Author Topic: The Dragon's Lair  (Read 187431 times)

bobthecoward

• Captain
Re: The Dragon's Lair
« Reply #1170 on: 12 August 2021, 08:09:10 »
Why did the people of the rasalhague planets dislike the Combine so much when the coordinator was Rasalhague nobility? Rasalhague nobility ruled the Combine for 500 years

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1171 on: 12 August 2021, 17:35:51 »
Because, space Vikings supposedly do not fit with James Bond Evil-level space samurai.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #1172 on: 21 September 2022, 15:25:06 »
Wow, this thread has died.

Where are all the Samurai at?

So I have a question for the DC Fans.

I don't own FM:DC but I'm wondering about Conventional Forces for the DC.

Specifically, these Combat Orgs.

Sword of Light
Ryuken
Dieron Regulars

I'm wondering which of the 3 are larger users of attached Vees/Infantry/ASF.

Basically I'm just deciding what scheme to paint up my Combine NON-Mech forces.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #1173 on: 21 September 2022, 15:32:23 »
AFAIK most (all?) DCMS formations attach conventional forces more on an ad-hoc base and don't integrate them into the parent formations (at least pre-Dark Age). I think the Ryuken are an exception to that.
Jude Melancon lives!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1174 on: 21 September 2022, 16:01:17 »
Sword Of Light specifically doesnt have permanently attached support elements, aside from the 2nd.

Ryuken regiments do have permanently attatched combined arms support.

The Dieron Regulars also seem to have attatched support.

The Sarna Military Commands Page shows all kinds of unit breakdowns by year, with sources. Its my first look, and then I go into the sources if I have them
« Last Edit: 21 September 2022, 16:09:11 by Kerfuffin(925) »
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1175 on: 21 September 2022, 23:16:48 »
Why did the people of the rasalhague planets dislike the Combine so much when the coordinator was Rasalhague nobility? Rasalhague nobility ruled the Combine for 500 years

that doesn't mean they're going to support the central government
« Last Edit: 21 September 2022, 23:21:19 by BrianDavion »
The Suns will shine again

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #1176 on: 22 September 2022, 01:20:39 »
In the earlier books, the 'Mech units were noted as working in isolation from the other forces as they considered them beneath them. So in the early period truly mixed units might have been a true rarity, actually. As said the 2nd SOL is noted for its support elements (but is an exception that proves the rule). The Ryuken, however, are built on the Wolf's Dragoons combined arms model and represent a new (and successful) way of doing things. This then has an opportunity to spread around with Theodore's renovations and I don't think it's that rare for modern Kurita units to be combined arms or at least work closely with attached support elements. 

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1177 on: 22 September 2022, 02:03:58 »
I’m looking at the CM:Kurita now.

SoL only have aero as listed support. The blurb on the all but the 2ndmentions conventional support is as needed. There is no mention of permanently attached in the ToE, only the blurb for the 2nd. I would assume it is drawn locally (which would only make them look down further on them, as local militas are not often well trained). Plus their roving, quick response nature makes it hard to keep vees around.

All the Dieron Regular regiments are listed with armor and infantry support along with aeros. The armored and/or infantry segments are mentioned in the blurbs, lending credence to the idea they are permanently attached. As kinda garrison/trooper regiments this makes sense.

The Ryuken as noted took the combined arms idea from the Dragoons. Their blurbs and ToEs both have armor/infantry/aero listed.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #1178 on: 22 September 2022, 22:01:18 »
Thanks all!

So big red tanks is a no-go for sure.

Which is fine by me, since I'm not actually a fan of that scheme.

Probably go Ryuken since the Dieron parade scheme is far too much like C* for me.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1179 on: 23 September 2022, 00:04:29 »
My Drac unit is Ryuken-roku also.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #1180 on: 23 September 2022, 00:45:38 »
My Drac unit is Ryuken-roku also.

Oh for my whole "painting project" there are several lances.

SoL
Dir Reg
Ben Reg
Ryuken-Ni
SZ Academy Cadre

With more than 2 regiments of mechs, I have a project give each house a full company of mechs in 1 scheme & then several other lances.
And the Company will also get any other Conventional assets as well.
I just hadn't figured out who my DC "Company" will be.

Fitting if it's Ryuken as that was the first DC Lance I ever did many eons ago.
So now I'm thinking I'll add to it & make it the main unit of my DC minis.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1181 on: 23 September 2022, 11:07:37 »

Because the Combine ruthlessly repressed them like they do damn near everyone they conquer? Is this a trick question?!
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1182 on: 27 December 2022, 07:27:10 »
Because the Combine ruthlessly repressed them like they do damn near everyone they conquer? Is this a trick question?!

Makes you wonder if they should have treated Rasalhague like the Azami, might have led to a better outcome.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1183 on: 27 December 2022, 07:53:23 »
Makes you wonder if they should have treated Rasalhague like the Azami, might have led to a better outcome.

