Author Topic: Scanner - Satan's Creation  (Read 2342 times)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Scanner - Satan's Creation
« on: 28 January 2011, 21:31:30 »
For Christmas i got a printer/scanner/fax machine.  The printer part works fine, but I've had issues with the scanner that I just can't reconcile with anything except demonic possession. 

When I first tried to use it, I could not see anything I scanned.  I had selected "send files to computer", and it sent them, but it would not tell me where, nor what it had named to file so I could search for it.  I was able to bypass this particular bit of ****** by saving files to a USB drive plugged directly into the the machine, but this was a pain in the ass.  I had to manually move the drive back to the PC to access files.

Tonight I decided to try again.  When I selected "save to computer", something happened that had never happened before.  Not only did the file save to My Documents, but it opened in Acrobat and displayed the scanned image!  I was pleased.  Except that the file was upside down.

No big deal, right?  Instead of trying to flip the file in Acrobat, which seems impossible, I flipped the page over and scanned it again.  It came out upside down.  Double-you.  Tee.  Eff. 

I then did some experiments.  Since I was trying to scan two pages, I scanned them in various combinations and checked the results.  Whether I scanned text left or text right didn't seem to matter.  I got various images of first page upside down, second page right, first page right, second upside down, both right and both upside down.  Actually, I only got the both right result once. 

Finally, I came to the conclusion that the scanner was reading the page once, first by sweeping to the left, then the second page back to the right, which was what was producing the upside down effects.  Happy with myself, I deleted all the prior garbage, scanned the first page, flipped the second and scanned it.

I shit you not, the result came out second page upside down, first page ****** SIDEWAYS!!! [tickedoff] [tickedoff] [tickedoff] [tickedoff] [tickedoff] [tickedoff] [tickedoff]

I refuse to use this scanner anymore until it is thoroughly exercised.

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Scanner - Satan's Creation
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2011, 21:34:03 »
*arrives in thread*

I was summoned?
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Damage Inc.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2011, 21:59:50 »
The answer is simple, Jal.  You plugged it in backwards.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2011, 22:08:19 »
I think you got yourself one of those Australian printers.  I think it would work fine down there.  Maybe you can trade it in.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2011, 00:02:17 »
Maybe it's just you... ;).  though I've found scanning through photoshop never gives me problems, not familiar with scanners doing your problems.