Author Topic: Sore Thumbs III: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?  (Read 10379 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Sore Thumbs III: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?
« Reply #30 on: 05 November 2023, 11:47:48 »
It's a rarity in today's video game market: a game that was given a leisurely development cycle with a team that was passionate about the project and allowed to work on getting it right initially instead of being forced to work on a tight deadline to get out for the Christmas rush with tons of microtransactions crammed into it for extra monetization.

The sheer depth of details in the game is amazing- there are tons of dialog options that are dependent on your race, class, and background.  If you're playing a wizard, you have the option to go into full fanboy/fangirl mode upon meeting Elminster.  Playing a paladin lets you invoke your oath to bypass some charisma checks in order to get NPCs to trust you.  A Duergar, Drow, or Deep Gnome gets special dialog about going into the Underdark.  The hardest difficulty mode, Tactician, doesn't make enemies stronger of tougher, it makes them smarter.  You can easily put 150 hours into a single playthrough and still not find everything there is in the game.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #31 on: 05 November 2023, 13:40:23 »
This is something that Swen/Larian has pursued intentionally from the start. It comes from a place of wanting to make the best damned RPG come hell or high water, not to build a business. Both are honorable pursuits and there's a lot to be said about the sustainability of the latter. We learned in our aviation small business coursework that you really do need to be a plane nut second and businessperson first to make an airport FBO survive (and even then...). But sometimes circumstances align through a combination of long hard work and luck to build both a surviving business and a great game and that's what Larian has done.

I don't think they would have been in this position if it weren't for Kickstarter. They leveraged their reputation through three really good middle-tier RPGs (Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity II) and created Original Sin I and II and the latter gave them the credibility they needed to get the coveted Baldur's Gate license. And they ran away with it because they'd learned so many lessons from those first five games. Things about quest design and 3D perspective in DII, deep story and interface from DD, how to kill your babies (namely the day, night cycle) and sustaining your story till the end from D:OS I. It's all been building up to this point and will be a top 25 historical classic.

And I say all that as a die-hard Ultima VII fan. I loved the gameplay, interface, and combat. But I know an RPG couldn't thrive in a modern market using those dated design choices, as much as I love them. I'm content to have something like Skyrim which gets the closest to that sort of experimental, functioning world that I remember.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2023, 13:42:06 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #32 on: 05 November 2023, 13:53:25 »
It's not hyperbole to call it one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

i do not want to hear this i do not want to get sucked into this black hole lol

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 05 November 2023, 14:17:18 »
i do not want to hear this i do not want to get sucked into this black hole lol
too late...the avalanche has started...its too late for pebbles to vote

just enjoy the suffering like the rest of us
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #34 on: 06 November 2023, 09:23:26 »
You can easily put 150 hours into a single playthrough and still not find everything there is in the game.

Oh do I know that. I am into Act III (took a break to other things), but there are things in Act I and Act II I only found out about by watching the odd video that mentioned places I had not even GLIMPSED!.

Multiple play throughs, o yeah, the game has it!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #35 on: 10 November 2023, 17:10:03 »
Over the course of a couple days, a couple of friends and I went through a Civilization: Beyond Earth – Rising Tide playthrough. 3v5 bots match. One friend pursued the Harmony affinity, the other aimed for Supremacy, so I took the hybrid affinity of the two more often than not.

We were originally pursuing a Transcendence victory, but after taking too many capitals in defensive wars against the bots, we decided to get the Domination victory instead. Was fun, honestly. I don’t think I’ve cleared a Civilization since Revolution for Xbox 360.

I was ARC, my friends were the Slavic Union and Franco-Iberia. By any measure, I had the most effective spies on my team, though I seldom told them what I was doing. Slavic Union’s spy network floundered, while the Franco-Iberians had a relatively decent run with theirs. lol
« Last Edit: 10 November 2023, 17:12:18 by Akamia »
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 13 November 2023, 03:24:16 »
Played Silica recently. A combination FPS and RTS game, one player plays the commander of a given faction, while units, which otherwise behave like normal RTS units, are allowed to be commandeered by the said commander or by other players assuming direct control as part of the commander's team.