Interesting that the Azami have more autonomy then the Rasalhaguerians despite the fact that the Azami have a way smaller part of the Combine. Or it was more the fact that the worlds of the now Rasalhague Republic / Dominion are more valuable then the Azami worlds

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #1184 on: 27 December 2022, 08:39:06 »

Have you ever checked out just how big the Principality of Rasalhague was when the Combine vassaled em? "Rasalhague" expanded massively under the governorship of the Draconis Combine. When Martin McAllister came crawling to Blaine Sorenson in 2494 the, the Sorenson went full in supporting the Kuritas despite killing cadet branches fifty years before. After that Rasalhague was considered such a core part of the Combine that it provided spouses for Coordinators and was central to court intrigue.

All of which is to say, Rasalhague's relationship with the Combine is complicated. For every uprising there was corresponding wealth and power. There are times the lady protests too much.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1185 on: 27 December 2022, 18:19:43 »
If you think you're oppressed thats all that matters, Rassalhuage would hardly be the first large minority region that recrived arguably preferential treatment, that decides they;re oppressed.
The Suns will shine again

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1186 on: 27 December 2022, 18:57:11 »
If you think you're oppressed thats all that matters, Rassalhuage would hardly be the first large minority region that recrived arguably preferential treatment, that decides they;re oppressed.

I didn't realize that "receiving arguably preferential treatment" and "being oppressed by a larger majority" were mutually exclusive. It's like saying that it's okay to keep slaves as long as you treat them better than everyone else that keeps slaves. Ridiculous. This entire statement reads like a Breitbart comment.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1187 on: 31 August 2023, 05:46:03 »
Sorry for necroing this thread but does anyone know what happened to Katana Tormark? Era report 3145 has her locked up on Luthien (at least that was the assumption from Republic intelligence). Do you think she might still be alive? Or was she as the book suggest quietly executed? And if she is alive you think she might get a return? Perhaps sending her on a suicide mission to "regain her honor"? Then again Yori probably doesn't want to elevate someone who was actively waging war against her again to any position of influence.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1188 on: 31 August 2023, 09:06:02 »
I haven’t read much about Yori, so I won’t be surprised if I have this wrong:

Given the combine, I’m inclined to say interrogated until she had nothing left, then dumped in unmarked grave. That fits that Yori Kurita seems to prefer her enemies dead in a way that stops the next fight before it occurs. The concerns about Katana becoming a martyr seem on point, so a quiet permanent solution feels in order.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1189 on: 11 November 2023, 12:04:43 »
If Yori's smart she's in an unmarked grave somewhere on Luthien, if not it wouldn't surprise me if she ended up leading the Legion of Vega (or at least a regiment of it) at some point given they are back to being the dumping ground for the DCMS.

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1190 on: 22 March 2024, 09:55:23 »
Looks like I'm necro-ing this thread after it's been dormant for months.

I was reading an article which mentioned the Sanshu no Jingi/Mikusa no Kamudakara/Imperial Regalia of Japan and how important it was as a symbol of the ruling line's authority and lineage from Amaterasu, the sun goddess.

So... did the Kuritas (avid cosplayers that they were) ever consider trying to get their hands on the three sacred items, and get the blood of Amaterasu (some female scion of the Japanese Emperor) into their own House?

Heck, does the Japanese Royal Family still exist at all after the Exodus era?

All these can make for an intriguing RPG adventure. Throw in Nova Cats, Goliath Scorpions, Comstar, Word of Blake, and it can be a rollicking saga for the ages!

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1191 on: 23 March 2024, 06:02:56 »
Heck, does the Japanese Royal Family still exist at all after the Exodus era?

All these can make for an intriguing RPG adventure. Throw in Nova Cats, Goliath Scorpions, Comstar, Word of Blake, and it can be a rollicking saga for the ages!

The Royal family of Japan should have been alive when the Exodus happened. While amaris forces took them hostage to ensure a means of escape the SLDf didn't budge. According to Vol 2 of the Battle for Terra book the 19 year old daughter of the then current head was killed but the rest of the family was saved by the SLDF. Of course what happened then is anyones guess. I would bet that the royal family of Japan still lived when the Republic took over unless told otherwise. And not to forget the Clans didn't conquer Japan.

The Wobbly Guy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1192 on: 23 March 2024, 11:56:26 »
According to Vol 2 of the Battle for Terra book the 19 year old daughter of the then current head was killed but the rest of the family was saved by the SLDF.

Hmm... the book stated 'Duke Naruhito, the noble leader of the Japanese District'. Would the Japanese Royals have willingly demoted their status down to Dukes in the face of the Director-General Camerons?

I also wonder if the Kuritas ever tried to bring in Japanese imperial blood into their own House, particularly during the Star League era when it was presumably easier to do so.

And, it would also add further legitimacy to their own status, because new money also sought out old money for the affirmation of status it brings.

Finally, the regalia themselves... did the Kuritas ever consider taking them?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1193 on: 23 March 2024, 14:29:36 »
Would it add legitimacy for the Kuritas? Would the Kuritas even care about the old imperial family? They aren't claiming to be descended from them, and most nobility in the Inner Sphere has a marked disinterest in pre-spaceflight Terra. At best, I can see them collecting those things as quaint trinkets/antiques, but I don't think they'd have any importance to them beyond that.