Author Topic: Artillery guide: how to kill em without looking at em  (Read 15010 times)

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Artillery guide: how to kill em without looking at em
« Reply #30 on: 10 April 2015, 08:25:07 »
One more question that arised when I was digging through TacOps (+errata).
TacOps p.185 states that when direct firing artillery if You miss, MoF doesn't affect the scatter- it says to use "only 1d6 is rolled to determine distance".
If You look into TacOps errata p.38 you will see new rules for scatter- use only one die to determine direction of scatter, missed round scatter by number of hexes equal to MoF.
So if We add those to rules toegheter it means that direct fire scatters always only by one hex. Am I right?

You don't add those rules together; the errata concerns how scatter works for indirect fire artillery. Direct fire has its own rules, which state 1d6 hexes of scatter, in a random (1d6) direction.

I thought I asked this a week ago, but apparently it got swallowed:
How is the psychological effect of Artillery warped in a double blind game?
You don't have that "don't go here" effect anymore unless you use mines or always hit the same hex, but the "it could drop anywhere.... #P" effect could work just as well.

There's nothing stopping you from declaring what you're aiming for.
I would say that the "it could drop anywhere" aspect is irrelevant. If it could drop anywhere, it might as well drop nowhere for all I care about it. I have no information to base my decisions on. Knowing that you have artillery may make certain obvious terrain features unattractive, but that's always true.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register