I like what it's putting down, but it needs a lot of work. Unit pathing is the worst I've seen in an RTS since LEGO Battles for Nintendo DS; honestly, it's probably even worse than that. Too many times, I needed to micromanage my army around obstacles that in any other RTS game they could navigate around just fine; in cases where they got stuck, I had to control them directly in FPS mode to unstick them, and sometimes even that wasn't possible, or took way too long that nothing worthwhile got done for nearly a full minute, which is devastating in an RTS game.

Had fun with it, though, mostly because I was playing with friends against bot-controlled enemies.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 13 November 2023, 08:56:58 »
About 2/3  to 3/4 of the way through ALAN WAKE 2 - pretty awesome game!

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 13 November 2023, 09:56:02 »
Anyone playing RoboCop: Rogue City? Hype? Or actually decent?   

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 15 November 2023, 09:31:32 »
microcivilization
still in early access but it seems to have solid bones to build on so far
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: What are you playing now?
« Reply #40 on: 17 November 2023, 11:51:30 »
I've actually been revisiting Dishonored 2. Playing as Corvo which I've not done before as I found the different powers of Emily more fun on the first pass.

Actually playing the whole series beginning to end having polished off my seventh or eighth replays of W3, Days Gone, and HZD.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 18 November 2023, 04:00:46 »
Steam currently has the original Half-Life game on sale for over 90% off, and the Half-Life 2 games are 86%-90% off:
Half-Life
Half-Life 1 Source
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 - Episode 1
Half-Life 2 - Episode 2
Half-Life - Opposing Force
Half-Life Blue Shift

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 18 November 2023, 12:11:03 »
I've been playing Star Ocean 2 and Super Mario RPG on the Switch. On the Steams I've been going through Kingdoms of Amalur and Fallout 4 (mostly research for my tabletop group going through the Modiphius game).
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 21 November 2023, 09:00:35 »
ok microcivilization was fun but too repetitive so it got old fast
i just found stellar tactics still in development but it feels like almost as its finished. game is sort of like x com mixed with final fantasy 7 for ps 1 had a baby and its good

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #44 on: 21 November 2023, 09:15:35 »
Finished ALAN WAKE II - Awesome game - love the Remedy Surrealism!

Now I am onto my Re-playthrough of CYBERPUNK 2077. With all the changes etc to how the game worked, I figured best to just start all over play from the begining.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 21 November 2023, 13:47:21 »
I am two thirds complete with Civilization: Beyond Earth. Don't know why I decided to be a completionist for this game, but the objectives seemed within my reach, and those that aren't, I have friends willing to assist as time permits.

Amusingly, there's one achievement I need that I may have actually become literally too good at the game to unlock by playing against bots. Gotta get beaten to 10 wonders, and to date I've only been beaten to 2; I'm pretty sure both of those were from my very earliest attempts at playing, where I was on my own and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I think I can get a friend to help with this one; go onto a Duel map or whatever, tech as quickly as possible without building wonders, communicate with the friend about which wonders they're building, then let them get them ahead of me as I queue up the same wonders. Effectively, challenge my friend to a wonder race and throw it.

Gonna be heading back into it tonight after work, after checking out my loyalty ’Mechs in MWO, since the patch will probably have released by the time I get home; I'm specifically interested in the Wolfhound IIC. Gonna camospec it as close to the BattleTech: Legends art as I can. lol
« Last Edit: 21 November 2023, 13:50:22 by Akamia »

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 28 November 2023, 01:37:57 »
Ten achievements away from 100% completion in Civilization: Beyond Earth now. Gotta clear it with four more of the playable factions, get beaten to 8 more wonders, build all the artifact wonders in the game, complete all the marvel quests, beat the game on maximum difficulty… Oh, and buy a bunch of tiles with energy. That’s going to take some doing. lol

Also, I got Pizza Tower. Gonna be looking forward to trying to complete that too.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #47 on: 28 November 2023, 02:47:46 »
the mario rpg remaster. delightful in every way.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 28 November 2023, 10:25:31 »
Been trying Persona 5 Tactica.

