Author Topic: On writing Fanfictions...  (Read 7125 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
On writing Fanfictions...
« on: 11 November 2018, 23:35:26 »
okay, so this is really kind of a non-fiction post.

Write.  Writers Write.  whether it's fanfictions, or contract work for a publisher, or self-published, if you want to get good, you write. This is the basic advice given by Stephen King in his treatise "Danse Macabre" and it's what Harlan Ellison's written in essays on writing and science fiction, and it's basically true.

do you want people dredging up ten year old stories and telling the world they're good? then WRITE.  Stephen King advised three words a day minimum, Ellison advised something similar, and most successful authors will tell you the same thing-you don't start out fantastic (unless you're that one in a billion natural rockstar writer that doesn't really exist), you get good by doing it, every day, without fail.

Second is, listen to people's feedback. Even when you think they're dead wrong, there's always something you can take away that is worth it, even if they think your stuff is absolute shit, you can pick up tips and ideas they might not even know they're feeding you.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: On writing Fanfictions...
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2018, 00:16:44 »
No that I disagree, but...  What prompts you to bring this up?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2018, 01:03:58 »
Fan fiction makes good practice. By definition you aren't going to be published, so there's no pressure. Second, you've got a built-in, likely sympathetic audience. Third, you probably know the material well enough that setting details are a snap.

And BattleTech doubly-so, because if you can write even halfway worth a damn, your stuff will be better in quality than anything that's officially published.  >:D
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2018, 01:23:25 »
You haven't read mine.   :-[  Mind you, I've been told I'm pretty good at the 3rd person writing from TRO entries and such, and I like to help other people with their TRO entries.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2018, 02:06:07 »
Fan fiction makes good practice. By definition you aren't going to be published, so there's no pressure. Second, you've got a built-in, likely sympathetic audience. Third, you probably know the material well enough that setting details are a snap.

And BattleTech doubly-so, because if you can write even halfway worth a damn, your stuff will be better in quality than anything that's officially published.  >:D

I wouldn't say that...... >:D

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2018, 03:41:51 »
I try to write a little each day, but honestly I've no idea if this is helping me to improve or not. The honest feedback you mentioned is not so easy to come by!

As for writing fan fiction, for BT I started out aiming to get officially published, but when BattleCorps went away publishing here & on my blog felt better than just throwing everything away. I could see a role for it in the community in the vacuum created by the lack of official fiction. Now that Catalyst has started to publish stories again, I kind of feel that window has closed.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2018, 03:47:59 »
The OP's not inappropriate to this month.

November is National Novel Writing Month, worldwide event for writers and aspiring authors to try to write 50,000 words in a month. It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to complete the story (although if it does, that's great!). And the writers don't just write in isolation - there are forums and discord channels, there are local gatherings (I attend a weekly write in in my home town each November where anything up to a dozen of us  get together, share stories about writing and encourage each other).

It took me three years before I successfully wrote 50,000 words in a month. I met someone this year who has been trying since she was thirteen and still hasn't succeeded - but she keeps trying and gets closer every year.

A Stitch In Time, Along Came A Spider and Idealist (book 1 of Davion & Davion (Deceased)) are all stories I wrote for National Novel Writing Month. And without those I would never have managed to write as much as I did of Centurion or have written Riding the Dragon, which is seven and a half years old but I still had a new review just this weekend.

Inspiration is what starts me writing, and the Battletech universe is a goldmine of inspiration seeded by more than thirty years of previous writers. But perspiration - keeping writing every day - is what gets me to the end of a story.

It's not unusual for me to get messages asking me to write someone's prize battletech idea. The answer I give is: "That sounds great, you write it." I almost always get a reply: "I'm no good at writing." The answer: "Nor was I. We all start somewhere. If you believe in the idea, work on it. I'll read it."

So to anyone thinking of writing battletech, or anything else that inspires you, do us and yourselves a favour: start writing. Even if it's just a little each day, if you keep at it, you can bring your idea to life.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2018, 06:50:47 »
Writing my fanfic has been great for my writing although I don't know if I will hit the 50,000 words written this month mark (had to go and get a girlfriend, how awful :)) but I am going to bring an end to my Katherine saga this month.  Just finished outlining Book 3, End of Book 2 will be a spectacular event. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2018, 06:59:36 »
I prefer to at least pretend my writing is interactive (i.e., in the context of a game), but I can't seem to hold on to players.  I'm going to continue working on the Double Deuce down in the Role Playing forum anyway.  A post every two weeks feels like the right pace for me, and gives the players time to throw in a dime if they like.  My Pathfinder game on Myth Weavers is in a similar state, but I at least have one player there who still comments occasionally.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2018, 13:51:08 »
I see the This was easier on tabletop... story I've been following is over 119,000 words and 198 pages on the Word program I'm using to edit typos, etc., counting both interludes.

