Author Topic: Initiative rules  (Read 1918 times)

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
Initiative rules
« on: 28 September 2019, 13:04:59 »
I forget which options are needed to give the player control of which units move when and fire when allowing spotting without initiative interfering.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Legius

• Recruit
Re: Initiative rules
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2019, 14:59:16 »
I forget which options are needed to give the player control of which units move when and fire when allowing spotting without initiative interfering.

Make sure individual initiative is off.

At least I think that is what you are asking for. I'm tired and that sentence was a bit hard to parse.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2019, 06:25:48 »
Yep, what Legius said: If you want to be flexible with the spotting for indirect fire make sure you have the box for individual initiative unchecked.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2019, 23:32:46 »
Thanks guys!
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2023, 21:02:59 »
Necrothreading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two questions...

1) When you are in the lobby, and you click on "Configure..." on a player or Bot, the every top item you can adjust is initiative, by a positive or negative number. I just want to be sure that i am doing this correctly. If I input a positive (2) on that player or bot with have advantage(tm) or disadvantage(tm) on their initiative roles (i.e., they should be moving more units after the majority of other moves have been made, as if they had an advantage bonus to initiative rolls [example 25th Division vs multiple SHDL commands, JS:TBD Pg 141])

2) How exactly does the Tactics Skill affect game play (from both team initiative and individual actions during each phase of the round)?

Factoids: 0:48.0, Basic options: Team initiative checked
« Last Edit: 19 February 2023, 21:04:44 by ThePW »
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2023, 19:32:09 »
Necrothreading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two questions...

1) When you are in the lobby, and you click on "Configure..." on a player or Bot, the every top item you can adjust is initiative, by a positive or negative number. I just want to be sure that i am doing this correctly. If I input a positive (2) on that player or bot with have advantage(tm) or disadvantage(tm) on their initiative roles (i.e., they should be moving more units after the majority of other moves have been made, as if they had an advantage bonus to initiative rolls [example 25th Division vs multiple SHDL commands, JS:TBD Pg 141])

2) How exactly does the Tactics Skill affect game play (from both team initiative and individual actions during each phase of the round)?

Factoids: 0:48.0, Basic options: Team initiative checked

Both 1 and 2 give bonuses to the initiative roll. So if you set the bot's option to 2, it will roll 2D6+2 for initiative every turn. Which means it can still lose initiative on any given turn. If you want one side or the other to always win initiative, set it to a suitably large number.

The Tactics skill is related to MekHQ and Against the Bot, and connects to the Commander Initiative unofficial option in MegaMek.  Using these options together, the Tactics skill becomes the unit's bonus, and the highest bonus on a team becomes that team's overall initiative bonus. From there it works like above. It doesn't effect individual actions within a phase, as the order a unit is used is determined by that unit's owner (unless using the unofficial individual initiative rules, which would mess with everything else here too).
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel