Author Topic: Without Question  (Read 386 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Without Question
« on: 16 May 2024, 00:31:24 »
Got it this morning, finished it.  Thought it was a lot better than A Question of Survival, which was really brought down by both Star Colonel Hall (who, quite frankly, came across as being heavily incompetent at nearly everything thanks to his massive losing streak and really not having a valid reason to accept Jiyi's batchall).  And also because Without Question moved out to where it was establishing new events rather than just telling the story of things that had already been printed in Tamar Rising.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
Re: Without Question
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2024, 12:03:18 »
Got it this morning, finished it.  Thought it was a lot better than A Question of Survival, which was really brought down by both Star Colonel Hall (who, quite frankly, came across as being heavily incompetent at nearly everything thanks to his massive losing streak and really not having a valid reason to accept Jiyi's batchall).  And also because Without Question moved out to where it was establishing new events rather than just telling the story of things that had already been printed in Tamar Rising.

I can't tell you how freeing and exciting it was to write events beyond the sourcebooks again.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2024, 15:00:10 »
I also enjoyed the Fox Patrol cameo.  Honesty, I feel like Katie and Star Commander Alexis should be pen pals or something.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2024, 08:11:45 »
Finished it today and quite enjoyed it, enough to give it 5/5 on Goodreads. The Jade Falcons have never quite been my favourite Clan but from Aidan Pryde to Malvina Hazen there's rarely been a dull moment with them, and this novel continued that trend.

Liked both of the main characters and the overall story, even if one of them being blown up by Hasara's treachery and the death of Tomasin were sad moments. Nikita Malthus seizing power and re-instituting Mongol rule had me on edge - thankfully that didn't take. Breaking new ground past Tamar Rising was also welcome, and I'm very curious as to who is in those two DropShips at the end. Hope IKEO has the answer to that one.

Malvina's time at the helm was an interesting (if horrifying) era for the Clan, but IRL the Mongol era needed to end and this book does well at showing us the transition phase to a wiser and better Clan.

Bugsy and the mercs on Antares were an amusing addition, hope to see more of the Lone Wolves.

The re-naming of the state to Jade Falcon Free Zone was a nice touch. Hopefully this and Chistu's other reforms will stick.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2024, 10:52:04 »
Finished it today and quite enjoyed it, enough to give it 5/5 on Goodreads. The Jade Falcons have never quite been my favourite Clan but from Aidan Pryde to Malvina Hazen there's rarely been a dull moment with them, and this novel continued that trend.

Liked both of the main characters and the overall story, even if one of them being blown up by Hasara's treachery and the death of Tomasin were sad moments. Nikita Malthus seizing power and re-instituting Mongol rule had me on edge - thankfully that didn't take. Breaking new ground past Tamar Rising was also welcome, and I'm very curious as to who is in those two DropShips at the end. Hope IKEO has the answer to that one.

Malvina's time at the helm was an interesting (if horrifying) era for the Clan, but IRL the Mongol era needed to end and this book does well at showing us the transition phase to a wiser and better Clan.

Bugsy and the mercs on Antares were an amusing addition, hope to see more of the Lone Wolves.

The re-naming of the state to Jade Falcon Free Zone was a nice touch. Hopefully this and Chistu's other reforms will stick.

I appreciate the kind words and the review. It's amazing how much Amazon and Goodreads reviews help.

I'm glad the tension of that Malthus situation kept you on the edge of your seat. It was a lot of fun to write. But I think you're right. A lot of the point of this is for the Falcons to find their soul and center again after so many years of being unabashedly awful.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2024, 17:37:56 »
A lot of the point of this is for the Falcons to find their soul and center again after so many years of being unabashedly awful.

Jiyi very much comes off like a good person who spent most of his life being taught wrong things. By the time he comes onto the scene, he's been outside that bubble for a while, but you can still see the way some of these things have a hold on him. In a way, a lot of the last section of the book is teaching him that if he can simply fix the problems he sees by decree, that someone else could (and does) come in and do the same to all the progress he makes. I really wanna see what he makes of this lesson and how he reacts when he realizes he's basically setting up the same system the Great Houses use.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2024, 17:40:17 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2024, 16:40:32 »
Jade Falcon Free Zone has a certain ironic humor to it.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2024, 18:50:37 »
Jade Falcon Free Zone has a certain ironic humor to it.

