BattleTech Miniatures and Terrain > Hobby Tips and Tricks

Painting different units with similar but clearly different paint schemes.

(1/2) > >>

CanvasBack:
How do you keep them clearly differentiated? Or do you?

If you decided to paint Kell Hounds one project then switched to Wolf's Dragoons Black Widow Company for the next. What would you do to make the Red/black stand apart from the black/red? Does it all come down to surface area and chroma of the red? Or would it be down to using appropriate decals? There are probably MANY other examples so use the one you're thinking of in response or play with this one.

Luciora:
Patterns of colors, ratios of colors, and appropriate decals for me.  The black and red of the Lexington Combat Group is different than say the Robinson Rangers or the Kell Hounds.  LCG has a stripe on the left side, Robinson Rangers is more red with maybe random black camo splotches kind of a 70/30 mix, while Kells seem to me maybe to be more a symmetrical 50/50 red and black, with the black trim on the legs and upper arms.  Wolf Dragoons have more black than red, with symmetric red trim. 

There are ways to keep them distinct.  Decals always help though.

Hellraiser:
The Dragoons are "highlights" so less of them over all in terms of the Red than the Kells who are closer to 50/50.

Also, if you'll notice the Kells in many of their images have sort of a Boots, Gloves, Torso coverage for the Red & the Black is often on the Upper Arms & Thighs.
That particular pattern isn't on every image but its common enough that I follow it & use it to make them different from other Black/Red schemes.
I sort of think of it as a Mechwarrior with Cooling Vest with Heat Resistant Boots/Gloves like you see in many of the older art from the SW.

The Tikonov Republican Guards do their Red/Black in a "quartered" pattern on each mech with Upper/Right & Lower/Left matching in color v/s & the other 2 being the opposite color.

Meanwhile the Skye Rangers do an all Red Torso/Legs while just the Arms are fully painted black.

Check out Camospecs.com for great pics to reference.

worktroll:
The other thing I do is paint the edges of the hex bases in factional colours. So the Tikonovs got alternating black & red sides, the Wolf's Dragoons would get grey (mercs), Robinson Rangers would get mustard, and so on.

Hellraiser:

--- Quote from: worktroll on 10 April 2024, 01:17:11 ---The other thing I do is paint the edges of the hex bases in factional colours. So the Tikonovs got alternating black & red sides, the Wolf's Dragoons would get grey (mercs), Robinson Rangers would get mustard, and so on.
--- End quote ---

I do this as well.
Gold for the Suns,  Red for the DC,   Silver for Mercs ($$),   Flat Grey for the Wolves,   Charcoal for the Jags,  etc etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version