Author Topic: Ideas on Special Force Abilities and other concepts?  (Read 670 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Ideas on Special Force Abilities and other concepts?
« on: 23 November 2023, 14:39:47 »
I'm looking to start a once-monthly Clan campaign for the next year for my weekly group.

I'm looking to start them up cleaning up some Dark Caste which leads to a small Burrock problem.

However, I'm thinking of how to work their Special Abilities.  I'm thinking Camoflauge is perfect, but I'm wondering if they should have a little more. 

I'm thinking something like "Trail-Marking" where if they are the Defender they can make trails that almost act like Roads for Ground Vehicles and Infantry, but not for Mechs.  These "trails" must be set up before hand in proper routes, and they just negate the penalties for moving through those hexes.  So, Hovercraft through Woods, Support Vehicles on Clear Terrrain, etc, would act without problems.

Another is an interaction with Elementals.  Is there a Force Ability or Special Pilot Ability which can improve interactions with them, such as allowing them to Move or Shoot on Dismount, or Mount at the beginning of the Movement Phase?

If these, or something like these, already exist, please point them to me, otherwise critique?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Ideas on Special Force Abilities and other concepts?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2023, 16:27:37 »
I have a thread down in fan rules for Infantry SPAs: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,59999.0.html

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2023, 23:00:25 »
I have a thread down in fan rules for Infantry SPAs: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,59999.0.html

So nothing for the Mechwarriors...

Elementals will just be an augment unit, assigned at need.  I'm not sure I'm going to have them developed by the players.  I'll bring it up.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2023, 21:41:53 »
So, adding the Elementals as an option to be added so the Mechwarriors would be a Nova Point Commander.

Here's the ideas for what I wrote up based on what I said above, and after communicating with the other local DM on it.  The Cost Values are based on the same pricing for Special Pilot Abilities listed in Alpha Strike and Campaign Operations.

Pony Express
Cost: 1
Battle Armor Squad may Mechanize with an Omnimech or Omnivehicle at the start of the Mech’s Movement so long as both have not yet Moved this Turn.

Name basically taken from the trick riding mounting that the characters in the old Young Riders tv show used to do.  It was based on the a Pony Express stable and some new staff.

Hop ‘n’ Pop
Cost: 2
Infantry unit may either Move or make a Weapon Attack the same Turn they dismount from a transport, Omnimech, or OmniVehicle.

Name taken from parachutist slang for when the chute is automatically deployed upon exiting the craft.  Sounded appropriate for hopping off the transport and popping Jump Jets or Guns.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 02 December 2023, 15:44:24 by Charistoph »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2023, 04:16:27 »
As long as the BA squad leaders have Sergeant in Motion/From the Hip (and/or Pull it IN!), I think that could work, though I recommend only one is necessary for the carrier (probably Pony Express).

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2023, 17:00:35 »
As long as the BA squad leaders have Sergeant in Motion/From the Hip (and/or Pull it IN!)...

Not currently available.  These are based on Campaign Operations costs, and your suggestions are more Time of War.

...I think that could work, though I recommend only one is necessary for the carrier (probably Pony Express).

The Carrier won't be getting these.  These are just options for the Elementals.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2023, 18:12:38 »
No worries... it's your table! :)