Author Topic: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread  (Read 63418 times)

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Re: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread
« Reply #30 on: 06 July 2023, 13:24:42 »
Clan wolf under Alaric's control has never engaged in such tactics, hell he leaves civilian population alone as long as they support the Clan as their directed.  Most of the Wolf Empire is largely capitalism drive economy vs communism. So it's been a hybrid sort of economy, because Alaric was trained by his mother AKA Katherine Steiner davion

As long as Tucker can blanket Terra's net with the message that the Wolves invited the Falcons to Terra Alaric will be painted with the same brush of "Clans are fascists murderers and barbarians" which might make the Liao's the lesser of to evils (shocking I know) Though since we are in the IlClan period this will never happen.

The more interesting question is how will Alaric control the entire Terran system. Let's not forget, Luna and Mars have rather large populations and we also have the Belters. The Wolves should not have the manpower to effectively garrison the entire system with their 29 clusters left. This almost feels like the after Jihad wolf OZ with the wolves holding the capitals and not much else of some planets

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #31 on: 06 July 2023, 13:26:49 »
He was a Burrock, frankly I'm surprised they didn't just dome him like they did the rest of them. Not like they need an excuse.

He was sent to the Prinz Eugen (and subsequently escaped) well before the Burrocks were Absorbed.

Though since we are in the IlClan period this will never happen.

It's way too early to be making blanket statements like this. We have no idea what's going to happen at this point.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 06 July 2023, 17:23:20 »

It's way too early to be making blanket statements like this. We have no idea what's going to happen at this point.

Fair point. Though you don't declare Ilclan to have it die shortly after that as funny as that would be.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 06 July 2023, 17:42:09 »
As long as Tucker can blanket Terra's net with the message that the Wolves invited the Falcons to Terra Alaric will be painted with the same brush of "Clans are fascists murderers and barbarians" which might make the Liao's the lesser of to evils (shocking I know) Though since we are in the IlClan period this will never happen.

The more interesting question is how will Alaric control the entire Terran system. Let's not forget, Luna and Mars have rather large populations and we also have the Belters. The Wolves should not have the manpower to effectively garrison the entire system with their 29 clusters left. This almost feels like the after Jihad wolf OZ with the wolves holding the capitals and not much else of some planets

people expecting Tucker to be some sort of anti-Alaric Deus Ex Machina need to ask themselves the question "With what resources" Tucker is just some guy, sure he's got access to some info of stone's but unless stone laid plans for a insurgancy in case he lost, Tucker might not have a lot save some inconveniant facts, that might not be relevant anyway.
The Suns will shine again

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #34 on: 06 July 2023, 17:52:49 »
Fair point. Though you don't declare Ilclan to have it die shortly after that as funny as that would be.

You might be conflating "ilClan" with "Alaric's new Star League". The Wolves will always be ilClan, even if they lose Terra in the next book and the new Star League never happens.

Though I happen to agree that this is just the beginning of things. I just think it's too soon for anyone to assume what's going to happen, because this is the first truly uncharted territory BattleTech has had in ages. It's exciting.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2023, 18:00:56 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 06 July 2023, 18:10:21 »
also Era length is something that varies.

looking at the various Era's of Battletech, the Sucession Wars era was, practically speaking, 3025 to 3049 (before anyone comes in with "well actually" I'm noting battletech effectively started in 3025 and backfilled)
Clan invasion was 3050 to 3062

FCCW was 3062 to 3067 (marking the shortest era in battletech)
the Jihad was 3067 to 3085.
The Republic was 3085 to 3130.
With the Dark Age being from 3130-3050.

Now, the Republic era and the sucession wars eras. are notably defined by a generational time jump so may be worth noting that, with that in mind an era in battletech is often not THAT long at all.
I don't think the fedcom civil war is going to lsoe the crown for short era anytime soon though, but I suspect the ilclan era will be shorter then the dark age era.

