Author Topic: Multifriendlyplayer  (Read 1428 times)

Blaer

• Recruit
Multifriendlyplayer
« on: 19 June 2018, 00:32:24 »
So... me and some friends wanna run an AtB campaign where we all kinda to start have our own char and mech etc... is this at all possible (can i control a mech on his side in an AtB battle?) maybe im naive and need to hit the forums harder... but I thought Id ask quick too...

Ps. So stocked about thus game... omg where have i been forever....

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Multifriendlyplayer
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2018, 07:43:59 »
It kind of depends on how exactly you want to go about this.

The potentially easiest way is to have one MekHQ instance/campaign then when you get missions launch MegaMek as usual but then have your friends join from their own MegaMek client and then right click and assign the appropriate mechs to the appropriate players.  I've actually done this a few times myself but not in AtB games but to have MekHQ track a unit/do most of the book keeping for me.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2018, 08:41:30 »
Yeah, you'll need to settle on one person to manage the campaign-level stuff.

Then, when you go to resolve a scenario in Megamek, do as monbvol said.

The only caveat is that the mechs you gave to your buddies may show up as destroyed in the post-battle summary. So you'll need to manually uncheck the "total loss" checkbox for the ones that didn't actually get blown up.

Blaer

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2018, 12:22:21 »
That simple!? Sweeet! Thanks for the swift responses!

Aimen

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2018, 11:24:21 »
Extra trick around other player mech destruction: most scenarios have pretty generous win conditions. Leave the game setting victory condition as 100% destruction, and switch on “skip phases when forced victory occurs” (or whatever it is) rule. In the turn you identify victory or defeat, get all your friends to /listEntities and then /traitor all units to client 0 (which will be the person running the server). When initiative rolls round on the next turn (with all of the units having been passed to client 0 in the End Phase of the previous turn), use /victory to force the win, the game will then skip all phases in that turn, and you’ll win without erroneous unit destruction and pilot death.

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2018, 02:30:26 »
I have a question for the devs, why isn't there a way to combine the mul files from multiple clients manually and use that file to 'resolve' the battle results?

I found that only the mul file saved from the end of battle can resolve scenarios. The problem with this is that if units are traitored, or if damage is not correctly saved, or if ammo was changed in Megamek, etc... The mul file is incorrect and difficult to fix.

If the mul was easily editable and easily re-absorbed back into HQ, all improperly recorded battles would be trivial to fix. Why not do this?
« Last Edit: 16 July 2018, 02:32:29 by McSlayer »
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2018, 09:35:15 »
Probably because no one has enough time. There are a lot of things we all want in MM & friends but few active devs with even fewer amounts of free time. That is why many of the contributors create the features they want (either by learning Java, or having some experience with a programming language).

So, if you can't wait for the devs to get to it learn Java and take a crack at it. I got tired of waiting for features I wanted so that's what I did :P :thumbsup: