Author Topic: Clan Homeworld sub-cultures and origin traits  (Read 1025 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Clan Homeworld sub-cultures and origin traits
« on: 06 March 2024, 06:52:50 »
(Disclaimer, mostly talking pre-WoR here)

So far I've mostly seen Clan individuals almost solely characterized by which Clan they belong to. I rarely see anything that might differentiate them by native world.

But the Clan Homeworlds are quite diverse. I can definitely see some individuals of any caste who have spent a lot of time on a specific world being influenced by it. In turn I can easily imagine there being some sub-cultures of the lower castes.

I'd love to brainstorm this a bit.

Some examples and possibilities, Sub-cultures/cultural traits:

Arcadia: The capital city of Rivera stands as neutral ground for the Clans. A favorite of merchants and spacers. It's business-like yet laid back characteristics make it an easy place to get a decent meal and interact with members of other Clans more freely than found in most other places. As Rivera is a melting pot of cultural influences, it also showcases some strange choices in food and art and ideas that represent inspiration pulled from multiple Clans.

Possible Trait Ideas: Some secondary languages? Negotiation?

Babylon: Away from the major industrial centers, life on Babylon is centered around the desert. Desert cultures predominate here, which pulled liberally from several Spheroid desert cultures in the early days of settlement. The Clans, fearful of dark caste hiding in the vast deserts and mountains, tightly control water resources and advanced technology that they allowed out of their sight. As a result those laborers who raise talasi or mine distant deposits tend to dress in appropriate desert clothing, make do with fairly limited technology and water supplies. Life for these individuals is hard, and violence is not uncommon in emergencies when water resources have run out for some ranchers or work groups. Although the Clans never admit it, their own policies contribute to this tough survival mindset away from the urban and industrial centers. However, they are reluctant to change them, and instead simply focus on prosecuting violent offenders of the law after such crimes have been committed.

Possible Trait ideas: Desert culture? Desert survival skills?

Dagda

Those who have lived and worked in Dagda's underwater operations have developed their own mindset about many things. Water survival, swimming are all prized skills. Individuals who have spent a lot of time on the freefloating fishing platforms or working below the waves have retained many cultural aspects that might remind an off-worlder of sailing cultures from ancient Terra. Rituals like burials at sea, tall sea stories and tales of surviving storms and disasters dominate. Those that spent time in or on the oceans tend to be a tough lot, compared to the landlubbers who live in Borodino or Graz on land. They also tend to be a no-nonsense people that have little time for Clan propaganda or cloud-headed administrators.

Possible Trait ideas: Swimming, water survival? Toughness? Stubborn?

Homer

Nowhere is the Cloisters' power and influence so visible and obvious on the landscape than in the communities and cities of Homer. Centers of worship of all types crowd city skylines. Even those who are not members of a Cloister are likely to have neighbors and team members who are. An array of religious holidays and festivals appear here that are difficult to find anywhere else in the Clan Homeworlds. Due to these influences, people raised on Homer tend to be more spiritually-minded and curious than the more xenophobic-minded peoples of many other Clan Homeworlds. In addition to that, the complex belief systems has also led to more complex communication. On most other cultures, members of the Clans tend to communicate in a very honest, straightforward and efficient fashion that has become Clan standard english. On Homer, the influence of religious texts has muddied communication. It is not uncommon for idioms and expressions of Terran religious origin to slip into daily conversation. Or for individuals to blend words from different languages in with the Clan style english.

Possible Trait ideas: Knowledge of different languages, cultures and belief systems? Patience?

Marshall

Within the Marshall system, the gas giant Xian has a moon, Diamondstar. with an atmosphere, scrub flora and a great deal of mineral wealth. The people who live and work on Diamondstar often feel like they are living on a far flung outpost of the Clans. The people living on Diamondstar admire their view of the gas giant in the sky, and images and videos of Diamondstar sunsets are incredibly popular on other Clan worlds. Life on Diamondstar is tough however. Most operations are centered around mineral extracting, shipping cargo loads back to Marshall. While most of the necessities of life have to be imported. As a result the workers of Diamondstar are unusually independent minded for a Clan people. Since assistance or supplies may be delayed hours or days for any reason, the workers of Diamondstar have often had to improvise solutions to problems based on what is available to them. This has led to a tough scrounging mentality and people who are more likely to take the initiative than the other castes of other Clans. As a result, the Clans often view these people as potentially dangerous for their tendency to prize problem-solving over Clan tradition and proper ways of doing things. Yet it is also seen as a ripe recruiting ground for other distant mining or exploration missions that require a more independent mindset than the average Clan laborer or technician possesses.

