Author Topic: Favorite Actor/Actress?  (Read 14566 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Favorite Actor/Actress?
« on: 25 January 2011, 21:34:07 »
I thought some during the recess about my favorite actors and actresses, just kinda curious to see who every one else is fond of.  No restrictions.  Living or dead, major movie star or short-lived tv actor, it doesn't matter.

Mine:
Actor: John Wayne
Actress: Summer Glau

Also, why?  My why is a few posts down.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2011, 21:57:45 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

awclawson

• Captain
Re: Favorite Actor/Actress?
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2011, 21:38:23 »
Well gonna agree on the actor.

Was raised watching his movies and I feel he is what an actor should be, tough, confident, honest and classy.

Actor: John Wayne

I am a sucker for a good singing voice.

Actress: Julie Andrews
« Last Edit: 25 January 2011, 22:16:16 by awclawson »

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy states: "There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2011, 21:46:13 »
Actor: Vincent D'Onofrio
Actress: Julie Andrews for me as well.

Jakob

« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2011, 21:52:54 »
Hard to choose an actor

It'd be either Heath Ledger (for the Joker role) or Ryan Renolds (the fact he's playing Deadpool is so perfect)

Actress... I'd have to go for Tina Fey

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2011, 21:55:44 »
Actress: Anne Hathaway
Actor: Gary Oldman

I think she's cute as a button and her movies aren't that bad.  I think he's always played a good evil guy when cast in that role.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2011, 21:57:15 »
I should probably add in an "and why?" caveat.  And I should probably go first.

I was raised on John Wayne movies and the original Star Wars trilogy.  It's hard to really explain Wayne.  He was the best, but he was too good.  He wasn't so much typecast as he only took roles that suited him, so his 'performance' is just the Duke being the Duke.

As for Summer, I'm a big fan of Firefly and have recently gotten into Sarah Connor Chronicles.  She's a great youung actress, I'm really surprised how few movies she's done to this point.  Usually you don't see people of her talent in TV for this long.  Also, she seems to be a really cool person in real life, which is always a big thing to me.  I don't care how great someone can act(or do anything else, really) if they're an ass, or just completely batshit insane.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2011, 21:59:45 »
I was raised on John Wayne movies and the original Star Wars trilogy.  It's hard to really explain Wayne.  He was the best, but he was too good.  He wasn't so much typecast as he only took roles that suited him, so his 'performance' is just the Duke being the Duke.
My dad (who worships the altar of Wayne much like my sister-in-law) once said "John Wayne never acts.  He reacts that is to say you're seeing John Wayne on the screen being himself.  That's why I love his work."

So yeah him being the Duke no matter what is accurate.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2011, 22:07:34 »
Nicholas Cage/Arnold Schwarzenegger and Julianna Moore/Natalie Portman.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2011, 22:14:26 »
I almost went with Portman, and would have if we'd been doing just movie people.  But honestly that's solely based on the Prequel trilogy, I haven't seen much of her other work (notable exceptions are The Professional and V for Vendetta).  She strikes me as a bit of a prick IRL though.  I'd go more into that but it would bring up Rule 4 issues.
Sunrise is Coming.

Winterborn

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2011, 22:14:39 »
Favorite actor: Humphrey Bogart, why there is just something about him that I think a lot of the modern day actors are missing, that and it is hard to explain why.
Favorite Actress: Nothing really comes to mind, since I have a few that are tied, and it is hard to choose a favorite, I would have to say Gena Davis/Scarlet Johanson, maybe I just have a thing about red heads.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2011, 22:20:33 »
I almost went with Portman, and would have if we'd been doing just movie people.  But honestly that's solely based on the Prequel trilogy, I haven't seen much of her other work (notable exceptions are The Professional and V for Vendetta).  She strikes me as a bit of a prick IRL though.  I'd go more into that but it would bring up Rule 4 issues.

She blew me away in Black Swan and Leon: The Professional. Portman's one of the few actresses who strikes me as genuinely talented and not just a pretty face.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2011, 22:29:40 »
I'd probably have to say Ed Norton and Natalie Portman. Ed Norton for many obvious reasons, and Portman because I'm still blown away by Black Swan.

Grim_Reaper

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2011, 22:31:05 »
cant say i have one for actress but for actor

Dead- Vincent Price

living? i guess Tom Hanks , double when directed by Ron Howard

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 25 January 2011, 22:35:15 »
There are many great choices that could be made, but for me, I'd say that favorite Actor would likely be a tie between Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart, primarily for their roles in Sergeant York, To Kill a Mockingbird and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington/It's a Wonderful Life respectively...part of me wanted to add Bogart into the mix, but the truth is, although I loved Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon (and his other films), I'm just not sure he brought those characters to life as much as these others did for their characters in the listed films...there's also Robin Williams, who has shown he has great range in his acting...or Bruce Willis if I'm thinking pure action/adventure...or Clint Eastwood...

Favorite actress is likely even harder, but just on first thoughts, I'd probably go with Michelle Pfeiffer, as her face is one of the first that comes to mind with films like Ladyhawke, Wolf and Batman Returns and so many others...otherwise, I'm just not sure...there are several actresses that I find to be beautiful or terrific actresses, but I'm just not sure I've seen any that combine both as well as Pfeiffer...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #14 on: 25 January 2011, 22:41:37 »
Do we have to choose actors or pretty faces? Does it matter if they are still alive/acting?

I'll go with Gregory Peck for my favorite actor. He's a powerful actor that can dialogue as well as he monologues. He's played some of my favorite character archetypes and made them memorable. I'm pointing at The Big Country in particular.

