14:40:14 »
Here's an article explaining it:

https://screenrant.com/expanse-canceled-syfy/

The way I read that, SyFy was only making money on it from the live broadcast, not from any streaming of it, which is why it was canceled, the ratings just weren't high enough.
In a time when more and more people are going to stream services, why is it that Sy Fy got only first-run linear rights?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #137 on: 11 May 2018, 14:45:41 »
Stupid management?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #138 on: 11 May 2018, 15:22:29 »
Gotta save that money to spend it on looking for ghost's!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #139 on: 12 May 2018, 06:43:05 »
SyFy has been really really disappointing over the last 5 years. I haven't watched a show on it in a long time.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #140 on: 12 May 2018, 07:01:03 »
SyFy has been really really disappointing over the last 5 years. I haven't watched a show on it in a long time.

That's generally what happens when you; a) cheap out, and b) play to the lowest common denominator.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Joskney

• Troubled one...
  • Corporal
  • Lesnovo's Ronin Warrior.
« Reply #141 on: 12 May 2018, 10:49:45 »
SyFy must have realized that "The Expanse" is too Sci Fi for them.
472nd Division (ComStar), 12th Army

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #142 on: 12 May 2018, 11:59:11 »
Maybe it'll end up on a channel/service that will actually allow Avasarala to swear the way she should.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #143 on: 12 May 2018, 12:11:11 »
She has quite the potty mouth on the Amazon Prime streaming version.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #144 on: 12 May 2018, 14:05:36 »
Yeah, they allowed for full swearing during series 2, and it gets bleeped or overdubbed on SyFy, but uncensored on Space in Canada, and on Amazon in the US and Netflix in the rest of the world.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #145 on: 12 May 2018, 14:18:11 »
Yeah, I watch it on Space, but she's still tame compared to the books. Lady curses every other word. Gives her an interesting character.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #146 on: 12 May 2018, 15:07:48 »
Her colorful use of language is what endear her to me.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #147 on: 12 May 2018, 17:09:17 »
Yeah, they allowed for full swearing during series 2, and it gets bleeped or overdubbed on SyFy, but uncensored on Space in Canada, and on Amazon in the US and Netflix in the rest of the world.

Huh, didn't know that. Of course, I bought the season from the Microsoft Store so, no censoring there.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #148 on: 12 May 2018, 17:18:12 »
There is a change.org petition for Netflix to pick up the show.

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-netflix-please-buy-the-rights-to-the-expanse

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #149 on: 16 May 2018, 20:38:31 »
According to Cas Anvar (who plays Alex), SyFy says they may reconsider cancelling the show if the ratings for the rest of the season goes up.

Register