Author Topic: Golden Lion Predictions & Discussion  (Read 16295 times)

DarthRads

• Captain
  • Trust me...I'm the Doctor...
Re: Golden Lion Predictions & Discussion
« Reply #90 on: 27 February 2014, 18:40:42 »
From TR3057R over 100 were built "by the fall of the Star League",  the SLDF bought a handful, the RWR bought 5 and most of the rest were bought by the LCAF.
Beat me to it

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: 27 February 2014, 19:08:14 »
From what Herb said after the FR 2765 series is done we will have the warships produced between 2300 and present. If that's the case then warships built in the lead up to the SW will have to be existing classes, such as the Tharkad & Mako for the LC, the Narukami and Samarkand for the DC, and the Soyal for the CC.

Don't see how we'll have the Riga II...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #92 on: 27 February 2014, 19:42:02 »
Don't see how we'll have the Riga II...
I don't either.  Strictly speaking from what I've noticed in the patterns we've seen in roll out of new WarShips.  These are vessels that are in the service of Great Houses aka Star League Member States.  This being said, Riga II as far we know was strictly a SLDF vessel.  Heck, original Riga was never sold to member states, why should a frontline latest generation of Destroyer/Carrier be sold as well?

I expect that mainstays from the TRO2750 will be the second bananas of remaining Field Reports 2765 series. Aegis was most numerous, grant you its old picture was from the rear of the ship, not making as sexy of a picture so to speak.  It would be nice to have a new front picture of the ship, like the ones shown in the Liberation of Terra historical series.  The  Essex I is likely going to be one of the 3 remaining vessels, i'm pretty certain about that from it being mentioned alot in Navy write ups from from the other TROs.  Also though very out date was Combat Operations, which listed ALL the faction Mechs, Vehicles, Fighters, and WarShips that were in service for each faction.  Grant you, it had problems and doesn't list all the vessels, since its old.   However, i believe thats a good template to figuring out what to expect.  So far its been on the money so far.  Another ship, i think maybe the last one of the old 2750 ships is likely the Mk 39 Vincent.  Like Aegis, she was in almost every Star League Member state fleet, including Taurian Concordat's fleet.

The Commonwealth, League, and Athena Class WarShips from the StratOps are coming next.  What the remaining slots of the FR2765 is like almost like Vega odds right now.  :D
« Last Edit: 27 February 2014, 19:45:15 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: 27 February 2014, 19:53:28 »
Another ship, i think maybe the last one of the old 2750 ships is likely the Mk 39 Vincent.  Like Aegis, she was in almost every Star League Member state fleet, including Taurian Concordat's fleet.

The Mk 39 is the basic SL version of the Vincent in TR3057R.  The Clan version is the Mk 42.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #94 on: 27 February 2014, 20:14:11 »
The Mk 39 is the basic SL version of the Vincent in TR3057R.  The Clan version is the Mk 42.
Yes, but the ship was sold to the other Star League member states. Its one most common ships listed.  I'm just saying its good shot that ship could be one of the three remaining ones.  Its 3057 image transformed it into a shoe box, the 2750 image is nice ship.  *shrugs*
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #95 on: 28 February 2014, 01:43:59 »
Yes, but the ship was sold to the other Star League member states. Its one most common ships listed.  I'm just saying its good shot that ship could be one of the three remaining ones.  Its 3057 image transformed it into a shoe box, the 2750 image is nice ship.  *shrugs*
  I doubt CGL would feel any need to make the Vincent Mk.39 (and its old art) part of one of the upcoming FRs.  The Vinnie-39 stats are already ‘in-print’ and readily available in TRO3057R, so there’s no real impetus to re-issue those stats elsewhere.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 28 February 2014, 02:21:05 »
  I doubt CGL would feel any need to make the Vincent Mk.39 (and its old art) part of one of the upcoming FRs.  The Vinnie-39 stats are already ‘in-print’ and readily available in TRO3057R, so there’s no real impetus to re-issue those stats elsewhere.

Agreed.

My Predictions are we will get the Essex I in one of them. That leaves maybe 2 More? Thing is... I can't actually remember any other unstatted early warships. I know what I would like... but it doesn't actually FIT these books.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #97 on: 28 February 2014, 07:57:23 »
Unstated? Hmm  I guess i wasn't thinking it through then.  Congress basically a stated ship with less tech in it, but I hadn't thought of that there would be a variant for it.

