Author Topic: Knights of Saint Cameron ?  (Read 5682 times)

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
Re: Knights of Saint Cameron ?
« Reply #30 on: 10 November 2023, 07:48:24 »
So at a stretch, who could be related to a Cameron, in ilClan ? Kind of looking for points for creating a new Character that my main Blackwatch Falcon one could encounter, or for that matter of fact my Hinterlands character could learn about through the Monastery in the end of "No Substitute for Victory"

As I am really starting to get into the TH / 1st Star League now too

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 10 November 2023, 08:52:52 »
There are still cadet lines of the Cameron clan out there. So in theory you could find some minor noble with very, very, verrrryyyyy thin lines of connection to the Camerons out there. Or if you are conspiratorial every holder of the Jennifer Winson bloodname or descendant from Jennifer Winson's genes

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 10 November 2023, 09:20:44 »
Or if you are conspiratorial every holder of the Jennifer Winson bloodname or descendant from Jennifer Winson's genes

So basically the secret Wolverines I have read about on Sarna ? Where are they (hiding) in ilClan ?

Also what is "The Clave" mentioned in previous posts ?

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 10 November 2023, 09:26:50 »
Within the Clans? Anyone decanted from the Jennifer Winson bloodline. I'd find it doubtful anyone would dare to reave a bloodcount from the Founder's wife so it's likely still at twenty-five. In the ilClan era we know of one, Isabella Winson of the Ninth Wolf Guards Striker Cluster (RG27) but no idea if she's part of Jennifer or Jerome's blood heritage.

What could be interesting is if Jennifer is part of Vlad Ward's heritage. It wouldn't matter in the Clans since Ward was his matrilineal line, but it could matter to the feudal monarchists in the Sphere. Assuming there's a drop of Vlad's blood in Alaric at all, which is a whole other thread.
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 10 November 2023, 09:28:15 »
So basically the secret Wolverines I have read about on Sarna ? Where are they (hiding) in ilClan ?

Also what is "The Clave" mentioned in previous posts ?

Only time The Clave have come up this far. $0
https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-redemption-and-malice

As for the Wolverines, that's a different genetic conspiracy. Basically some elements of Clan Wolverine survived (this is fact), met with ComStar (conjecture and rumor from here on out) and set up a powerbase within the Order to destroy the Clans out of a centuries old revenge vendetta. All while also, maybe, hiding as The Clave in the coreward Periphery.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2023, 09:41:34 by ShroudedSciuridae »

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 10 November 2023, 09:57:36 »
How can one have the Bloodname, but not heritage ?

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 10 November 2023, 10:08:31 »
How can one have the Bloodname, but not heritage ?

Oh that's easy, Everything Katrina Touches Dies™

Alaric has been described as the product of Katherine and Victor's DNA, and as Katherine and Vlad (matrilineal). Or perhaps a Twins style mix of Katherine and Victor's DNA patrilineally and Vlad. Alaric has gone on public record as Katherine and Vlad being his genetic parents but the truth is still fuzzy.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #37 on: 27 November 2023, 16:23:03 »
So at a stretch, who could be related to a Cameron, in ilClan ? Kind of looking for points for creating a new Character that my main Blackwatch Falcon one could encounter, or for that matter of fact my Hinterlands character could learn about through the Monastery in the end of "No Substitute for Victory"

As I am really starting to get into the TH / 1st Star League now too

The rulers of Regulus are Camerons.

The fact that nobody is throwing themselves at the feet of Regulus and begging to serve them shows how little having "a Cameron" actually means.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 27 November 2023, 22:57:26 »
The rulers of Regulus are Camerons.

The fact that nobody is throwing themselves at the feet of Regulus and begging to serve them shows how little having "a Cameron" actually means.

Interesting, but I am more looking for "pure" blood. Although "Cadet" what does that actually mean ?

To fuel ilClan conspiracy theories (development plots), perhaps the Order has a massive secret underground Brain Cache, ready to deploy at the right "divined" time :cool:

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #39 on: 28 November 2023, 00:19:01 »
Interesting, but I am more looking for "pure" blood.

That's about as "pure" as you're gonna get.

Although "Cadet" what does that actually mean ?

Cadet branches are the descendants of a noble family's younger scions.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 28 November 2023, 05:03:43 »
they're called Cadet branches because while they start off outside the line of sucession those Cadet branches can be called upon should the ruling line fail. Notable examples of Inner Sphere rules from cadet branches within the Inner Sphere are Julian Davion, Adam Steiner, Yori  (Sakamoto) Kurita
The Suns will shine again

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 28 November 2023, 13:23:06 »
That's about as "pure" as you're gonna get.

Looking for "pure" blood usually entails inbreeding, so maybe this is all a Capellan plot?

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 29 November 2023, 07:46:26 »
Inner Sphere rules from cadet branches within the Inner Sphere are Julian Davion

Always liked Davion  :cool:

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #43 on: 29 November 2023, 08:34:53 »
When Janos Marik was hating on his own family after Anton's revolt, he looked further afield for a new heir (his previous heir apparent having sided with Anton and been executed), and for a time considered his third cousin, with whom he shared a common great-great grandparent.  Cranston Snord kinda snuffed that out by kidnapping the guy and hauling him back to Tharkad to be ransomed, forcing Janos to turn to Thomas.  And we all know how that turned out...
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 29 November 2023, 14:14:48 »
To be fair the real Thomas Marik was a good ruler until he was nearly killed by another family member. No wonder that House Marik has the image of being one family member away from a civil war: the most prominent history chapter is filled with civil war.