Tell me - does CGL publish AU stories?  Because while my only finished fanfic is only about 13,000 words, I doubt it would ever see wider public interest than here or spacebattles.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2018, 15:07:23 »
I see the This was easier on tabletop... story I've been following is over 119,000 words and 198 pages on the Word program I'm using to edit typos, etc., counting both interludes.

Tell me - does CGL publish AU stories?  Because while my only finished fanfic is only about 13,000 words, I doubt it would ever see wider public interest than here or spacebattles.

No. They have one universe and all the fiction is all based in that single universe. Novels to advance the timeline from 3150 are being assigned to writers, and the PTB are still sorting out the other fiction.

One of the things that make Battletech unique is the single timeline and the official fiction is canon. Speaking from experience, it's hard enough making sure the official fiction fits the planned events and the background that has already been established. There have been stories written by regular writers rejected because they had conflicts with BT universe's canon. An AU story won't be considered.

Empires Aflame, from what I gather, is the closest thing to an official AU Battletech you'll find, and it appears its being fan-run, with little, if any input from Catalyst.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2018, 15:32:15 »
The canon product was the jumping off point, but yes.  I think it's Medron's project, but it's finished to the best of my knowledge.

Drunkninja

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 12 November 2018, 15:47:58 »
My project started over s year ago. Not putting words to paper, but on a table top.  I don't get to play often so to satisfy my needs for the universe I started to add fluff to battle reports of the games.  At that point an idea emerged and I wrote a sample on these forums.  People seemed to like it and that's when I started my story.  I've spent countless days researching, asking questions, looking at maps just to write short chapters about a story I want to tell.  It's no where near perfect, but writing it has fulfilled a part of me and I just have the need to create more.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2018, 11:37:30 »
Let me make this clear, I'm not discouraging anyone from writing BT fanfiction --- Before I became a Catalyst Freelancer, I also wrote Battletech Fanfiction. (Some of my stuff may be on these boards.....)

It's just in fanfiction of any type, you have the freedom to do what you want with the story. Canon stories are constrained by certain parameters such as events and the direction the story is supposed to be going. There is a lot of wriggle room between those parameters, but if canon says that Event X has to happen, it will. A fanfic can ignore Event X and instead substitute Event Y and go from there.

Write whatever you feel like -- but canon stories are held to a more rigid standard.

Craig

My Blogs!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2018, 12:12:44 »

For what I gathered here and in Sarna.net, BattleCorps was just that: people submitting stories to a pay site, and they were more or less considered to be a collection of non official BT universe stories. Not endorsed by Catalyst, but looked positively by them. Some of them were even officialized I think, with some of the stories being published officially et al. 

However that scheme seems to have ended.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2018, 17:06:42 »
For what I gathered here and in Sarna.net, BattleCorps was just that: people submitting stories to a pay site, and they were more or less considered to be a collection of non official BT universe stories. Not endorsed by Catalyst, but looked positively by them. Some of them were even officialized I think, with some of the stories being published officially et al. 

However that scheme seems to have ended.

To the contrary, all the stories that were on Battlecorps are considered official and canon.

Craig

My Blogs!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #16 on: 13 November 2018, 17:10:22 »
Ah, I stand corrected

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2018, 17:43:21 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 17:23:28 by Easy »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 13 November 2018, 22:27:24 »
I just get an idea and the let it work in my head, until I can not sleep.  I will write it out, most of the time I have no idea what the end will be.  it could be a start or the idea might be in the middle.  the nice thing about his area?  you can ask away and you will get help with what every you needed.   

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 13 November 2018, 23:17:44 »
I just get an idea and the let it work in my head, until I can not sleep.  I will write it out, most of the time I have no idea what the end will be.  it could be a start or the idea might be in the middle.  the nice thing about his area?  you can ask away and you will get help with what every you needed.   