Possible Trait ideas: Tends to take the initiative, scroungers?

There are a few ideas. Pulling from the planetary descriptions in the book Warriors of Kerensky, though I absolutely took liberties with each, particularly Babylon. Thoughts? Others?
« Last Edit: 06 March 2024, 10:35:57 by Alan Grant »

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
Re: Clan Homeworld sub-cultures and origin traits
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2024, 07:53:17 »
Ironhold

Full Falcon ownership

Forestry, Falconry, Camping Survivalism, Woodworking

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2024, 08:53:42 »
Ironhold

Full Falcon ownership

Forestry, Falconry, Camping Survivalism, Woodworking

Where are you getting forestry, woodworking and camping survivalism from? Is that based on something from a canon source? Just curious.

I should have noted in my original post also. I'm trying to keep this in the Clan Chatterweb, rather than it being perceived as a fan article and potentially moved by a moderator. So trying to root it in canon material and discussion/speculation that's like 1 step removed from canon sources and material. But stays on this side of the line. I think the way we do that is by continuing to frame it as a discussion based on canon sources.

The intent is mostly just fun speculative discussion on the topic.

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2024, 10:31:22 »
I love this thread! Alan, I'm assuming you are using the traits from A Time of War and Companion?

Strana Mechty (Katyusha City):

It's a big city, all the clans are there, and I imagine it is a jumble of bureaucracy, and a population well over a million people, which means there will be cracks. I imagine that your average Clanner growing up there knows how to navigate the various systems, has more social connections, and better access to things. Similarly, I also imagine there is crime, organized and not, and connections with the Dark Caste, The Society, etc. The old Mechwarrior's Guide to the Clans gives some rules on finding things on the black market.

Traits: Connections, Equipped, Reputation, possibly Dark Secret and Implant (I'm thinking easier access to EI implant).

It would be interesting to re-think the Property trait from a Clan perspective. Even in the (modern) military, with assigned housing, not all property is the same. Are you assigned barracks? A one/two/three bedroom apartment? A home? Close to the Hall of Khans? Does the Ebon Keshik (or Katyusha, or any special unit) live differently?

Other planets -
I've got a couple ideas for Barcella, Circe, and Marshall but I'll have to post them later.

Thanks for starting this!
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2024, 10:39:50 »
I love this thread! Alan, I'm assuming you are using the traits from A Time of War and Companion?

Thanks for starting this!

I hadn't gotten quite that 'official' with it yet. It's more 'out loud' brainstorming of possible trait concepts. I know some of the ideas I put down do happen to actually coincide with actual traits from the books, but others are more speculative thoughts that I haven't aligned with actual game traits. But you and others are welcome to take this down more game codified paths, sure.

Your welcome! I think this could be fun to explore. I like the potential to flesh out lower caste characters with some local cultural flair. But also potentially freeborn warriors with Clan Homeworld histories/backgrounds as well.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2024, 10:45:51 by Alan Grant »

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2024, 12:20:06 »
I like the potential to flesh out lower caste characters with some local cultural flair. But also potentially freeborn warriors with Clan Homeworld histories/backgrounds as well.

Gotcha! Going to work a bit more on the ideas I mentioned for the other planets, but thought I would add to Strana Mechty, esp. Katyusha City, given what you wrote.

I'd imagine like most capitals, freebirths (and trueborns) have a sense that they are at the heart of the Clan worlds and have their fingers on the pulse of what's happening. There is probably a little haughtiness, regardless of Clan of origin, and a sense of entitlement because they live in THE city (I wouldn't be surprised if like New York, SF, London - Katyusha City is probably just referred to as "the City" by locals).

Likewise, I would imagine whether they live in Katyusha City or not, a possible trait of freebirths/trueborn from Strana Mechty would confidence, independence (as a personality trait), arrogance (what happens here is more important than what happens on Arcadia, Babylon, Huntress, etc.).