Typically an era in battletech is defined by a major conflict, and is brought about by that conflcit ending or becoming irrelevant.

the clan invasion saw the smoke jags annialated and the clan invasion being "brought to an end" the fedcom civil war well.. obvious,
the Jihad yet again obvious, the dark age era was defined by the fall of the republic.

right now the ilclan era, IMHO hasn;t even seen it's defining conflict START
« Last Edit: 06 July 2023, 18:12:18 by BrianDavion »
The Suns will shine again

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 06 July 2023, 20:23:38 »
I wonder who is going write big next story for the universe.  Hour of the Wolf novel did change couple things of the story, frankly it was hoped universe would get back to story driven plots for the Universe.   I have say while I didn't like every thing (okay alot of things) in HotW, i did like idea of the story in driver seat, guiding things along.

Question is the universe is now holding it's breath again, as we wait for the next shoe to drop.  Such as the iKhan's eyes only plot book will reveal, frankly we can get on with the Capellan invasion of remnants of the Republic/Wolf Empire.  (Its Wolf Empire, since they've not claimed it being anything other than extension of Clan Wolf's territories.)

Everything is all quiet. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #37 on: 06 July 2023, 20:34:02 »
Looking at Levin I can see him running a underground resistance on Terra because most of the planets population is not gonna like being under Clan rule. Just ask yourself how you would feel if someone showed up at your door, told you no longer have a last name, you got to test to see what your new place in the world is, and possibly even be relocated. Terra is occupied territory. And Levin could run a very successful campaign with that type of scenario. The Wolves are bit exactly strong here and there going to have to eventually spread back out to retake the Wolf Empire again because Terra is the prize but it's the prize that has very few rescources left to exploit.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 07 July 2023, 06:57:42 »
I wonder who is going write big next story for the universe.  Hour of the Wolf novel did change couple things of the story, frankly it was hoped universe would get back to story driven plots for the Universe.   I have say while I didn't like every thing (okay alot of things) in HotW, i did like idea of the story in driver seat, guiding things along.

Question is the universe is now holding it's breath again, as we wait for the next shoe to drop.  Such as the iKhan's eyes only plot book will reveal, frankly we can get on with the Capellan invasion of remnants of the Republic/Wolf Empire.  (Its Wolf Empire, since they've not claimed it being anything other than extension of Clan Wolf's territories.)

Everything is all quiet.

From what I have seen from the star maps the Confederation can't exactly cut into the Wolf empire. There is the Free Worlds between them. Unless we get some cooperation going between both realsm (which might be possible considering that the Free worlds declared hunting season on the Wolves). But as you said there are some Republic planets left (like Northwind). Might be interesting how they are handled.

I think Tucker might be more something of a Twitter troll blanketing the entire Terran net with his version of history (Terrans have one of the most sophisticated communications networks) And conisdering how he manage to slip the net the Wolves have laid (and before how he slipped republic agents when he found Stone) I assume he might become a thorn in the Wolves side. furthermore the question is how the Wolves will organize Terra now: pushing down the rigid caste system isn't the best of ideas when your touman is a far cry from what it was and you have to deal with a planet 10-12 billion strong. Amaris had several divisions at his beck and call and the Terran resistance persisted until the liberation several years later. the main issue will most likely be the supply of raw materials. He can get them from the belt but the Belters are rather independent minded (though let's be fair Alaric has the advantage with his few Warships as power projection) or he has to rely even more on the Sea Foxes and the question will be what kind of price they will extract for this service. Then we have the factories itself. I think most of them are more or less automated so they should run rather smooth unless they get sabotaged. Strikes might be another thing: how will he deal with those? Hard crackdowns? Ask Amaris how well that went. And I for one still think that a good protion of Terrans still hate the clans for betraying them all those centuries ago. sounds like an uphill battle just to keep control of Terra unless he finds a unifying reason which most likely will be the war against House Liao

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 07 July 2023, 07:41:23 »
Its comes down to how CGL want the plot of ilKhan role.  I'm confused as heck what is going to happen.

I do remember the sneak preview ages ago of them thinking further fragmentation of the Inner Sphere would be good for game play.  However, that was ages ago.

Staying in canon, not thinking what company will do.  I think what will likely be most predictable event is the Capellans clash with the Clans.

Terrans have been mostly in isolation for centuries, until this conquest, not been effected in their life time.  Republic cause people of the remains of the Republic be sick of isolation as it effected interstellar trade.   Especially when you think that KF Drives were being used as part Hyperspace Bomb/Hyperspace Torpedo thing.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 07 July 2023, 08:00:41 »
You might be conflating "ilClan" with "Alaric's new Star League". The Wolves will always be ilClan, even if they lose Terra in the next book and the new Star League never happens.

Though I happen to agree that this is just the beginning of things. I just think it's too soon for anyone to assume what's going to happen, because this is the first truly uncharted territory BattleTech has had in ages. It's exciting.

Anal retentive note, but the wording about how one becomes ilclan leaves room to say that it’s not just the first to own Terra, but whoever owns Terra. Now, wolves will never, ever, ever, stop claiming the title ilclan. They could lose Terra and all the Terran wolves pushed back into the shredded remains of the wolf empire that holds basically just Geinah to Thermopolis and they would still claim the title. Yet, another clan that takes Terra could also claim ilclan. There’s room for a war of legitimacy if CGL chooses.

right now the ilclan era, IMHO hasn;t even seen it's defining conflict START

I agree. FWL accidentally taking 20% of the Empire was them getting their act together. The follow up will be an actual war. ilKEO will show CCAF vs wolves round 1.

But we know from RR the Alaric sure as hell hasn’t suffered anything resembling a sense of humility or humbleness. He will be starting a war in the back half of 3152 that is likely the defining start (maybe all) of the era.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 07 July 2023, 08:06:03 »
Bringing it back to sort of on topic. What does the RotS play in this

A) deader and more gone than BLP could have hoped?
B) a meaningless resistance movement that gives the same sort of problems to the wolves that “warships straining Raven’s economy” gives the Ravens?
C) an actual effective resistance?
D) a minor government in exile? Rally the RAF to a new homeworld and set up shop as a bulwark against Wolves?
E) a rallying cry for the nations that end up uniting (or at least not shooting each other) to face Alaric?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #42 on: 07 July 2023, 08:20:21 »
Bringing it back to sort of on topic. What does the RotS play in this

A) deader and more gone than BLP could have hoped?
B) a meaningless resistance movement that gives the same sort of problems to the wolves that “warships straining Raven’s economy” gives the Ravens?
C) an actual effective resistance?
D) a minor government in exile? Rally the RAF to a new homeworld and set up shop as a bulwark against Wolves?
E) a rallying cry for the nations that end up uniting (or at least not shooting each other) to face Alaric?

A) Most likely.   
B) That remains to be seen, the ships could be mothballed until economy grew large enough per conquest to support the ships and their upkeep. Ravens can lend their ships as long as their supported.
C) That possible in my mind, unless Wolves and Clans on the planet are doing Malvina level retaliation against the population.
D) Government was trapped inside the Fortress that was loyal to RotS, as the Fortress shrunk, its possible some of the less important people left.  It would also hinge on armies deployed into the FedSuns to support resistance against the Combine (not counting volunteers) didn't make it back before the fall.  They'd have find elements of the government and nevermind fleeing civilians whom I was under the impression were stripped of their JumpShips to begin within the fortress.
E) While this possible, the Gray Monday made impossible to organize anything easily.  Everyone by 3150s were barely holding on what they had, nevermind fending off the two aggresseor states of the Draconis Combine and Capellan Confederation.   The later is most powerful (known) State remaining, since they've been pawning for this day of conquest for very long time.  Unless they get very bloody nose or Dania reigns them in after her "brother" dies, they maybe best hope fight the Clans of Terra.

