Author Topic: Xbox Kinect?  (Read 4417 times)

FedCom4Ever

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • NW Classic Battletech
    • Northwest Classic Battletech
Xbox Kinect?
« on: 26 January 2011, 20:48:48 »
I'm going to be getting a Kinect soon and wanted to know what you folks think of it. Most people I've talked to about it say it's totally cool and that after a straight week of playing they're bodies are sore. Now that it's been out for a while is it still as fun or is it just gathering dust?
Catalyst Demo Team Member #68
Visit Northwest Classic Battletech on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/FedCom4ever
My Battletech Photos:
http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/Giskard01/FedCom4Ever%20Painted%20Battlemechs/

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
Re: Xbox Kinect?
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2011, 10:32:09 »
Mine collected about a month's worth of dust due to me fracturing my ankle, but I was having a blast with it before the injury.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 13:16:58 »
I would love to get one... not sure if it will happen or not, much of what I get to play these days is what I review for publication.

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 13:58:59 »
We got one last weekend but haven't really had time to play with it much. My oldest really loved it, youngest prefers to play Lego Batman/Star Wars
CDT Agent #319

Drufause

• Master Sergeant
  • We were never here.
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2011, 14:04:16 »
Im looking forward to getting one for my PC (yes people are working on stuff for it)
Combat Command Counters Thread
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0
quote by OgreBattle on 09/08/2011
"Knowledge and social skills usually use separate attributes, and often when you're good at one you take the other as your dump stat."

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2011, 14:42:40 »
It wears the poop out of you....great fun!
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 16:46:51 »
Im looking forward to getting one for my PC (yes people are working on stuff for it)

If by "people" you mean Microsoft, then yes. They've announced they're going to release signed PC drivers and the Kinect SDK.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 16:59:15 »
Its pretty cool, but its not really my thing (I was never into Wii, either, for the record).  If I'm going to do vidio games, I'll do that.  If I'm going to be active, I'll do that.

Technicly, its pretty slick.  Its sensitive enough that you can't do it with a baby in your arms, which is rough, since it makes your shape all funny.  Though it didn't pick up my son when I finaly put him down, so if you're under 2'8" or so, its not for you.  The interface is nice, and easy to use, and its intuitive and simple enough that my mom (who's technology level is largely frozen at the abacus) was able to pick it up.  So its a good product.  But its not to my taste.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

JRP3477

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2011, 19:29:32 »
Are there limits to the games you can play, such as the Call of Duty or Medal of Honor series? I don't much about it myself and a friend was asking me about it at work the other day.
Really!! Seriously!!

They don't let me make the important decisions, just the life and death ones.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2011, 22:58:09 »
The games are designed to work with the Kinect from the start, otherwise a game would have to be patched to work with the Kinect.

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2011, 12:12:38 »
My sister got one for christmas.

It is a fun piece of technology. I enjoy seeing what enterprising individuals can come up with(saw one guy using it to do real-time 3-D imaging)

As for gaming, it is fun. Much more physical than a Wii, since you actually have to, you know, move. The "Kinect Adventures" or whatever its called game it comes bundled with is cute, but wears thin fast.
The Kinect Sports game, however, is much more fun. Especially when played with a friend.

Still, I think it is lacking that "Killer App". I can see people getting it more for the fitness programs--sort of like how the Wii surged when the Wii Fit came out. Other than that, the games out for it now are all just gimmicks. There isn't that "Gotta-Have-It" title yet.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

SLDF_Spector

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2011, 12:41:36 »
We got one for the family when they came out.  Great except for the space you need and getting it calibrated sometimes.  My youngest kids love it.  I would say it's ideal for kids that love to jump around.
One day I will have a woman who's name doesn't end in jpg, bmp, or png.

Register