:grin: didn't even think of that, nice pun if it was deliberate.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:18:30 »
:grin: didn't even think of that, nice pun if it was deliberate.

Yep, even I thought it was funny Tonge in cheek

Even though I am still of the opinion that it should be called "Jade Falcon Space" "Clan Jade Falcon Space", Or in the new co-governmental structures "Jade Hegemony"

But the novel was excellent, all hands down, and yes very gripping in and while Jiyi was out of action Actually nearing the end of those tense moments, I was kind of thinking you were going to pull a rabbit out of the hat :cool:

Good direction you have taken us in too, good sir. End wrap up / Epilogue was good too, ranks and Bloodnames too. Finally new cannon too in general

Question though, Why any explosion near his cockpit anyway, could not a fancy pyro technics show be set up, as while he was out of action poor civvies suffered

With a plot hole around Baxter. In the end of NSFV he was going round to nearby planets, as written in WQ, but in the former, he was also broadcasting news about Stephanie and her new Blackwatch, but not in WQ. Is this a cannon correction ? As I am aware that BLP wrote NSFV

So planets we can add to our Space?Morges, Antares, "Jangso city" /A Place?

Looking forward to more :cool:

Bargained Well and Done !
« Last Edit: Today at 03:20:45 by JAMES_PRYDE »

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:10:48 »
Question though, Why any explosion near his cockpit anyway, could not a fancy pyro technics show be set up, as while he was out of action poor civvies suffered

With a plot hole around Baxter. In the end of NSFV he was going round to nearby planets, as written in WQ, but in the former, he was also broadcasting news about Stephanie and her new Blackwatch, but not in WQ. Is this a cannon correction ? As I am aware that BLP wrote NSFV

So planets we can add to our Space?Morges, Antares, "Jangso city" /A Place?

Answers!

Why the Explosion? Hasara says he screwed that up and made the explosive more powerful than they were supposed to. Jiyi wasn't supposed to be out of commission, but it was to let people see her treachery so he could deal with her publicly in a different way. It didn't work out.

As for Baxter's signals, I thought narratively adhering to that wouldn't work and since he's off camera after he leaves, it's not something that anyone needs to worry about on Jerangle. Also, fact check didn't flag it. So, there we go.

And yes, those are part of the Jade Falcon Free Zone now.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:41:55 »
Thanks for the response  :cool:

Generic Clanner 24601

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:39:02 »
I enjoyed it and left a review at Barnes and Nobles since that's where I get my electronic books (and I haven't touched my Amazon account in forever).

I figured Jiyi survived his cockpit explosion. I mean if Malthus survived her ending in her previous book (at least I kept telling myself that), I figured he'd be coming back, but I couldn't figure out how and finished the book as soon as I could. I was pleasantly surprised that Hasara turned out be loyal. I am curious if he also got a Bloodname and what is if he did.

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:53:09 »
I enjoyed it and left a review at Barnes and Nobles since that's where I get my electronic books (and I haven't touched my Amazon account in forever).

I figured Jiyi survived his cockpit explosion. I mean if Malthus survived her ending in her previous book (at least I kept telling myself that), I figured he'd be coming back, but I couldn't figure out how and finished the book as soon as I could. I was pleasantly surprised that Hasara turned out be loyal. I am curious if he also got a Bloodname and what is if he did.

We'll see in the future!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #13 on: Today at 14:48:14 »
I guessed that Jiyi survived primarily based on the assumption that an attempt by the Falcons to go back to Mongol Doctrine wouldn't be allowed both in and out of universe.

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: Today at 16:49:38 »
I guessed that Jiyi survived primarily based on the assumption that an attempt by the Falcons to go back to Mongol Doctrine wouldn't be allowed both in and out of universe.

It would be allowed out of universe. To be sure. I think there might be some misconceptions about how the last big story summit went, but everything and anything was on the table and we hashed out everything so we could point the universe in the best direction as we saw it. So, anything could have happened and it would have been given the go ahead if it were the best idea.

Register