Author Topic: Crew protection via PA(L)/Exoskeleton  (Read 10209 times)

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
  • Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
    • Message me on Telegram
Re: Crew protection via PA(L)/Exoskeleton
« Reply #30 on: 26 February 2023, 18:46:56 »
So, this protective exoskeleton plus a damage interrupt circuit would together significantly increase the mechwarrior's chances of survival~

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 28 July 2023, 22:35:35 »
Thanks to Retry in this post, I decided to make a modified version with Stealth Armor to make the pilot harder to hit.  At only 4,000 C-Bills more per suit, this would be a good investment.  Good call Retry!

Code: [Select]
Survival & Environmentally protected Powered Exoskeleton - Stealth version
Type: New
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown

Tech Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Chassis Type:  Biped
Weight Class: Ultra Light/PA(L)/Exoskeleton
Maximum Weight: 400 kg
Battle Value: 44
Cost per Suit: 329,000 (1,316,000 for 4 suits)
Swarm/Leg Attack/Mechanized/AP: Yes/Yes/Yes/No (the suit is capable of doing so, but the wearer is not recommended)

Equipment                                     Slots      Mass
Chassis:                                                80 kg
Motive System:                                               
     Ground MP:          1                               0 kg
     Jump MP:            1                              25 kg
Manipulators:                                                 
    Left Arm:            Armored Gloves                  0 kg
    Right Arm:           Armored Gloves                  0 kg
Armor:                   Stealth (Basic)        3      110 kg
    Armor Value:         3 (2 from the armor and 1 for the Trooper)                         

Slots           
Weapons and Equipment         Location (Capacity)   Mass 
Mission Equipment Storage       Body       0        85 kg
Space Operations Adaptation     Body       1       100 kg
Vibro-Shovel                    None       0         0 kg 
« Last Edit: 01 August 2023, 20:23:15 by idea weenie »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #32 on: 29 July 2023, 06:56:28 »
I really don’t think you need the Space Operations Adaptation gear for your suit.  You’re designing this as an E&E suit for ground use; but that gear is adding mag boots and maneuvering thrusters for use in microgravity.  Just saying your exoskeleton is sealed should suffice for your purposes, which would free up mass for the extended life support.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 29 July 2023, 07:03:43 »
Extended Life Support is something you definitely want for an E&E suit.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 01 August 2023, 20:22:45 »
I really don’t think you need the Space Operations Adaptation gear for your suit.  You’re designing this as an E&E suit for ground use; but that gear is adding mag boots and maneuvering thrusters for use in microgravity.  Just saying your exoskeleton is sealed should suffice for your purposes, which would free up mass for the extended life support.

The Space Adaptation tech was to cover the Exoskeleton being able to handle a variety of environments to keep the wearer alive.  It first has to handle fire/explosion/shrapnel/ejection from the unit being destroyed, then keep the wearer alive for long enough to reach a friendly unit.

But you are right, the Extended Life Support would save me 75 kg.  Next version of the suit will have that.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2023, 03:15:20 »
A Handheld Searchlight in the Torso might help...

Gotta see and be seen during rescue.

Maybe enough space for an AP built in weapon?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 11 September 2023, 07:34:33 »
Indeed, I'm inclined to agree with much of what has been said.  Space Operations Adaptation is not even required for a suit in vacuum, ELS allows for 24 hour operation in any sealed environment such as vacuum etc.  I wouldn't bother with mounted weapons, a silenced SMG in the mission equipment pack and an AR in the cockpit or something similar would do the job, you do not want to be engaging enemy armour.

Best way to avoid a fight of course, no be there.  Which is why my ground operation suit proposal comes with just 75KG of mission equipment but
3 ground MP + Mechanical jump booster for a running speed of over 40kph.  2 points of standard stealth armour makes it a hard target to hit, especially at these speeds and the extended life support keeps it running for 24 hours in any environment.

If aerial manoeuvres are expected, e.g. for ASF pilots or Mechs in microgravity then the Mechanical booster can be switched for regular jump jets for 2 Jump MP.   

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 11 September 2023, 07:40:52 »
I'd be inclined to regular jump jets anyway... the more you have, the higher obstacles you can clear.  And three would let you get up a cliff a 'mech without jets can't climb.

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 11 September 2023, 10:32:36 »
I'd be inclined to regular jump jets anyway... the more you have, the higher obstacles you can clear.  And three would let you get up a cliff a 'mech without jets can't climb.

I was torn and I think you're probably right. 1/3 is slower on the flat but faster through rough terrain and has a few other little benefits, like clearing areas some units can't follow and being more consistently difficult to hit as well as being 25kg lighter.  I always feel bouncing around lacks a certain level of stealth that ground movement gives you which is why I went for ground MP but I'm not sure there are any rules that actually support that anyway.