It's mostly fun, though I do dislike that it lacks the non-combat stuff of the original game or Strikers.  And setting up the new All Out Attack, Triple Threat, is annoyingly difficult outside of the tutorial zones.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #49 on: 29 November 2023, 03:46:22 »
Heads Will Roll: Reforged, an ''authentic medieval dating simulator''  :grin:
Ignore waifus, focus on roguelite hacking up the enemies, while raging at RNG and laughing at story.

And remember, it's better to be a live coward than a dead hero.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2023, 06:54:23 by PsihoKekec »
Shoot first, laugh later.

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #50 on: 03 December 2023, 21:00:34 »
Just revisited Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins via Switch Gameboy catalogue.  I do remember the time as a kid that I Manage to make it to Wario's castle but I ending up dying a lot in the booby trapped room with the fists going up and down pounding the floor.  That part frustrated me.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 04 December 2023, 03:03:03 »
That's a really great example of how Nintendo learned to manage the limitations of the medium and make a great gameplay experience. The first SMB Land title was just really weak, almost worthy of a TI-83 game. 6 Golden Coins was a proper game.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #52 on: 04 December 2023, 12:55:38 »
Super Mario Land was a launch title for the game boy so it should be regarded as an expensive tech demo. Development probably started in 1987. For context, that team would have pushed out Metroid and Kid Icarus the previous year.  Mario Land 2 was post-super famicom so the dev tools would have been like moving from a washboard to industrial washing machine.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #53 on: 04 December 2023, 15:31:30 »
been playing the new "Star Trek Infinite" game. it is a lot less like Stellaris than people assumed at first, though you can definately see that said game served as a core skeleton for it.

while i haven't progressed past the initial tutorial mode game session (want to run through it till 'victory' date just to see how it goes.. though honestly there isn't much challenge at this point since at tutorial settings, it was really easy to build the federation into a powerhouse and outpace all the others.)

general impressions though.. i feel like there is a gameplay vs aesthetic vs narrative disconnect in it, and it is something thay can't really address without major reworks.

because you start the game with a fairly tiny federation that has little more than the 4 core members and a few of the surrounding systems. you are expected to expand this, discover your neighbors like the betazoids, the Acamarians, the hypurians, the Trill, Bajor, etc.. and then using diplomacy or conquest (depending on how you play, you can actually take the 'section 31' route to things) incorporate those into your nation.

all well and good. core stellaris tyle 4x gameplay there. actually has an improvement over stellaris, since you can use diplomacy to intergrate NPC powers more directly, rather than having to go the convoluted route of creating client states first. and the incorporation of logistical concerns makes you have to think more about deploying your fleets (only science ships and 'hero ships' like the enterprise D can go anywhere). it makes for a good balance given they got rid of stellaris's hyperlanes.

the disconnect is two fold..

first, the timeline feels weird. because as i said, you have a tiny federation, one that matches say, the late 22nd century, right after the romulan war and at the birth of the federation. yet the narrative timeline is that it is right after the Khitomer massacre, in the early 24th century, long after most of the minor powers on the map are supposed to have already joined the federation. further, the units you build are anachronistic. your basic corvette type ship is a Miranda variant, sure. and your cruiser is a Excelsior.. but your Destroyer type, which you pick up very early? the Intrepid class. which feels very out of place. you actually get the intrepids before you get the Enterprise D and Galaxy class. which is just weird. i feel like they should have picked a different class for that destroyer role. Constellation class maybe?