There was mention of Terran Hegemony launching attack against lead by Lord Thomas Cameron against the Free Worlds League, lead by the Battlecruiser Kiev.  The ships Lord Thomas attacked were new Mairk heavy WarShips as the text described.   That could be source of new ships with no stats, it be nice if it were more than than just Atreus and possible the League Class.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2014, 16:51:39 by Wrangler »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 28 February 2014, 12:05:12 »
They could do a more primitive version, call it a Vincent Mk.28 or something.  Isn't that pretty much what the Black Lion I, Congress-D, and (theoretically) the Essex I are?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #99 on: 28 February 2014, 19:44:42 »
They could do a more primitive version, call it a Vincent Mk.28 or something.  Isn't that pretty much what the Black Lion I, Congress-D, and (theoretically) the Essex I are?
  Possible, but again, where’s the need?  All of the Vincents we’ve seen in the FR:2765 series to date have been specifically called out as Mark.39s.  Indeed, AFAIK there have only ever been two specific marks of Vinnie mentioned in canon products: all Inner Sphere/Periphery/SLDF versions have been Mark.39s, and all Clan vessels have been Mark.42s.  A primitive version would be welcome, but hardly necessary, and I would imagine that the CGL writers would prefer to use any upcoming WarShip slots to fill in larger gaps in BT lore than that would appear to be.  :-\

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 28 February 2014, 20:13:47 »
Maybe it's just that I'm not as well-versed in the aero lore, but I didn't know the "regular" Black Lions were actually Black Lion IIs until the Black Lion I showed up in a product.  Was there a need there?  Maybe the need is just "we need an outdated SLN ship for this next product to keep up the pattern of the Black Lion I and Congress-D.  If there isn't one, create one."
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #101 on: 28 February 2014, 20:30:20 »
We knew from as far back as the old SLSB that James McKenna, following his taking over of the TH, commanded his fleets from a Battlecruiser class ship called the Black Lion.  What we didn't know was the actual class of the ship until the FRCC2765 came out.  But since there were no other TH Battlecruisers from the 2315 time period we did need one, it doesn't really matter whether they called it the Black Lion Class or the Hercules Class or whatever.

As for the Congress D- that fixes a discrepancy between TR2750 and TR3057- the original stats in 2750 and Bspace had NAC/30's in the Fore sides, while 3057 for some reason changed them to NAC/10s.  The Congress D was clearly an attempt to canonize the stats from TR2750. 

With only 3 more FRs to come, we already know 4 of the ships (Commonwealth, League, Athena, Essex I). I suspect the other 2 designs will be new ships, 1 belonging to either the LC or FWL (hopefully the FWL) and one belonging to the RWR or TC (hopefully it will be the Taurian Corvettes that fought the Davion fleets in the 2360s). 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #102 on: 01 March 2014, 14:47:02 »
Drifting back about the Defender, how should this ship be used?

Now I'm talking about if your using it canonly, not a causal game where you got unrealstic number of these boats on the field like 4 or something.   

I'm talking about how would you deploy these elderly but swift hitting ladies into battle with opposing force?  Their fast, they got the guns prove that they are in fact Battlecruisers, not undergunned cruisers. 

With a FedSun Task Force, would you be deploying them with Vincent Mk 39,  pair of Davion IIs (for late SL era) with couple of Congress Ds and a New Syrtis and providing air support in a attack group?  Allowing the ship to move fairly quick but have adquete firepower screen the old Lady from getting toasted by inbounds?   

I'm trying not talk about the DropShips, since i feel that there aren't enough good droppers during this era for this faction.  Vengenence being drawn in there (good for 1st Succession War in old canon) but i don't think they have good firepower unless you forming a squadron of these ships. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #103 on: 01 March 2014, 16:30:36 »
Would it be possible to duplicate what happened in fiction for the Tauran campaign because of the botched sabotage efforts?

Honestly, might use the lighter ships as the line or beaters with the Defender surging out of the backfield to exploit random key critical damage (You hit the CIC!  of maybe FCS) or to strike against out of position forces?

Anyone ran one against a Wagon Wheel, Winchester or the other Tauran ship?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #104 on: 01 March 2014, 21:21:55 »
Would it be possible to duplicate what happened in fiction for the Tauran campaign because of the botched sabotage efforts?

Honestly, might use the lighter ships as the line or beaters with the Defender surging out of the backfield to exploit random key critical damage (You hit the CIC!  of maybe FCS) or to strike against out of position forces?

