Author Topic: Smoke Jaguar Star  (Read 401 times)

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
Smoke Jaguar Star
« on: 21 March 2024, 21:25:40 »
Here's a Star of Smoke Jaguar Alpha Galaxy 'Mechs I recently completed. I tried to use as many iconic Jaguar 'Mech types as I could. I was also experimenting with a darker shade of grey than my original CI Kickstarter Jaguar scheme, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Smoke Jaguar Star
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2024, 23:27:46 »
Very sharp, looking great!

Walk us through the recipe?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2024, 00:01:15 »
Nice and crisp! :cool:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2024, 11:20:51 »
Very sharp, looking great!

Walk us through the recipe?

Thanks Worktroll! Here are the basics I used:

1. Prime with black primer
2. Basecoat of GW Dawnstone
3. Panel line wash with GW Nuln Oil. Because I'd used a lighter primer for the Ebon Jaguar (I originally planned a different paint scheme for the EJ), I also did an all-over light Nuln Oil Wash on the EJ to darken the shade of grey. YMMV on how dark you prefer the basecoat, so for darker grey additional Nuln Oil washes seem to work.
4. Edge highlight with GW Administratum Grey
5. GW Leadbelcher for the metallic sections and weapon barrels
6. For the spots, I placed irregular dots of GW Administratum Grey, then did an irregular outline with Vallejo Black Grey. Instead of doing a complete circle around the Administratum Grey center, I would paint Vallejo Black Grey around part of a spot's edge, leave a tiny space, then resume. This gave the spots more of an irregular, leopard-spot pattern.
(Technically, I think Jaguar spots should also have a tiny dot of black in the center also. But I tried that and at this scale, it just didn't work for me. Leopard spots it is!) :D
7. Missile tips I did with GW Evil Sunz Scarlet.
8. Cockpit glass I started with a couple of coats of GW Nuln Oil, let dry. Then I added a very thin, watered down coat of Evil Sunz Scarlet near the mid-top, and a very thin line of GW Wild Rider Red at the top of the glass. For some of the 'Mechs I also added a dot of GW Pallid Wych Flesh in the dark area.
8a. Because the EJ was done later and with a few different techniques, for the EJ cockpit I lightly drybrushed GW Evil Sunz Scarlet across the top third of the cockpit using a small makeup brush. I liked the effect, so I may try this more often in future.
9. For beam weapons, I added a dot of GW Pallid Wych Flesh in the center of the barrel, then watered-down beam color around the inner edge of the gun barrel as appropriate. For pulse lasers, I use GW Warpstone Glow green, GW Evil Sunz Scarlet for regular lasers, GW Tesseract Glow technical paint for heavy lasers, and GW Temple Guard Blue for PPCs.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2024, 06:20:23 »
 :smilie_happy_thumbup:

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2024, 09:18:29 »
Looks great! Nice job
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2024, 06:11:53 »
Great looking mechs.  Clean and striking.

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2024, 19:42:26 »
Agree with everyone else that posted - those are some great looking 'Mechs!

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2024, 03:32:36 »
Sweet looking! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Register