Author Topic: Trying to use the custom data guide and need help  (Read 879 times)

Delphonse

• Recruit
Trying to use the custom data guide and need help
« on: 21 April 2023, 11:36:51 »
Hey everyone I got my private server set up and am trying to add my custom maps to it and it looks like I have to do it with custom data so I found the custom data guide on megameks site but when I do the steps I don't see my maps.

I am pretty sure its because I don't know what some of the phrases mean and googling them did not help all that much.

I don't really know what a home directory is I downloaded my file to my desktop I don't know if that changes any of the commands they have me put in. I tried doing it straight as written and that did not get me anywhere then I tried putting the files they wanted in one of my C: drive users locations and that did not work. I really have no clue what I am doing and I am sure its a simple thing but yea if anyone could give me some tips on how to setup custom data to my private server I would appreciate it.

let me know what info and pics you need and I will supply them!

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: Trying to use the custom data guide and need help
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2023, 12:24:20 »
If you want the server to have them then you'd need to add the files into the Data folder where the server directory is running from.

Maps go into the Boards folder.
Best to create a "Custom Maps" folder for them in the DATA-BOARDS-UNOFFICIAL folder.

Units - Create a folder called Customs and put the various MTF and BLK unit files in there.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Delphonse

• Recruit
Re: Trying to use the custom data guide and need help
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2023, 13:10:22 »
So I am not sure where the folders would be at since when I made the server I used the URL of the download link like it said in the guide for making the server so I am not entirely sure where the megamek folders are that the server is using o.o

I think that might be my biggest hurdle if I knew where that main folder was located I could probably figure out how the rest of this works.

Update #1- I found out how to find the folders on the server but I don't know how to add things to the server folders since they are not like regular folders on a computer unless they have regular folders on the computer and I don't know where those are. i kept doing cd- (name of folder) then ls -lha to see what was in those folders and I found that my data folder has a ton of repeated folders most likely from me messing up and doing it over and over again thinking it would update not add more folders. I don't know how to start from scratch without resetting it all up which honestly would only take a second but I feel like I would be doing trial and error like that for hours since I don't know where some physical folders are that I can just drag and drop the boards and stuff into o.o

sorry this is very new to me I don't have any prior experience with this so that is why I can only assume its easy for someone with knowledge lol

Update #2 Wow it took some time and I used Chatgpt to guide me through what I was supposed to do and I got it to work! wow that was a lot of work xD
« Last Edit: 21 April 2023, 20:18:05 by Delphonse »