Republic of the Sphere elements would linger in different forms, but frankly as organization faction?  Unless they had a hidden world, such as those friendly neighborhoods Marik was trying setup or dead world (but habitable) off the maps, their hosed.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #43 on: 07 July 2023, 11:07:22 »

The Ravens' economic woes resulting from the reactivation of their fleet is hardly "meaningless", Church. It's one of the reasons (the primary reason, in fact) their touman can't grow. And with the Ravens escalating their conflict with the FedSuns, not to mention their involvement with Alaric's new Star League, being stuck with only four Galaxies of ground troops is a big problem for them.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2023, 11:09:47 by tassa_kay »

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 07 July 2023, 11:24:34 »
 The rational move for the Capellan Confederation is to annihilate two Clans in 1 push. If either side were to be left too weak to hold Terra, I could see Republic remnants taking it and trying to pull off a Comstar. The ultimate issue right now is that technically all of the Successor States rejected their Successor State status during the Clan invasion, and the only claimants to being such are the Clans. Clan Wolf as ilClan technically has an undefined status. If the Bears remain unreliable, the Horses see the Wolves as illegitimate, and the Ravens largely remain in the middle of nowhere, the ilClan should crumble. Even if the ilClan crumbles, no one recognizes it as House Cameron's rightful successor outside of the Clans. In other words, a Succession War would require renouncing claims made during the Clan invasion.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2023, 11:26:33 by Minemech »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 07 July 2023, 11:44:10 »
The Ravens' economic woes resulting from the reactivation of their fleet is hardly "meaningless", Church. It's one of the reasons (the primary reason, in fact) their touman can't grow. And with the Ravens escalating their conflict with the FedSuns, not to mention their involvement with Alaric's new Star League, being stuck with only four Galaxies of ground troops is a big problem for them.

Their economic woes are a direct result of integrating with the poorest neighborhood in the near-periphery of the Inner Sphere, tassa, and then failing to actually INTEGRATE with it (economically, culturally, industrially....)  Warships are logistics intensive beasts, and the Ravens didn't build up the local infrastructure in terms of educated workforce, convertible industries, or economic growth enough to actually support their fleet beyond subsistence levels....because they still haven't figured out they need to abandon Clanner Economics and embrace something that actually works.

Thus, after decades in the area and plenty of time to prepare, they're still gutting their local infrastructure to get ships they've had decades to prep ready in a hurry.

per Canon they have ONE shipyard, and it has a lot of damage (Quatre Belle), and that's after decades where they could've been feeding the expansion and positioning of additional yards, feeder industries like prospecting and vacuum smelting, built up the supply infrastructure and economy to have the slack to handle reactivation...They didn't do it, because they're Clanners, and still clinging to Nick Kerensky's misreading of Engels and Keynes.

They still think that military and economic are separate things and can be KEPT separate.

The more we learn about the Raven alliance the more amusing their struggles are, because they're so thoroughly unnecessary.  A similar problem existed with the Republic, for similar reasons.  Deeply centralized economies only produce progress in the very narrow short term, and only if they're run by actual geniuses with enough information to make intelligent decisions-neither the information, nor the geniuses are involved here, and their system is crippled by Clan Economic Theory and Clan Caste practices.

To give how this is related, I refer you to Jacob Bannson, from back in MWDA days, and the impossible glass ceiling that turned him from a potential major asset to the Republic, into a dedicated enemy of it.

The Ravens may not have to worry about their Outworlder subjects rebelling thanks to the spread of the Omniss creed, but the barriers built into their culture don't allow for the necessary type of growth to keep that fleet healthy for more than a relatively short period of time.  Just like the Republic's built in barriers created internal enemies poised to disrupt it during a major crisis while also blinding those who maintained those barriers to the domestic threat.

It's actually not that unusual throughout the Inner Sphere and the Clans-Ideals and a segregated leadership doing the opposite of the practical or pragmatic everywhere BUT the battlefield, as if the battlefield was the only place where practicality matters.

The path to victory lies in securing victory and advantage before pursuing battle.  Sometimes LONG before, depending on how dependent your core systems are on things like maintenance and munitions.  The more complex a system is, the more it needs to be supported by a logistics chain of educated, industrial workers committed to doing quality work quickly.

That in turn ties to things like food supplies-not just soldiers need to eat, starved workers don't do good work and they don't do it rapidly.  The Ravens are in trouble, they just don't realize it yet.

« Last Edit: 07 July 2023, 11:47:32 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #46 on: 07 July 2023, 12:44:23 »
... I'm really not sure why you wrote a novella to basically repeat my own point back to me, but thanks, Cannonshop. ;D

per Canon they have ONE shipyard

They have two, actually.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2023, 17:09:07 by tassa_kay »

Generalripphook

• Corporal
« Reply #47 on: 07 July 2023, 14:22:03 »
They could be setting up the next secret faction. It seems like Republic troops and agents are going to end up in every house, except the Caps

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 07 July 2023, 19:41:26 »
I could see the Republic returning as a minor faction much like Free Capella back in the day. A Goverment in Exile or a possibly even a minor state reformed in the Periphery though right now they make a excellent source of new Mercenary units. Might be interesting if Jonah Levin came back as the commander of a merc Regiment with the hopeless cause of retaking Terra. But needs that one contract to make ends meet.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 08 July 2023, 10:17:52 »
... I'm really not sure why you wrote a novella to basically repeat my own point back to me, but thanks, Cannonshop. ;D

They have two, actually.

...and you missed the point entirely.  Rasalhague was 'poor' because it was 'new', but lots of industry went with it on independence and the Ghost Bears (and wolves) were able to profit off that.

The Outworlds Alliance has been historically Poor since its inception.  There are Planets in the Inner Sphere with more population than the whole OA at it's Height.

as in, MULTIPLE planets, not just Earth.

With a higher average standard-of-living, even, and definitely higher GDP Per world, never mind collectively.

And warship fleets are capital intensive beasts.  the support industries to KEEP those fleets working require vast numbers of educated, skilled workers and a strong industrial base.

Can you tell me what the Outworlds Alliance has been lacking for the entirety of its existence prior to the Ravens moving in?  Keeping in mind that the Ravens lost a major proportion of their skilled labor base (and portable industrial equipment) during the retreat from the homeworlds?  (I'll wait while you consult FM: Periphery States or the Periphery States handbook if you need a refresher.)

Then we can discuss the more recent sources showing that the Ravens consciously and intentionally did NOT INTEGRATE their economy with the Outworlders, instead confining themselves to political and military dominance.

That means they did NOT expand that pool of skilled workers and the industrial base necessary to feed those shipyards, and thus, the Fleet.

It means they're buying stuff (mostly components and complex supplies) from the Sea Foxes instead of making it for themselves.

Warships are made of nothing BUT complex supplies and maintenance intensive equipment.  That's why so many got so mothballed-the previous generations of Khans couldn't afford to keep them operating.

Put this way: I just finished a major fanfic series that I had to absolutely ignore practical in-canon realities for-I actually KNOW which canon materials I had to subvert or pretend don't exist, just to make the stories possible.  If I were being paid, I'd be the worst hack in the bunch for doing that and deservedly so.

THIS thread discusses the CANON, which means canon issues and canon restrictions both must apply until an author who's being paid for it says otherwise.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2023, 10:54:25 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #50 on: 08 July 2023, 12:13:05 »
You're now explaining my own point back to me (re: the Ravens' economic woes) for a second time now. This is exhausting.

...and you missed the point entirely.

To be fair, Cannonshop, it's often difficult to suss out what your point is when you start in on these meandering stream-of-consciousness text walls.

(I'll wait while you consult FM: Periphery States or the Periphery States handbook if you need a refresher.)

Do you realize how utterly condescending you sound when you say things like this?

Put this way: I just finished a major fanfic series that I had to absolutely ignore practical in-canon realities for-I actually KNOW which canon materials I had to subvert or pretend don't exist, just to make the stories possible.  If I were being paid, I'd be the worst hack in the bunch for doing that and deservedly so.

THIS thread discusses the CANON, which means canon issues and canon restrictions both must apply until an author who's being paid for it says otherwise.

What the hell is even the purpose of this non-sequitur, other than to plug your own fanfic?  ;D

I've said this before, but it obviously didn't take, so despite my utter loathing of having to do this, I'm going to repeat myself: Please. Stop. Explaining. Things. To. Me. Like. I'm. An. Idiot. Seriously, STOP. It's insulting and aggravating and I've watched this happen in SO MANY THREADS.