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2024, 13:18:55 »

This is excellent topic, Alan. Thanks for coming up with it!

First couple of things in general: I'm confident that among majority of Clan civilians many different languages are spoken and different religions are practiced in the privacy of their homes and off duty. SLDF English is lingua franca among all Clans and is spoken by everyone but it's often just one of two or more languages that average civilian would speak.

We know of at least one case when Clan leadership straight up implemented official freedom of religion in their realm (Escorpion Imperio) and I don't think they came up with it out of the blue so it was most likely something that existed already back in the Homeworlds in most places among civilians. Cloud Cobras were just the ones who put most work into religious matters and did it officially.

We know that Clan civilians put a lot of effort into art, painting being more prominent one and that they proudly drew inspiration from the planets they inhabited so I imagine that landscape painting in Clan Homeworlds would reach the heights of artistry most mankind would think was impossible before seeing it for themselves.

----------------------
----------------------

You made great points about Dagda, water and oceans would be center of everything.

Water sports of all kinds (swimming, diving, surfing, sailing, etc..) would be extremely popular. Water polo should have the same status there as football does among Ghost Bears.

Tall sea tales would be even more widespread than you suggested because they were working not just on the surface but also deep underwater in depth and darkness and that would spawn many scary sea stories of all kinds.

----------------------
----------------------

Roche (Temple of Nine Muses)

Roche was originally unwanted planet and it's a harsh and desolate place. People living here rarely leave the safety of their settlements and cities for long without good reason and when they do venture out they do so in large self sufficient convoys which can roam for very long time which gives outsiders false impression of nomadic lifestyle.

In addition to regular duties local Warriors are frequently ready to render assistance to anyone who ends up in a pinch if they are close by due to constant hostile environmental conditions, bad weather and dangerous wildlife.

People rely on each other and nobody goes anywhere outside the settlement even for a shot walk without telling someone about it first despite having communication gear on them.

Visitors from off world are rare and when they do arrive they are swamped with questions, trade offers and free rounds of drinks.

Temple of Nine Muses is hotbed of historic knowledge and a lot of the locals take up reading or researching history as a hobby.

Getting the job done in such conditions comes first, how it's done exactly is distant second, civilians don't bother explaining how the do the job and are rarely if ever asked about it by their superiors.

Scary and creepy folk tales about strange and mysterious things that stalk the dangerous outback are prevalent and every community has at least one and often many more, campfire conversations are quite something over there.

Traits: ruggedness, community, survivalism, teamwork, bookishness, jurry rigging, planning ahead....

« Last Edit: 06 March 2024, 15:21:24 by Fire Scorpion IIC »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2024, 15:21:48 »
Love the topic, should we split it into Pentagon Worlds and Kerensky Cluster? Possibly with a periphery-esque minor worlds outsider group. This will be fun!

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2024, 16:16:20 »
Love the topic, should we split it into Pentagon Worlds and Kerensky Cluster? Possibly with a periphery-esque minor worlds outsider group. This will be fun!

There's a Clan Space Worlds table in the back of the book Warriors of Kerensky (Edited, this NOT from WoR which is what I said originally, wrong book!). That lists them all alphabetically. That might be more useful in the navigation sense (finding what you are looking for in the list).

Clan Homeworlds
Albion
Arcadia
Atreus
Babylon
Barcella
Bearclaw
Brim
Circe
Dagda
Delios
Eden
Foster
Gatekeeper
Glory
Grant's Station
Hector
Hellgate
Hoard
Homer
Huntress
Ironhold
Kirin
Londerholm
Lum
Marshall
New Kent
Niles
Paxon
Priori
Roche
Shadow
Sheridan
Strana Mechty
Strata Domingo
Tameron
Tathis
Tiber
Tokasha
Tanquill
Vinton
York

Non-Clan Homeworlds (separate list perhaps? Deep Periphery?)
« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 05:47:24 by Alan Grant »

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2024, 18:49:12 »
This is excellent topic, Alan. Thanks for coming up with it!

First couple of things in general: I'm confident that among majority of Clan civilians many different languages are spoken and different religions are practiced in the privacy of their homes and off duty. SLDF English is lingua franca among all Clans and is spoken by everyone but it's often just one of two or more languages that average civilian would speak.