making it weirder, the technologies just don't feel right either. despite taking place (narratively) just prior to TNG era wise, you don;t actualyl start with any of the classic technologies. you don't have photon torpedoes, you have "plasma charges", you don't have phasers, you have "particle beams". at least in the ship construction side, it feels more like the early federation/ENT era that the map does. the fact you have to do a ton of research to get phasers and photon torpedoes is another disconnect from the narrative setting. though the planetary side of things feels more TNG at least, when it comes to tech and upgrade naming.

and as you play you get more and more narrative dissonance.. you have random events with references to ships going to the gamma quadrant not long after the khitomer narrative event.. despite the fact that there is no bajoran wormhole. like wise you get a whole chain of borg related events, including janeway showing up.. yet at no point is there any build up for such, like mention of a ship going missing.

and so on. i feel like it suffered some mid-development detours.. like it probably was being envisioned originally as using an ENT/TOS era framing, but then someone decided "no we need to have picard and janeway and sisko" and thus we ended up with a veneer of TNG ship models, some TNG namedrop events, and some half hearted renaming of the planet management options.

i can only hope that updates fix some of this, either through fixing the weird anachronisms of the map, ship models, and tech tree, or through the addition of 'era variants' for ENT/TOS visuals and alternate event chains that better fit the feel.

don't get me wrong, it's fun to play, and if you like stellaris style grand strategy, it'll probably be ebjoyable to you. but as a trek fan, some of the decisions they made are really baffling.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2023, 15:59:36 by glitterboy2098 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 04 December 2023, 16:29:25 »
Super Mario Land was a launch title for the game boy so it should be regarded as an expensive tech demo. Development probably started in 1987. For context, that team would have pushed out Metroid and Kid Icarus the previous year.  Mario Land 2 was post-super famicom so the dev tools would have been like moving from a washboard to industrial washing machine.

I remember as a kid being weirded out by just how different Super Mario Land was from the NES Super Mario games.  It felt even less like Mario than Super Mario 2 (which was a reskinned version of a completely unrelated game).

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 04 December 2023, 19:25:52 »
ok speaking of super mario bros...i bet if any of us played it today either in arcade or on nintendo we would die many times before we reached world 2 - 1 or even remember where the 2 warp zones were

btw used the nintendo original hardware and tmnt to punish my kids...
omagine being a gamer and being tortured by a game so hard to beat you want to swear off games

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 05 December 2023, 00:19:24 »
I think the skills and timing come back pretty quick. I'd have trouble on an arcade stick, though. I've just never gotten used to the kind of throw and force a joystick needs.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 05 December 2023, 00:28:24 »
IIRC, modern emulations of games from that era have a bit of lag compared to the original cartridges.  It's supposedly one of the reasons that retro gamers try to avoid emulations.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 05 December 2023, 00:36:36 »
IIRC, modern emulations of games from that era have a bit of lag compared to the original cartridges.  It's supposedly one of the reasons that retro gamers try to avoid emulations.

It depends on the emulation. There's multiple ways to go about dealing with playing those games, but only replicating the hardware in software would replicate the frame-by-frame timing needed to actually execute the sorts of moves needed by speed runners. This, of course, means you need powerful enough hardware to run the emulated machine at full speed.

The corollary to that is that companies like Analogue make FPGA equipment that also replicate hardware and do the best job of running your old cartridges accurately.

I do both. Sometimes I want total fidelity. Other times I don't mind going through Super Mario World with a bluetooth 8bitdo controller. It depends on the mood and purpose.

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #59 on: 08 December 2023, 19:12:02 »
made some progress in Metroid Prime Remastered, manage to defeat the giant Sheegoth and got the wave beam.

What I did is get slightly close to it, before it breathes ice on me, I did a double strafe jump after it stop breathing ice, I strafe jumped back to the front and fired missiles at its mouth.  Rinse and repeat
« Last Edit: 09 December 2023, 00:28:18 by Sapphirus »

Register