Depressingly, I can't write anything I don't enjoy.  I can slog through it, sometimes, but I had to stop writing my Ultimo Ratio Regum story because of it.  It wasn't until I threw away half a chapter and made it unrepentedly from the Evil POV that I could write again.

panzerfaust150

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 16 November 2018, 12:46:37 »
I second those who have said it's all about "Just write, darnit!" (and that's the cleaned up version). I write for a living as a Documentation Analyst. I work darn hard and yeah, I am published with some minor works, but to be fair, all writing is, is being able to tell a story with a fun idea, and working hard to do it. That's really it. If you can do that, and do it consistently, you're a writer.

But it's not the inspiration that will get you through...it's the perspiration to echo drakensis. You have to be willing to edit, cut, mangle, and mutilate your baby in the re-write phase. Ego isn't a useful quality for a writer. It tends to get in the way more often than not.

And yes, while Clover Spear (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11573171/1/Clover-Spear-The-Story-of-the-56-War) for me was a success, fanfic wise, I will say this: It could have just as easily failed. I know it sounds crazy, but the truth is? Ideas and plots are hit or miss, and people may decide they like vanilla ice cream one day, and rocky road the next. Don't take it personally. Just go back to the drawing board. I have a Buffy/Twilight: 2000 (the RPG, not the books) crossover I really need to do some reworks on.  But do not work on something you don't enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you will not give it your best, and your readers will notice.

What this all boils down to is two simple words: Keep Writing!
« Last Edit: 16 November 2018, 12:51:15 by panzerfaust150 »
Clover Spear author and cat wrangler!
FedCom Fan!

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 26 November 2018, 19:09:21 »
My project started over s year ago. Not putting words to paper, but on a table top.  I don't get to play often so to satisfy my needs for the universe I started to add fluff to battle reports of the games.  At that point an idea emerged and I wrote a sample on these forums.  People seemed to like it and that's when I started my story.  I've spent countless days researching, asking questions, looking at maps just to write short chapters about a story I want to tell.  It's no where near perfect, but writing it has fulfilled a part of me and I just have the need to create more.

This echoes very much my own foray into BT fanfic. I made a couple of attempts to really get into it maybe three or four years ago but I was initially put off by the sheer volume of canon and felt I had to maticulously research every facet of my story like a fact checker as I went. It was tough going, but then the more I wrote the more I was learning about the wider BT universe and I got really into it.

I wrote probably my best piece of BT fiction first off and really enjoyed it. Got some mixed and helpful criticism, some really good feedback. That spurred me on to write some more and I got a bit more creative and tried a few different styles and formats on a series of pieces centring on a Merc company that are fronting as a disaster relief organisation. I guess it was a bit out-there though and I didn't get much feedback so eventually the ideas and enthusiasm dried up.

It's been 3 years now and I've just never been inspired to get back into BT though I know it's still there waiting for me. Though in many ways It's still such a huge Unknown.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2018, 18:12:15 »
mine sucks.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
« Reply #23 on: 28 November 2018, 18:59:32 »
mine sucks.

Maybe, but authors are sometimes their own worst critics.

Also, you don't get better at something by not doing it. In the immortal words of Jake the Dog: “Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 28 November 2018, 19:05:46 »

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #25 on: 28 November 2018, 23:21:41 »
clan wolverine
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 28 November 2018, 23:27:17 »
clan wolverine

I did not think so... I check it on every update. 

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #27 on: 04 December 2018, 17:58:02 »
Over the years of playing, I've tried to put into words some of the fantastic and crazy games we've played.  They would make great stories.  Still practicing.

As for fanfiction, it's the classic question of 'What if...?'. That's why I love all of the stories posted here and a few other sites.  It gives me ideas for campaigns and many are a very enjoyable read. 

For those who post their stories, Thank You.  I hope you continue.

Cheers, for now.
Taron 

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 05 December 2018, 09:48:00 »
What I really want from fanfiction in a Battletech context is the stories I can't get on the tabletop.
What kind of a universe prosecutes it's military campaigns by giant humanoid killing machines? Who are the pilots? What's it like to be a ground-pounder faced with these things?  What does it take to maintain and operate these machines? What are the logistics of that?  What does it mean to be the owner or inheritor of such a machine? What are the values of someone in that position versus maybe a disposed mech-warrior.

The games revolve understandiy giant robot slugging matches but there has to be a reason and a consequence.

The politics, the everyday experiences, the life journeys of the people in this universe are a little harder to tell. But when you have them, when the name of the pilot on your record sheet really means something, when they are someone with a history and a future to fight for, well isn't it so much more exciting?