We know of at least one case when Clan leadership straight up implemented official freedom of religion in their realm (Escorpion Imperio) and I don't think they came up with it out of the blue so it was most likely something that existed already back in the Homeworlds in most places among civilians. Cloud Cobras were just the ones who put most work into religious matters and did it officially.
These are great points about Dagda and a great write up on Roche.

I want to add on to some points about other languages and religion.

In terms of religion, its very clear from source material that a number of clans were spiritual/religious from the very founding of the Clans: Nova Cat, Coyote, Goliath Scorpion, but especially Cloud Cobra, with founding Khan Khatib referred to as the "Pope in Exile". So while Nicholas may have frowned and growled at religion, its very clear that it was accepted - even encouraged - by four entire Clans - trueborn and freeborn alike.

Not sure how to fit that in to the traits that Alan is asking about, but I would think that any world that has a high presence of those clans is going to have the trait "spiritual" or "religious" or something.

I think the issue of languages spoken other than SLDF/Clan English is complicated. Operation KLONDIKE is explicit that use of any language other than English - except for academic purposes - was severely punished ("New Order", p. 102).

But, that said, its hard to keep languages down. I would imagine that there are still pockets of non-English speakers (esp. Japanese, Swedish, Hungarian, German), but that lacking formal education in these languages (because its illegal), they have morphed into creole or vernacular versions of their original language (modern examples of this are Texas German and Louisiana French). I guess we could call this "Clan German", "Clan Swedish", etc. And these languages would be difficult to understand by native speakers of the original language. 

But given the illegality of speaking non-Clan English, is it right to suggest that there is a strong prevalence of secondary languages?

I think an exception to this is what Alan wrote about Homer. There are academic (religious) reasons for a freeborn/trueborn from Homer to know another language, but that language is going to be religious in nature and may not even be used for everyday communication. It is very different to know Hebrew, Arabic, Ancient Greek to read the Torah, Quran, Bible, but those texts aren't going to tell you words for "helicopter", "LZ", "orbit", "genetics", "chatterweb", etc.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2024, 18:51:33 by cmerwin »

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2024, 19:10:59 »
Eden

One of the original colonies, part of the Pentagon Worlds, Eden has a complex history and perspective in Clan society. Once one of the agricultural breadbaskets of the Pentagon Worlds, supporting its own population over a million in early settlement days, and includes a wealth of mineral, verdant vegetable, and variety of animal species. Its largest city, Novy Moscva, was once considered one of the most sophisticated and advanced cities in the Pentagon Worlds.

It is also the historic site of so many of the Star League in Exiles tragedies, including the DeChavalier Massacre, the planet where both General Aleksandr Kerensky and his son Andery died (and Katyusha thanks to the viral Curse of Eden), and ultimately, in the wake of the founding of the Clans, Nicolas decreed that Novy Moscva should forever be left in ruins.

Possible traits: rugged, stigmatized, anything from backwards, to rebellious, to unclanlike, (maybe?) humble, rural
« Last Edit: 06 March 2024, 23:07:55 by cmerwin »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2024, 20:37:02 »
IIRC we do get a few glimpses into clan civilian life in the Jade Phoenix Trilogy (Way of the Clans and Bloodname, at least), as well as in Freebirth and (i think) Falcon Rising. maybe in Exodus Road as well. (i believe that most other Clan viewpoint books either only take place in the IS, or just don't have civilian interactions)
it might be worth rereading those with an eye to taking notes?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2024, 01:39:56 »
IIRC we do get a few glimpses into clan civilian life in the Jade Phoenix Trilogy (Way of the Clans and Bloodname, at least), as well as in Freebirth and (i think) Falcon Rising. maybe in Exodus Road as well. (i believe that most other Clan viewpoint books either only take place in the IS, or just don't have civilian interactions)
it might be worth rereading those with an eye to taking notes?

The novel about the Wolf infiltrator who ended up stealing McKenna's Pride had a significant amount of information about Clan civilian life.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2024, 06:00:09 »
That's a good list Alan Grant, I am going to keep my eye on the Clan Invasion era as my thoughts develop here.