I'm not sure on the actress. I can't think of many actresses who were chosen for their ability to act over their other features. I'll pick Sandra Bullock. She's not the best acting talent, but she's far better than the girls we see in movies today. She can play a variety of roles but one of the movies she was in that I actually think she did a decent job of acting in was While You Were Sleeping. I watched it with my wife around the time I started falling for her, so I may not have enjoyed the movie so much but last year we watched The Proposal together and I thought it was good. The Blindside is a great movie, however, and that movie was all Sandra Bullock and no one else, so she gets points for that too.

Edit: Ruger nominated Peck before me.

Iron Wolf

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 25 January 2011, 23:14:12 »
Actor: Ian McKellen
Actress: Sigourney Weaver

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2011, 23:22:46 »
I'm a big fan of:

Peter Woodard       
Devon Aoki 
Drew Barrymore
Gerald Okamura
Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez
Cary Tagawa
Donnie Yen
Hakim "The Machine" Alston
Al Leung
Jason Statham
Tim Curry - seriously, no straight man other than Tim can look that good in panties.
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #17 on: 25 January 2011, 23:28:18 »
Of all time, I would have to lean towards John Wayne and John Cusack for the actors and Meg Ryan for actress. As for current big time actors/actresses there aren't many I like. Johnny Depp or Robert Downey Jr. for the actor and perhaps Natalie Portman (whom I have liked since first seeing her in 'The Professional') or Anne Hathaway (she's absolutely adorable and can do about every role) for the actress.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2013, 10:52:00 by Stormcrow »
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOMâ„¢

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 25 January 2011, 23:46:50 »
John Cusack...really? He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag! I really depise him in almost everything he's been in (Gross Pointe Blank was a travesty).

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2011, 00:06:13 »
Ever since seeing the movie Election, I've had a rule about Reese Witherspoon that I'd see ever movie that she was in just like Charlize Theron after the Devil's Advocate. Sure, I broke that later after several movies: there is no way that I'm watching Legally Blonde 2.

Anyhow, my favorite male actor is . . . I have no idea. Honestly, there are actresses that I'll bare looking at even if the movie is horrible, but it's has more to do with character than anything for me with men.

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2011, 00:31:56 »
Legally Blonde...now that movie reminded me soooo much of my high-school chemistry teacher.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2011, 00:48:08 »
Can't believe this happened. Anyway I've got favorite actors of different sorts but I'll post them all.

Actor: Tom Cruise
Actress: Too many to list.
Voice Actor: Scott McNeil
Voice Actress: Wendee Lee and Cristina Vee
Seiyuu(M): Mamoru Miyano
Seiyuu(F): Nana Mizuki
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 00:53:59 by SulliMike23 »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2011, 00:50:24 »
I didn't even think about Voice Actors.  Mark Hamill, hands down.  It's enough that he's the definitive Joker, but he's so much more too.
Sunrise is Coming.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #23 on: 26 January 2011, 01:05:35 »
Sho Kasugi: the best Ninja Actor of the 80's!

Actresses? Um...*hmm*  Cannot really think of one...I mean, I can think of some great roles, but...when I see
an actress do a different role from the one I liked her in, often times, I am rather disappointed..(seems to me like
Actresses get one GOOD role, that they work in perfectly, then spend the rest of their career coasting on that role's coat-tails)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #24 on: 26 January 2011, 03:10:47 »
Voice actors I could go on and on about forever. Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, Corey Burton, Clancy Brown, Phil LaMarr, Jennifer Hale, Tara Strong, Michael Rosenbaum, Mark Hammil, Dana Delaney, and CCH Pounder are fantastic. Then there's a few others that are awesome but I've only heard them in their capacity as one role.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #25 on: 26 January 2011, 08:13:11 »
Voice artists are being considered for this thread?  Okay top 3 for me are Rob Paulsen, Steve Blum, and Mark Hammil but yeah there's way too many awesome talent out there to just stay at 1.

pagan

• Sergeant
  • Grizzly 2
« Reply #26 on: 26 January 2011, 12:08:58 »
Actor: John Wayne / Patrick Stewart

Actress: Sandra Bullock

You can either run with the Ghost Bears or die running from us....... your choice.

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #27 on: 26 January 2011, 12:16:48 »
I'm going to give a shout-out to Amy Adams for favorite actress
Favorite actor?  Cary Grant
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Daghda

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 26 January 2011, 12:18:25 »
I like Johnny Depp.  He seems to be able to fit any role he is put in. 
I am also a fan of Paul Giamatti and Christopher Lloyd.  I like character actors...

As actresses go I am a big fan of Audrey Hepburn.  I think she was one of the most attractive women ever to be on film.  Apparently I am not alone in that... consider me one of the cult.  As modern actresses go I don't really have a stand out favorite.  I like Julia Stiles to some degree... might be a bit hard to explain why though.  I'll think on that one and get back to all of you on that.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #29 on: 26 January 2011, 13:25:27 »
There probably hasn't been an American film actor I've really cared for in almost twenty years. 

My pick is going to Her Royal Tsundereness, Miss Rie Kugimiya.

Now that I have won this thread, I will also point out that I loveAudrey Heburn and consider her to be one of the most beautiful & talented women of all time.  I'm also a fan of Judy Garland, Jimmy Stewart, Danny Kay, & Fred Astaire.  They just don't have actors with that much real, human ability anymore.

As far as American voice actors go,  I think Crispin Freeman has a great voice and a flair for the dramatic,and I really think Veronica Taylor has an amazing range of voices.  Also, I find myself mesmerized by Monica Rial's voice, no matter how many things she's cast in.

Register