Author Topic: Hex Based Alpha Strike  (Read 2483 times)

Mongrol

• Recruit
    • Doomritual
Hex Based Alpha Strike
« on: 21 May 2017, 17:38:10 »
Just thought I'd share some pics of our latest Alpha Strike game. Although this terrain was originally created for Battletech, it also works well for Alpha Strike which is now our preferred game mode.

The boards only define alternate hexes which helps create a more natural terrain feel. Hexes are 2in wide, with 1in elevations for hills. It took me quite some time to figure out how to do water and in the end it was really simple. 5mm foam board painted blue and coated in clear resin.

pipeline

• Corporal
    • My painting blog
Re: Hex Based Alpha Strike
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 22:11:48 »
Would like to hear any thoughts/observations on using the hex map in AS.  It's something that I've been thinking about trying.

Mongrol

• Recruit
    • Doomritual
Re: Hex Based Alpha Strike
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2017, 07:15:10 »
I've never played without hexes so I can't do a comparison. But if you're coming from Battletech, hexes will feel natural. The AS rules transpose to hexes really well I think. The only slight awkwardness is that you need to remember to halve the movement and range values for hex play although our hexes are 2in wide so we're still playing at AS physical ranges.

From a terrain point of view hexes are a pain to create but wonderful to use. Since they're regular building blocks we can put down a small isolated hill or build out a much larger hill. That's probably harder to achieve with irregular shaped terrain.

That said I'm planning to build some hexless terrain since we rarely play Battletech anymore.

Register