Pentagon Worlds (once the home of the Star League in Exile, now second rate to the Clans who valued them far more in the past)
Arcadia
Babylon
Circe
Dagda
Eden

Kerensky Cluster (the heart of Clan space since the second Exodus these worlds are now at the very heart of their society)
Albion
Atreus
Barcella
Bearclaw
Brim
Delios
Foster
Gatekeeper
Glory
Grant's Station
Hector
Hellgate
Hoard
Homer
Huntress
Ironhold
Kirin
Londerholm
Lum
Marshall
New Kent
Niles
Paxon
Priori
Roche
Shadow
Sheridan
Strana Mechty
Strata Domingo
Tameron
Tathis
Tiber
Tokasha
Tanquill
Vinton
York

Non-Clan Homeworlds (separate list perhaps? Deep Periphery?) [unless there is something important I am overlooking here I'll focus on the other regions]

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2024, 07:23:46 »
Where are you getting forestry, woodworking and camping survivalism from? Is that based on something from a canon source? Just curious.

I should have noted in my original post also. I'm trying to keep this in the Clan Chatterweb, rather than it being perceived as a fan article and potentially moved by a moderator. So trying to root it in canon material and discussion/speculation that's like 1 step removed from canon sources and material. But stays on this side of the line. I think the way we do that is by continuing to frame it as a discussion based on canon sources.

The intent is mostly just fun speculative discussion on the topic.

Oh, I thought that was what I was doing, trying to do what you did in your post, like I imagined that these would be some of the thing the Lower Castes and some Warriors did enjoy ? I based it on the fact that Ironhold is a Forest World, as the Jade Falcon being GE to thrive there

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 07 March 2024, 09:13:08 »
I thought the Jade Falcon originally was created for Eden? Something I found says they were genetically bred to hunt the Eden Serpent?

Doesn't rule out the possibility of Ironhold having them. In fact it seems likely Clan Jade Falcon would import their totem to that world. I'm just not sure if that by default means Ironhold is at all dominated by woodlands or forests (enough to have a sizable impact on local cultures/sub-cultures). It's certainly a possibility. Would love to find further canon source confirmation though.

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 07 March 2024, 13:33:44 »
I thought the Jade Falcon originally was created for Eden? Something I found says they were genetically bred to hunt the Eden Serpent?

Doesn't rule out the possibility of Ironhold having them. In fact it seems likely Clan Jade Falcon would import their totem to that world. I'm just not sure if that by default means Ironhold is at all dominated by woodlands or forests (enough to have a sizable impact on local cultures/sub-cultures). It's certainly a possibility. Would love to find further canon source confirmation though.

Definitely originated on Eden, although IIRC there is mention in one of the novels of some falcons being with the JF scientist outpost on Huntress.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 13:42:28 by cmerwin »

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 07 March 2024, 13:41:56 »
I'm looking at the "Political Balance Table" from the Clan Homeworlds poster and wondering if we can surmise any traits based on shared ownership of planets. For example, 7 different Clans have enclaves on Marshall, does that make them more knowledgeable of how other Clans do things (whatever the Clan word for cosmopolitan would be). On Huntress, CSJ owns 98% of the planet, with CJF only owning 2%, I could imagine a case for the Falcons to rarely socialize with the Jags.

Likewise, if you are a Burrock from Albion (at least until 3059) it's possible that you have never met someone from another Clan (especially as a Freeborn).

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2024, 06:46:19 »
Interesting thread, thanks for starting Alan Grant.

I'm looking at the "Political Balance Table" from the Clan Homeworlds poster and wondering if we can surmise any traits based on shared ownership of planets. For example, 7 different Clans have enclaves on Marshall, does that make them more knowledgeable of how other Clans do things (whatever the Clan word for cosmopolitan would be). On Huntress, CSJ owns 98% of the planet, with CJF only owning 2%, I could imagine a case for the Falcons to rarely socialize with the Jags.

Likewise, if you are a Burrock from Albion (at least until 3059) it's possible that you have never met someone from another Clan (especially as a Freeborn).

From my own reading of Clan history it would seem that homeworld denizens can be divided into two categories. On a capital world like Ironhold, Sheridan or Hector that are wholly owned by a single Clan it's possible for entire generations to be born, live and die without ever really interacting with another Clan. Kind of like 'core' worlds in a Successor State that rarely or never get invaded.

