Author Topic: Rocket Arty?  (Read 1664 times)

kashim12

• Sergeant
Rocket Arty?
« on: 30 March 2018, 18:46:13 »
Question for you all.  Is their any Rocket artillery?  with the same ranges as the three cannon arty's?  I know we got RL 5's,10's & such but I don;t know if they have the equivalent range.  Thanks in advance.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Rocket Arty?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2018, 18:54:33 »
Should've gone just to fan designs and rules rather than combat vehicles.

But to answer, no there is not rocket artillery in BattleTech, if you're thinking something like the Soviet Grad rocket launcher. There is missile artillery though, in form of Arrow IV launcher.
The Arrow IV is intended to fire homing missiles, but it also has non-homing rounds that act like normal artillery shells (eg they are ballistic missiles).

kashim12

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2018, 13:34:35 »
Thank you!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2018, 18:25:32 »
Well you could look at Extended LRMs if you are looking to fire at distance
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

kashim12

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2018, 22:10:40 »
Trying to go with the "primitive, but it works" for my faction while concealing star league tech.  I figure rocket arty would be an extremely cheap and easy force multiplier for my troops plus refined autocannons like extended range AC-20s.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2018, 05:34:45 »
For an extended range AC/20, just use an Artillery Cannon.

kashim12

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2018, 07:59:43 »
For an extended range AC/20, just use an Artillery Cannon.

I was thinking we have ER lasers why not ER autocannons?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2018, 08:39:21 »
I was thinking we have ER lasers why not ER autocannons?
There are actually: Hypervelocity ACs. They don't come in class-20 though.
Also, they are perhaps the single worst weapon in BT, they explode on to-hit roll of 2, they weight a lot for marginal range increases and have less ammo per ton. Let's just say you are better off with light or normal Gauss rifle if you need "ER AC".

kashim12

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2018, 09:58:22 »
There are actually: Hypervelocity ACs. They don't come in class-20 though.
Also, they are perhaps the single worst weapon in BT, they explode on to-hit roll of 2, they weight a lot for marginal range increases and have less ammo per ton. Let's just say you are better off with light or normal Gauss rifle if you need "ER AC".

Okay, That is just stupid!  I am better off with re-engineered autocannons with ER!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2018, 13:37:41 »
Technically, the RL-10 has an extended range of 24, about the same range as Long for LRMs.

It also has the longest range bracket @ 18 hexes TW, but if you want consistency, try the Mech Mortar.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016