It's not terribly more expensive to make the suit light and stick a Jump Booster in it - not changing anything else you hit about 550KG instead of the PA(L)s 400 with 100KG of mission equipment.  Costs an extra 75k per suit but jump 4 can shift. Still, we're probably going off track at that point - and certainly if we increase the armour to 6 and go up to the 750KG limit :p

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 11 September 2023, 11:17:06 »
It's actually the same speed on the flat, just not stealthy, though I could see using the jets like Armored Core does (basically, speed skates).  Still not stealthy, but at least it keeps you from being skeet... ;D

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 12 September 2023, 12:32:05 »
This concept makes me think of a primitive form of the Honorverse's Skin Suit, just without all the augmentations.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 13 September 2023, 03:25:48 »
It's actually the same speed on the flat, just not stealthy, though I could see using the jets like Armored Core does (basically, speed skates).  Still not stealthy, but at least it keeps you from being skeet... ;D

Is it?  3 Jump MP is not the same speed as 4 Ground MP.  Mechanical Jump Booster increases your ground MP by 1.  I think you might be right that 3 jump MP is preferably though

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 13 September 2023, 08:44:07 »
I totally forgot the Mechanical Jump Booster increases ground speed...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #43 on: 13 September 2023, 12:57:19 »
This concept makes me think of a primitive form of the Honorverse's Skin Suit, just without all the augmentations.

Skinsuits weren't augmented, though - the Marine battlearmor was.  For that matter, Battletech has pretty close equivalents to the Honorverse skinsuit, like the SLDF Navy's engineer's uniform, or the Capellan Asuncion escape suit, which is purportedly becoming the standard uniform for their Navy.  ComStar uses a similar suit for their space marines too.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 15 September 2023, 19:01:45 »
Version 2 of the E&E suit:
Code: [Select]
E&E Suit, now with more oxygen and movement
Type: New
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown

Tech Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Chassis Type:  Biped
Weight Class: Ultra Light/PA(L)/Exoskeleton
Maximum Weight: 400 kg
Battle Value: 47
Cost: 439,500 each (1,758,000 for 4)
Swarm/Leg Attack/Mechanized/AP: Yes/Yes/Yes/No (suit is capable of doing so, the pilot is not recommended)

Equipment                                     Slots      Mass
Chassis:                                                80 kg
Motive System:                                               
     Ground MP:          2                               0 kg
     Jump MP:            3                              75 kg
Manipulators:                                                 
    Left Arm:            Armored Gloves                  0 kg
    Right Arm:           Armored Gloves                  0 kg
Armor:                   Stealth (Basic)        3      110 kg
    Armor Value:         3 (2 Stealth Armor + 1 for the Trooper)                         

Slots           
Weapons and Equipment             Location (Capacity)   Mass 
Extended Life Support               Body       1       25 kg 
Vibro-Shovel                        None       0        0 kg 
Searchlight                       Left Arm     1        5 kg 
Mission Equipment Storage (55 kg)   Body       1       55 kg 
Mechanical Jump Booster             Body       0       50 kg 

So 100,000 C-Bills more per suit than the previous version in reply #31, but much faster and longer lasting.  All the slots are used up, so nothing else can be put in.

Mechanical Jump Booster is for when you don't want to silhouette yourself for enemy target practice, at the expense of 1/3 your ground speed.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 15 September 2023, 19:45:18 »
What's the Vibro-Shovel do in damage?

I can see it doing digging excavations in rescue, possibly used to break a branch for fire, maybe blunt or a stabbing action, but the TW scale damage?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 15 September 2023, 19:55:17 »
What's the Vibro-Shovel do in damage?

I can see it doing digging excavations in rescue, possibly used to break a branch for fire, maybe blunt or a stabbing action, but the TW scale damage?

TT

No idea what the damage would be.  Infantry attacks from long range will be neutered by the Stealth armor, and at short range they will be spade.   :grin:

But seriously, sometimes you just need a shovel.  At zero kg, the main cost to bringing the shovel is using up a slot.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 15 September 2023, 20:26:35 »
Here lies poor Fritz. Death by shovel...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 16 September 2023, 18:49:47 »
Here lies poor Fritz. Death by shovel...

TT
ran into the Death Korps of Krieg?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 26 September 2023, 16:46:25 »
Skinsuits weren't augmented, though - the Marine battlearmor was.  For that matter, Battletech has pretty close equivalents to the Honorverse skinsuit, like the SLDF Navy's engineer's uniform, or the Capellan Asuncion escape suit, which is purportedly becoming the standard uniform for their Navy.  ComStar uses a similar suit for their space marines too.

Actually, they were a little augmented because they are so heavy, just less then the PA(L) suit being suggested.  I realize that my order of statement was in error to make you think otherwise.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 26 September 2023, 17:33:58 »
Um... I did a whole thread on Skinsuits, and fixed the link in my sig block.  I gave them no Attribute augmentation, but also allowed their armor values (total of 5, enough to be Divisor 1) to stack without penalty.

Register