Then you have other worlds like Marshall, Londerholm or the Pentagon where enclaves can change hands fairly easily and you are more likely to find yourself in a new Clan at least once in a lifetime. Then there's a common hub in Strana Mechty where people rub shoulders with different Clanners all the time. These worlds are more akin to the border regions of the Successor States during the Succession Wars where denizens interact more with foreigners.

Just my $0.02.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2024, 18:22:28 »
System Fasa

It was abandoned by the Pentagon Worlds and stripped by the Clans of everything, but is listed as a rich mineral and a water world as well. Never re-colonized after the Pentagon Wars, which is strange.

I think because of the name and "its" meaning from a developers point of veiw, as they (might) wanted to distant themselves as they pushed forward after the translation of ownership?

My speculations.

But to leave a "canon" system unknown and closed off for non-canon lore reasons is abhor to the waste not-want not way of the clans. I mean, if they had said full outright nuclear usage that radioactive the planet in question, yeah, a reason not to try to recolonize it, but no such thing. Other than the Clans showed up and stripped it, never to return...

TT

Side note: Circe

The following picture is what I have problems with.
Can anyone Identify the Vessel boosting upwards? While rest are downward pointing?

Reason I am asking, is if the picture is supposed to be Circe, then that date stamp of that picture of the vessel is way off. Look at its induction birth date verse that "Timestamp" and you will see.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2024, 18:46:39 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #20 on: 10 March 2024, 19:41:10 »

Can anyone Identify the Vessel boosting upwards? While rest are downward pointing?

Reason I am asking, is if the picture is supposed to be Circe, then that date stamp of that picture of the vessel is way off. Look at its induction birth date verse that "Timestamp" and you will see.

Presumably it's a Vincent Mark 39, despite its look. Hardly the only WarShip artwork discrepancy we've seen in BattleTech over the years. I wouldn't worry about it.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 10 March 2024, 19:59:48 »
It just bothered me...

But cool. The descripting for it is also "off", but not judging.

Thanks, Tassa!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #22 on: 10 March 2024, 20:35:54 »
System Fasa

It was abandoned by the Pentagon Worlds and stripped by the Clans of everything, but is listed as a rich mineral and a water world as well. Never re-colonized after the Pentagon Wars, which is strange.

I think because of the name and "its" meaning from a developers point of veiw, as they (might) wanted to distant themselves as they pushed forward after the translation of ownership?

My speculations.

But to leave a "canon" system unknown and closed off for non-canon lore reasons is abhor to the waste not-want not way of the clans. I mean, if they had said full outright nuclear usage that radioactive the planet in question, yeah, a reason not to try to recolonize it, but no such thing. Other than the Clans showed up and stripped it, never to return...

TT

You'd have to get a Clan to want to go there and resettle Fasa in the first place. Then you'd probably have to get the green light from the Grand Council. I see two issues with resettlement including a possible taint of historical association with those who settled it. Yeah, it wasn't the Not Named Clan but rebels from the Pentagon Worlds who rejected Kerensky aren't likely to emulated. Unless, going to my secondary issue security. Perhaps it's a Bandit Caste draw due to said association and literally a thirst trap for anyone trying to escape the Pentagon Worlds. Said nearby world would be under constant surveillance by the Clans for any signs of activity. Just my best guess.

I'd agree with the Vincent Mk 39 identification but I have to read up on Sable Sun for more info of the action.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2024, 20:44:59 by Takiro »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 10 March 2024, 23:00:33 »
Sable Run was just recon quietly by the clans that ended after 4 or so years of observing.

Klondike started right after when the initial attacks began, each system was observed in question. When the attacks came, and anyone jumped was attacked, starting the ball rolling in that system.

If no one "heard" what was happening elsewhere, quite observations continued, until the Clan timetable happed for that system. Pretty much by surprise.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 11 March 2024, 15:36:20 »
Interesting thread, thanks for starting Alan Grant.

From my own reading of Clan history it would seem that homeworld denizens can be divided into two categories. On a capital world like Ironhold, Sheridan or Hector that are wholly owned by a single Clan it's possible for entire generations to be born, live and die without ever really interacting with another Clan. Kind of like 'core' worlds in a Successor State that rarely or never get invaded.