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 29 November 2023, 17:31:41 »
You could probably point to Janos (and Giovanni Steiner) as examples of why most House rulers don't have a ton of kids. Janos and Giovanni did, look where that landed their realm.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 29 November 2023, 20:00:47 »
 He likely would have remained a good ruler had no bionics been implanted. If I recall it is thought to be a genetic issue particular to the Marik family.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 29 November 2023, 20:26:52 »
There is ZERO evidance Bionics causes madness. I mean the Tramua from being nearly killed in an explosion could unhinge someone pretty easily. epsecially as people turning to religion, hard core, for answers in light of troubling events in their life is hardly an unprecidented thing

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 30 November 2023, 13:57:55 »
He likely would have remained a good ruler had no bionics been implanted. If I recall it is thought to be a genetic issue particular to the Marik family.

The people who chalk it up to a genetic issue are just bigots trying to science up their bigotry.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #49 on: 30 November 2023, 15:32:11 »
The "cybernetics causes madness" bit is a legacy holdover from the original BattleDroids writeup, where DroidWarriors who got cybernetic implants were described as becoming increasingly emotionally numb, colder, and less human over time.  It really hasn't surfaced in canon in the BattleTech setting in that form, though the authors of the original Marik SB alluded to it a few times.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 30 November 2023, 16:08:40 »
 Given how easily knowledgeable fans confused genuine canon fluff on Gerald Marik with a statement about reality, I would be fine with a full-blown retcon.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 30 November 2023, 16:25:12 »
So far the only implants that cause neural damages are the EI implants for Protomech pilots. This can lead to a form of "God complex". But Bionics in general don't seem to cause any mental damages.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 30 November 2023, 17:57:46 »
Given how easily knowledgeable fans confused genuine canon fluff on Gerald Marik with a statement about reality, I would be fine with a full-blown retcon.

just because peoplel belive X in universe does not mean X is true, and I'd rather the setting not be dumbed down for people incapable of understanding that

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 30 November 2023, 18:05:22 »
 Given that I do not use Battletech for my understanding of reality, how do we resolve the fact that an in-character comment was treated and confronted as a statement of reality by others? Frankly it could be true in the Battletech universe and false in reality or true in both. We are not the only ones reading these threads, we simply are posters. I am probably not going to succeed on diligence if I am required to certify that individual posts are in-character every time it is necessary to do so, I chill on these forums. If I stop posting in-character, I lose some of the fun of pretend mech game discussion. I did not take a personal position of an in-character post, but some took it to mean that I thought it was real, that is a problem. The bionics thing is a Free Worlds League character item that tends to get treated in resources related to it. No one thinks that it is more than fiction.   
« Last Edit: 30 November 2023, 18:08:02 by Minemech »

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #54 on: 30 November 2023, 19:45:59 »
how do we resolve the fact that an in-character comment was treated and confronted as a statement of reality by others?

By not making in-character comments in a non-roleplaying space. Or, failing that, clearly demarcating your comments accordingly so people who are actually trying to have a serious discussion know upfront not to take your comments seriously.

"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 01 December 2023, 23:44:19 »
Are there any Cadet branches in the ELH ?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 02 December 2023, 04:10:08 »
Oh that's easy, Everything Katrina Touches Dies™

Alaric has been described as the product of Katherine and Victor's DNA, and as Katherine and Vlad (matrilineal). Or perhaps a Twins style mix of Katherine and Victor's DNA patrilineally and Vlad. Alaric has gone on public record as Katherine and Vlad being his genetic parents but the truth is still fuzzy.

He must have some Ward DNA in him as it was required to activate the recording telling him where he could find the McKenna's Pride.

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 06 December 2023, 14:21:40 »
Are there any Cadet branches in the ELH ?

No. The Camerons weren't going to put their relatives in a non-Royal unit.

The "cybernetics causes madness" bit is a legacy holdover from the original BattleDroids writeup, where DroidWarriors who got cybernetic implants were described as becoming increasingly emotionally numb, colder, and less human over time.  It really hasn't surfaced in canon in the BattleTech setting in that form, though the authors of the original Marik SB alluded to it a few times.

Sounds like an excuse not to acknowledge the effects of prolonged combat on people, if you ask me...

"Yeah it's just because they've got implants, not because they burned a bunch of human beings alive with flamers earlier today."
« Last Edit: 06 December 2023, 14:23:53 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 06 December 2023, 17:48:31 »
No. The Camerons weren't going to put their relatives in a non-Royal unit.

Sounds like an excuse not to acknowledge the effects of prolonged combat on people, if you ask me...

"Yeah it's just because they've got implants, not because they burned a bunch of human beings alive with flamers earlier today."

agreed. I mean, "I got blowed up!" is going to mess with your head more then a prostetic arm is

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #59 on: 06 December 2023, 19:46:42 »
The old BattleDroids text literally said that, once connected via the neurohelmet, the DroidWarrior controlled the 'Mech just like it was their own body.  So that gets into the territory that BattleTech ultimately returned to with direct neural interfaces and resulting madness.  (Same with enhanced imaging implants)  Could be that the neural hookups required to make fully functional (responsive to nerve impulses) prosthetics had some sort of interaction with the neurohelmet activity, resulting in some level of degenerative brain damage that deadened emotional reactions.

Either way, it's a classic "Early Installment Weirdness" artefact, and not a slam on people with prosthetics in the modern setting.

Register