And with that said, I'm out. Between you doing these text walls and Church constantly complaining about HotW/BLP/Alaric/the Wolves as if he was personally victimized by the writing, I'm finding it very difficult to engage in any meaningful conversation about the Republic and its last days.

« Last Edit: 08 July 2023, 12:24:14 by tassa_kay »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 08 July 2023, 16:46:30 »
To add to the "weakness2 of the Ravens: Warships are huge targets. If you use the typical way of eliminating them aka "Crash stuff into them" the Ravens would be bereft of their biggest asset soon. Plus any major combat strands your Warship in a system that might be hazardous to even start a salvage operation. The Ravens are something of a glass canon who at this point probably have the effect of shock on their side (big jumpships with big guns)

I think most of the Republic's assetts (Paladins and so on) might begin to join the remaining houses or even the wolves (we have examples like Paladin Zou first terrorizing the wolves and then joining the Mariks or Tara joining the Wolves and then Falcons) And while some Paladins died most are unaccounted (like Paladin Ergen the rising star of Shattered Fortress) amd they can either become something of a resistance or more likely the intermediate between the Clanner and the Terran population.  The remaining Republic forces are probably trying to hold out (like the Liao's experienced on their latest conquests) as long as possible as they seem to have no possibility to flee. Especially as there is no boder with a "friendly" state left and who knows if they even have transports left.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 08 July 2023, 17:53:26 »
 If a Paladin is ideologically motivated, they are more likely to work with a state that will allow them to advance the interests of their ideology. The states most open to having worlds governed under diverse ideologies are the Free Worlds League, the Federated Suns and the Lyran Commonwealth. In other words, it is possible to maintain localized Republic governments, possibly with official or unofficial unions with other Republic governed worlds, under said states.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 08 July 2023, 18:24:54 »
You're now explaining my own point back to me (re: the Ravens' economic woes) for a second time now. This is exhausting.

To be fair, Cannonshop, it's often difficult to suss out what your point is when you start in on these meandering stream-of-consciousness text walls.

Do you realize how utterly condescending you sound when you say things like this?

What the hell is even the purpose of this non-sequitur, other than to plug your own fanfic?  ;D

I've said this before, but it obviously didn't take, so despite my utter loathing of having to do this, I'm going to repeat myself: Please. Stop. Explaining. Things. To. Me. Like. I'm. An. Idiot. Seriously, STOP. It's insulting and aggravating and I've watched this happen in SO MANY THREADS.

And with that said, I'm out. Between you doing these text walls and Church constantly complaining about HotW/BLP/Alaric/the Wolves as if he was personally victimized by the writing, I'm finding it very difficult to engage in any meaningful conversation about the Republic and its last days.

I thought I was inviting you to refute me, like "Here's my source, what do you have to contradict it?"

apparently I was wrong.

To add to the "weakness2 of the Ravens: Warships are huge targets. If you use the typical way of eliminating them aka "Crash stuff into them" the Ravens would be bereft of their biggest asset soon. Plus any major combat strands your Warship in a system that might be hazardous to even start a salvage operation. The Ravens are something of a glass canon who at this point probably have the effect of shock on their side (big jumpships with big guns)

I think most of the Republic's assets (Paladins and so on) might begin to join the remaining houses or even the wolves (we have examples like Paladin Zou first terrorizing the wolves and then joining the Mariks or Tara joining the Wolves and then Falcons) And while some Paladins died most are unaccounted (like Paladin Ergen, the rising star of Shattered Fortress) amd they can either become something of a resistance or more likely the intermediate between the Clanner and the Terran population.  The remaining Republic forces are probably trying to hold out (like the Liao's experienced on their latest conquests) as long as possible as they seem to have no possibility to flee. Especially as there is no border with a "friendly" state left and who knows if they even have transports left.

A lot depends on how much in-depth the writing is allowed to go.  We've seen "Everyone falls in line because the capital/ruler fell" (Fedcom Civil War), and we've seen "Conquest driven into the dirt by constant insurgency".