True

And not just generations but pretty much entire history of particular Clan in question

I wrote about Roche and it's a perfect example: From Widowmaker Absorption to Wars of Reaving it was split 80:20 between two friendly Clans who didn't trial for territory on top of being considered out of the way and undesirable so the population living there would have developed all the features of a nation state

All their ancestors lived there, outsiders stayed outside and that place was fully considered to be their home and not just territorial possession

It's also one of the reasons why they were so tightly knit and why when their leaders (Wolves and Scorpions) at different times said it's time to leave they pretty much all packed up and left: their nations were moving and they moved with them

Contrast this with Nova Cats for example who transferred decent number of their civilians to (I think) Cloud Cobras before leaving, these could have been civilians from one of more "fluid" areas you described

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 11 March 2024, 17:49:48 »
We have a couple Turning Points books, Foster and Tokasha that also shed a lot of light on those worlds.

Foster is particularly interesting. This land of thick tree forests (the planetary map suggests it isn't as widespread as the wording would have us believe, but still rather prevalent). Almost unpassable to the point of even hindering 'mech movement, dotted with settlements, even the odd dark caste settlement because it's so tight in the forests that it's easy to hide. Heavy lumber operations to keep the agricultural land clear of encroaching massive hometrees, an unusually large number of industrial mechs tending crops, holding back the hometrees and fighting fires. Common wildfires (known as hellfires) that require firefighting from industrial mechs, aircraft and everything else. Generally less developed than some other worlds. With its agricultural output being used to feed other places that can't grow as much food.

At least as of the time of Turning Points: Foster, set in 2872. I can only assume not much changed in the decades since.

I'm not sure what sub-culture(s) exactly. Definitely feels like a good origin story for an industrial 'mech driver, or firefighting aircraft pilot, or a technician/laborer with experience with firefighting. But even a character framed as a "Foster Dark Caste Settlement member" feels rather distinctly possible here.

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 12 March 2024, 18:00:23 »
Contrast this with Nova Cats for example who transferred decent number of their civilians to (I think) Cloud Cobras before leaving, these could have been civilians from one of more "fluid" areas you described

Close. We ceded planets, population, etc. to the Diamond Sharks (an old ally) and to some extent the Snow Ravens, who helped with transportation, although they also attacked Nova Cat planets during the Abjuration.

But I think your point still stands.

It does make me wonder about how deep inter-Clan friendships go. Would the average Nova Cat freebirth consider the Sharks a special ally and have less difficulty adapting to their culture?

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 12 March 2024, 18:16:31 »
I'm not sure what sub-culture(s) exactly. Definitely feels like a good origin story for an industrial 'mech driver, or firefighting aircraft pilot, or a technician/laborer with experience with firefighting. But even a character framed as a "Foster Dark Caste Settlement member" feels rather distinctly possible here.

Thanks for bringing up Turning Points: Foster! Certainly does sound like a good place to hide if you are Dark Caste! The dark Forest of Gems also probably has a heavy logging community. I could imagine a Clan version of the opening chapters of Ghost War and Sam Donelly, and an insurrectionist Dark Caste cell. Also interesting that it has ruins on it.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #28 on: 12 March 2024, 19:00:24 »
Also interesting that it has ruins on it.

That's the former Blood Spirit settlement of Passat, which was destroyed by a Hellfire (basically, a forest fire resulting from the dead Hometrees accumulating within the swampland and forming coal beds, mixed with the vast waste heaps from their logging as they weren't taking proper precautions yet) in the early days of their settlement of the planet.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2024, 19:03:59 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

cmerwin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 12 March 2024, 19:11:37 »
That's the former Blood Spirit settlement of Passat, which was destroyed by a Hellfire (basically, a forest fire resulting from the dead Hometrees accumulating within the swampland and forming coal beds, mixed with the vast waste heaps from their logging as they weren't taking proper precautions yet) in the early days of their settlement of the planet.

Awesome! Thanks for this. I figured as a Blood Spirit planet you might know something about it. What source is that in? TP: Foster? I love the idea of ruins on Clan worlds.