Anyone ran one against a Wagon Wheel, Winchester or the other Tauran ship?

I think the Winchester would get creamed, it has the speed but it doesn't have the firepower.  Least in a one to one fight, but since the Winchester was more numerous, Defender would be out number need rely on slower or lesser armed/armored assets to screen it. 

The Wagon Wheel is tougher and more modern vessel, but its still a "big" frigate in comparison to a Battlecruiser armed like a Battleship or as good as a Aegis..

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #105 on: 01 March 2014, 21:32:52 »
As to speckulate in the future Field Reports 2765, about the Lyrans...Tharkad Class came on the scene of 2690 to bolster the Lyran aging "Fleet".  They made 28 Tharkads before the Succession Wars turned into debris.  Ships that first appeared as lost ships in TRO:3057 Revised and in the 3075 and few in the Reunification Wars book have become the backbones of their respective fleets.   Which would suggest that the modern Lyran fleet will likely be populated with Tharkads and Makos as their chief units in their fleet along with bunch of imports from Terra Hegemony.

I wonder how numerous the Commonwealth Class will be,  if it will end up being a smaller ship like a Destroyer or even a Frigate.  What do you guys/gals suspect? The rare Defender was a flagship and the Sun's first WarShip, which ended up being too much white elephant to continue to produce, switching to smaller ships like the Davion bock Is.  From the fluff of the Tharkard, that ship was to replace the aging fleet and provide alternative to imported ships. 

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 01 March 2014, 21:43:36 »
I doubt the Lyrans go small for their first ship.  I'd expect cruiser-size at least.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2014, 22:56:38 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 01 March 2014, 22:35:54 »
Rest of Sphere/Lyran thinking
Corvette/Big Dropship
Destroyer/Light Scout
Cruiser/Corvette
Heavy Cruiser/Destroyer
Battleship/Cruiser (standard WarShip)

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #108 on: 02 March 2014, 11:55:25 »
Anyone else think the Suns only building two heavy of the Defenders seems rather odd considering how many BCs and BBs the other Houses (heck you'd think they have at leat matched the Capellans)?

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 02 March 2014, 11:59:14 »
Anyone else think the Suns only building two heavy of the Defenders seems rather odd considering how many BCs and BBs the other Houses (heck you'd think they have at leat matched the Capellans)?

They built 6. It says right there in the write-up. Its just only 2 are left.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #110 on: 02 March 2014, 13:57:31 »
The New Syrtis can be viewed as the AFFS' replacement heavy after they decided that no more Defenders would be built. Although a carrier, it does still have a decent capital armament, heavier than a Du Shi Wang, for example.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #111 on: 02 March 2014, 16:16:03 »
The New Syrtis can be viewed as the AFFS' replacement heavy after they decided that no more Defenders would be built. Although a carrier, it does still have a decent capital armament, heavier than a Du Shi Wang, for example.
I remember reading in the Robinson Transport write up being mentioned as a Cruiser/Carrier.   I wonder if the current version of the New Syrtis reflects that, it was just a case of simplication of the type vessel it was.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #112 on: 02 March 2014, 21:15:16 »
Its a battlecruiser, the whole idea is to attack attack and than attack again and hope no one shots back with something really powerful. I like the idea of a fast battlecruiser with decent firepower, just don't ask it to slug it out with other big ships. I also

With that movement profile, it seems like less of a battlecruiser, and more of a "pursuit" cruiser like the Kimagure, or like the Cameron was supposed to be.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #113 on: 03 March 2014, 01:16:15 »
The two have similar roles, the main difference between a "pursuit cruiser" and a "battlecruiser" is size.  And the Defender-class ships weigh 960 kilotons.
Sunrise is Coming.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #114 on: 03 March 2014, 18:09:06 »
I just hope we get ships per class next time around, these less hand full of ships is kinda bumming me out.   Who going risk the national pride in regular naval battles?  :-\

DarthRads

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 03 March 2014, 21:43:33 »
I just hope we get ships per class next time around, these less hand full of ships is kinda bumming me out.   Who going risk the national pride in regular naval battles?  :-\

I provided the breakdown earlier by class.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #116 on: 03 March 2014, 22:46:34 »
I provided the breakdown earlier by class.
But it Didn't include the past Defender Class ship....Including the Defender itself and Zaxxon.... 

...jk...(runs)

Register