To me, the direction on that spectrum really will depend on how successful Stone's effort to create a "Republic" national identity actually was, and whether the Writing Team's going to lean that way, or lean toward rapidly erasing the faction from existence by handwavium so that the Ever Victorious Alaric (Steiner-Davion) Ward's story can be unhampered by a sustained and ongoing domestic insurgency near the seat of the IlClan's Power.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #54 on: 08 July 2023, 18:32:24 »
Quick question for you good Republicans.

IlClan mentions the Melbourne Militia in Australia, It's a battalion of vehicles & infantry, no 'Mechs. I'm planning on using up a bunch of my remaining MW:DA vehicles that size well to BT to reproduce this, living in Melbourne, Australia, as I do.

Current plans is three companies, each with platoons of battle armour, recon vehicles, and something heavier, and possibly an HQ unit. Oh, and a platoon of Urbies (they barely count as 'Mechs) in the blue, yellow & red MFP scheme from the original "Mad Max".

The question is, would these guys (other than the Urbies) be in Republic Standing Guard colours, or something else?

Any advice welcomed! Thanks in advance.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 08 July 2023, 18:43:03 »
I thought I was inviting you to refute me, like "Here's my source, what do you have to contradict it?"
...Why though?  It seemed clear to me that Tassa largely agreed, so no need to contradict.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 08 July 2023, 20:12:33 »
Quick question for you good Republicans.

IlClan mentions the Melbourne Militia in Australia, It's a battalion of vehicles & infantry, no 'Mechs. I'm planning on using up a bunch of my remaining MW:DA vehicles that size well to BT to reproduce this, living in Melbourne, Australia, as I do.

Current plans is three companies, each with platoons of battle armour, recon vehicles, and something heavier, and possibly an HQ unit. Oh, and a platoon of Urbies (they barely count as 'Mechs) in the blue, yellow & red MFP scheme from the original "Mad Max".

The question is, would these guys (other than the Urbies) be in Republic Standing Guard colours, or something else?

Any advice welcomed! Thanks in advance.

Lol, I would love to see a force in that MFP scheme. I did a resin Marauder up in Mad Max's Falcons scheme once.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #57 on: 08 July 2023, 20:43:06 »
...Why though?  It seemed clear to me that Tassa largely agreed, so no need to contradict.

THANK YOU.

Good grief, talk about missing the forest for the trees.

Croix129

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 08 July 2023, 20:43:30 »
I do have to laugh a bit that, even on a thread the OP created to be the "RotS Megathread", the Republic is still of secondary focus. Just wanted to point that out.

Anyway, trying to bring back the focus a bit, I personally don't think Stone had a secret plan when he went into stasis. From my reading of events, it felt like he did that as a kind of "King Arthur/King in the Mountain" situation; in which the "lost king" would return to save the nation at its darkest hour. Not a "wake me up in 50 years" or "my going into stasis starts the plan to take control of the Inner Sphere", but being a living "back up" plan. Of course, that proved to be a disaster, but I suppose it made sense to a man who was starting to grow senile and believed his own hype.

And to the "Alaric/Clan situation" on Terra, I 100% think the only way the "IKhan" holds onto Terra is through plot armor. There's no other way for his very ravaged and depleted forces to beat the massive number of troops Daoshen will bring down on them. Now, I would love it if CGL would subvert my expectations and have the Wolves booted off Terra by the Cappies, only for say, the Bears, to in turn kick the Liaos off and claim the ilClanship, but not gonna hold my breath. Therefore preserving the era of "ilClan" while keeping things very interesting. Sadly, CGL spent years building up the Wolves' conquest of Terra and assumption of the ilClanship, so I can't see a massive shift in plans being in the cards.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #59 on: 08 July 2023, 20:57:13 »
That's the problem I have with the idea that the ilClan status is something that another Clan could simply come in and take from the Wolves. If that's the case, then why would any of the other Clans even respect that status in the first place? They could all just sit outside the Fortress and wait for the walls to come tumbling down and either take Terra from the Wolves, or wait for the Capellans to do it for them... and to me, that cheapens the concept of the ilClan. The Revival Trials OTP reinforces the idea that it's not about who holds Terra, but about who holds it first, because it reiterates that the sitting Khan of the ilClan becomes ilKhan in perpetuity and is able to name their successor.

Register